• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious Question: Why not Rusty LaRue as our next coach?

Serious answer: No.

Talk to me when he's reached the point where he has coached a mid major team to the tournament. As a head coach.

Last edited:
He has no real HC experience at this level. I don't think it's fair to say he's not a good coach when he hasn't exactly been trained by the best...coaching at a private school and GSO College (no scholarships, no recruiting) isn't an accurate barometer of his coaching ability, either.

He needs experience. He needs to be trained by a good coach, surrounded by a good staff and be involved with a winning program so that he can really recruit and sell a school to a top level athlete. Then he can be fairly evaluated. Same for Childress. Neither of them should be our next HC.

Not sure if the poster is on this board but I thought this was interesting from the scout board:

"Has anybody been on a road trip with the Deacs and been present during the scouting presentations? A friend of mine has and although he was not completely Bzzout prior he quickly decided that coach has to go. He said that [Redacted] could be the most uninspiring person he has ever heard speak, He did a power point presentation that could have been the most bland and boring power point presentation ever. He noted how it did not have the attention of the players. Also very apparent was how Childress kept his distance from the other coaches and seemed to disagree with the scouting report coordinated by a different assistant (game and assistant coach in charge of the scouting report withheld so no powers that be can figure out what game and thus who was completely unimpressed). He also noted that either Randolph did not like or feel close to [Redacted] and the other assistants or they were treating Childress as an outsider. My friend did not think that LaRue demonstrated much more personality than [Redacted] on this trip either."

Rusty was responsible for the most embarrassing recruiting failure in recent memory. If it came down to it, I'd have to say Rusty versus letting the players coach themselves would be a coin flip. Codi looked pretty solid explaining to [Redacted] why they missed rotating to the 2nd pass shooter last night, plus they fixed it on the next possession. Devin can do PR. Rountree and Overton can recruit. Moto can handle strength/conditioning. Cav can gameplan.

Not sure if the poster is on this board but I thought this was interesting from the scout board:

"Has anybody been on a road trip with the Deacs and been present during the scouting presentations? A friend of mine has and although he was not completely Bzzout prior he quickly decided that coach has to go. He said that [Redacted] could be the most uninspiring person he has ever heard speak, He did a power point presentation that could have been the most bland and boring power point presentation ever. He noted how it did not have the attention of the players. Also very apparent was how Childress kept his distance from the other coaches and seemed to disagree with the scouting report coordinated by a different assistant (game and assistant coach in charge of the scouting report withheld so no powers that be can figure out what game and thus who was completely unimpressed). He also noted that either Randolph did not like or feel close to [Redacted] and the other assistants or they were treating Childress as an outsider. My friend did not think that LaRue demonstrated much more personality than [Redacted] on this trip either."

I wouldn't read too much into Childress's behavior. He's cool like that. Super nice, friendly guy but if you see him sitting alone or away from people, it's not a huge deal.

Also...Rusty isn't Mr. Charisma, but he's not Bz, either. He's a very reserved,to-the-point kind of person. He could never sell a car.

As far as staff chemistry, it's about what you would expect from a staff put together by the AD and not the coach. I'm not sure they gel or that the different personalities compliment each other.

Is it just me, or is it kind of pathetic that Rusty plays in the intramural grad-faculty bball league at Wake?

What IM league would he play in?

LaRue. Jesus Christ, I swear that between LaRue and Russell Fucking Turner, the AD's office is floating names on this board just to piss us off more and make us think that Buzz is better than any potential replacements they're considering.

"We should just hire Rusty to be head coach!"
"We should just make Chill head coach!"
"Muggsy would be a great head coach for us!"
etc.

What is it with these people and their insane belief that popular players would be a good choice for a head coach? Please make it stop.

Exactly

LaRue. Jesus Christ, I swear that between LaRue and Russell Fucking Turner, the AD's office is floating names on this board just to piss us off more and make us think that Buzz is better than any potential replacements they're considering.

Don't give Brangus too much credit. He wasn't floated this stupid idea from the AD, he came up with it all on his own.

I would like to see Childress stay in some capacity. I just think he has the "it factor" that can rub off on the players when it isn't getting counteracted by the bad Bzzz mojo. However, I do feel that the new coach should have complete freedom to assemble his own staff and if that means Chill gets left out then so be it.

Childress will have a job in the Wake Athletics Department for as long as he wants it. May not be an assistant basketball coach, but Wellman will take care of him. I wouldn't sweat that at all.

The fact of the matter is neither Childress nor Larue should have ever been hired as an assistant basketball coach here. I love both of them for what they contributed as players here, but neither of them would have even been considered for this job if they had not played here. I think that having an inexperienced staff has been at least part of the problem the last couple years. Jeff Battle can't do everything himself.

Last edited:
Isn't Brangus the guy who got drunk and had relations with a donkey?

The fact of the matter is neither Childress nor Larue should have ever been hired as an assistant basketball coach here. I love both of them for what they contributed as players here, but neither of them would have even been considered for this job if they had not played here. I think that having an inexperienced staff has been at least part of the problem the last couple years. Jeff Battle can't do everything himself.

Yeah, it says something if Rusty and Randolph end up working in the AD next year (as Braces predicts). You would think our assistant coaches would be passionate enough to want to stay in coaching and marketable enough to be able to find something with another team.

Rusty will be coaching next near. Probably as an assistant in the Southern Conference.

Wake should never, ever, ever, ever hire a coach with no D-1 head coaching experience. We are too good a job for that. I don't care who he is or what he did at Wake as a player or assistant coach

This cracks me up. I just disagree. Roy Williams was a pretty good hire for Kansas. Dean smith was a pretty good hire for UNC.

This cracks me up. I just disagree. Roy Williams was a pretty good hire for Kansas. Dean smith was a pretty good hire for UNC.

Oh yeah, the college basketball landscape in 2014 is definitely the same as it was in 1961. Great point.

Back