• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sharing a room on a business trip

You live in DC and end up at Howard. I got stuck in a room with a dying cancer patient who literally had the priest visit him at 3am the one night I was there.

I had great insurance, too. Which is part of the reason they even wanted to check me in for monitoring overnight.

Samesies. Cept Washington Hospital Center.

2023952b77c608e90759660c4c0fbdbf.jpg

I've spent hundreds of nights in shared hotel rooms for my side job as a tennis umpire (I'm actually posting from one right now). It's pretty much par for the course at all levels of the sport, even at big tournaments like the U.S. Open (though sometimes rich schools (aka Duke) will get you your own room for college matches). Most of the time it's not too bad because I have a group of like 5 people that I'm pretty good friends with and can usually find get one of them to room with me.

Every once in awhile you get stuck with someone who you don't know very well, which can be awkward, but on the flip side you can get to know some really interesting people outside of work. I once roomed with this guy from Egypt and learned a ton about the political situation over there that I never would have known otherwise. The weirdest time was when I roomed with a guy from China and he brought a massive suitcase completely filled with food with him and was making his own soups and stuff in the hotel microwave.

That's a cool side gig.

I've spent hundreds of nights in shared hotel rooms for my side job as a tennis umpire (I'm actually posting from one right now). It's pretty much par for the course at all levels of the sport, even at big tournaments like the U.S. Open (though sometimes rich schools (aka Duke) will get you your own room for college matches). Most of the time it's not too bad because I have a group of like 5 people that I'm pretty good friends with and can usually find get one of them to room with me.

Every once in awhile you get stuck with someone who you don't know very well, which can be awkward, but on the flip side you can get to know some really interesting people outside of work. I once roomed with this guy from Egypt and learned a ton about the political situation over there that I never would have known otherwise. The weirdest time was when I roomed with a guy from China and he brought a massive suitcase completely filled with food with him and was making his own soups and stuff in the hotel microwave.

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!

I shared a room at a couple conferences with a bro who would bring his own alcohol and food to reheat at the hotel. He would also call the front desk the second we arrived to request a fridge if there wasn't one - if he met any resistance, he would claim he needed it for insulin shots (he was not a diabetic). Then, he would supplement his travel food with stuff from the concierge lounge. He had major travel points and rewards because he would always book all of our department's travel expenses on personal cards and get reimbursed. Dude was a major spendthrift; it was kind of impressive.

i would dig this though not possible for us

2. We have no-talking mornings three times a week

My boss went on a meditation retreat and then came back and asked our team if we’d like to try a no-talking Monday morning. We said sure, and everyone enjoyed the half day of quiet to do some more writing than usual. But then he asked, since it had gone so well, whether we should do no-talking three mornings a week. And since he’s the boss, we said yes.

Back