• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious Question: Why not Rusty LaRue as our next coach?

This may be Brangus' most unpopular opinion.

Brangus, are you the poster f/k/a HateTheBowdens?

I still suspect that the negative vibe around LaRue is mostly due to [Redacted]'s failures as a coach and human being, but it looks like that is incurable...I withdraw my suggestion...but I hope Ron doesn't step on our collective dicks with the next hire. He is good with facilities, but hires...we'll see how Clawson does...he failed in the SEC...I just don't have faith in mid major farm league type HC hires. But I have no input in the process (lower tier DC member) so WGAF.

So Larue's failures are due to a poor head coach but Clawson was a failure in his one year as an OC in the SEC with a coach on the hot seat?

You lost me at "Serious question: Why not Rusty"...

Serious question: Remove the name and look at the resume. Does his resume even make it past the assistant who opens the mail in the AD's office?

LOL I hear you! Point made. Jeez I gave in on the first page. I have a feeling there are going to be some folks who are underwhelmed by who will take this job though...not because of a LOWF attitude, but because Bz really trashed the program, and there will be easier rebuilding projects out there for top talent coaches to take. Even with all that Wake is a great job, with (what will soon be) great facilities and a great reputation for putting guys into the NBA. So there's hope.

What chance has he had? How do you know? Anyone would look bad working for Bz.

Why would we want to hire a coach and then hope in the absence of evidence that he will become a good head coach for us? Didn't we already do that? No thanks. He seems like he is in bed with Buzz and his experience is coaching high school kids and under Buzz.

From the official web site, excerpts from Rusty's biography

"Following his professional basketball playing days, LaRue spent one season as the head basketball coach at Greensboro College in 2004-05.

Most recently, LaRue was the athletic director and head boys' basketball coach at Forsyth Country Day School in Winston-Salem. He spent four seasons in charge of the Furies basketball program and three seasons as athletic director....

2006-09 (4 seasons) Athletic Director and Head Boy's Basketball Coach, Forsyth Country Day School in Winston-Salem, N.C.
2009 (1 season) Assistant Football Coach, Forsyth Country Day School
2007-08 (2 seasons) Head Football Coach, Forsyth Country Day School
2006 (1 season) Assistant Football Coach, Forsyth Country Day School
2005 (1 season) Head Coach, Greensboro College"

Notice that the bio does not tout great records for his coaching except for football. There is a reason for that. This is not the resume of someone who is prepared to take over as head coach at Wake.

Matt Dougherty, Sydney Lowe.... ask the Holes and Pack how hiring a beloved ex-player as head coach can work out for your program and then ask "why not Rusty Larue."

What chance has he had? How do you know? Anyone would look bad working for Bz.

He's looked pretty bad at every spot and he's never won. I'm sorry, love affair with Rusty aside, I don't want him to be our coach.

Lets not forget "Let's make Frank Johnson our coach".

And I'm not in favor of any coach , ANYONE , associated with [Redacted] to continue working at Wake. That sounds harsh for Larue and Childress but coaching is a bitch of business and they knew that when they accepted a job with [Redacted]. I even think we should replace [Redacted]'s secretary (just kidding...sortof)

Notice that the bio does not tout great records for his coaching except for football. There is a reason for that. This is not the resume of someone who is prepared to take over as head coach at Wake.

Hell, it's not the resume of someone prepared to be an assistant at Wake Forest.

I've thought about this hard for the last 3.5 seconds, and one thing has become clear. I would, literally, rather not have a basketball team than hire someone from within the (so-called) organization. This is not (quite) so much about the merits of those within as it is the need to start fresh.

only if the goal is to find someone less qualified than [Redacted].

seriously?

Lets not forget "Let's make Frank Johnson our coach".

And I'm not in favor of any coach , ANYONE , associated with [Redacted] to continue working at Wake. That sounds harsh for Larue and Childress but coaching is a bitch of business and they knew that when they accepted a job with [Redacted]. I even think we should replace [Redacted]'s secretary (just kidding...sortof)

I would like to see Childress stay in some capacity. I just think he has the "it factor" that can rub off on the players when it isn't getting counteracted by the bad Bzzz mojo. However, I do feel that the new coach should have complete freedom to assemble his own staff and if that means Chill gets left out then so be it.

Maybe the dumbest OP question ever. Jesus.

Back