• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sharing a room on a business trip

At my first job we had roommates at brand new hire staff training when there were like 1,000 of us in one hotel. And to make it worse they picked your roommate so instead of at least rooming with a buddy from your office/city you ended up with some booger eater from Newark or something.

I worked for a software company that got bought up by a large, global tech firm. Let's just say...we all know them.

It was about 3 yrs ago and we were having a US sales meeting at Disney. We were told to find a roommate or one would be assigned.

Not kidding.

I worked for a software company that got bought up by a large, global tech firm. Let's just say...we all know them.

It was about 3 yrs ago and we were having a US sales meeting at Disney. We were told to find a roommate or one would be assigned.

Not kidding.

I'd find a "roommate" I was comfortable with, i.e. someone else who thought it was total b.s., and then go half-sies on another room. Then sit back and enjoy all the "damn, wish I had thought of that" comments.

Yeah, but then you're still having to go out of pocket for direct work expenses, which is pretty f-ed up, but maybe it's a price you're willing to pay not to have a roomie.

The manager/partner need to either find savings elsewhere in the budget (hey partner, how about stop charging a full day to the contract when all you did was come out and shoot the shit for a couple hours), or just eat the cost then sack up at the end of the year and take the lower realization on the contract instead of wussing out and hoping this preserves their budgeted realization without them having to actually be more efficient with their work.

Better still sack up and tell your clients you care more about your people than their bullshit

I'm doing this next week, for my companies annual event they make everyone share a room from the top down. The only good part is it is in Stockholm, so that's cool. It's not all that bad, have had many worse experiences than rooming with a coworker.

Better still sack up and tell your clients you care more about your people than their bullshit

Yeah I almost added that but it smells to me like a situation where they bid real low to get the work and are now dicking around with the budget to make it work. Can't imagine they'd accept a client situation where the client requires doubling up on staff to save costs, but idk. If that's the case then yeah, shoulda cut that shit out when accepting the engagement.

How many nights are we talking and where? If it's 12 extra nights in Goldsboro at the Hampton inn Then the firm can fuck off. Just eat the cost.

Hopefully you don't work for my firm. :couch:

I've shared a room on business trips a number of times, even when sweet, sweet grant money is footing the bill. Being an academic isn't very luxurious. I'll be sharing with a dude in NYC in a couple of weeks, and I'm hosting another dude on my couch in April.

On the other hand, when it's per diem, I spend that like nobody's business. Who the hell needs an extra $50 on cash when they could have some great meals on the company? Especially if you wouldn't eat at those place normally.

Then again, I'm flying in a bunch of people in late April for a symposium, and I'm sure as shit not making them share rooms.

I think it is much different to share rooms in an environment when everyone travels once or twice a year for an annual conference or training event, but professional services is a whole different ball game. I don't know how long an audit engagement is, but in my world engagements last from four weeks to a year plus. Because of duration, travel in this environment isn't a big party where you set up your OOO and can get away with your productivity falling to almost nothing. That hotel room is your only peace in the day to really focus on things and get shit done.

Another topic/another day, but how bad would it be to have a non-private hospital room? But OTOH, at least there's that curtain thing between you and the other dude.

Semi private hospital rooms are terrible. It's kind of like this, but with less dignity.

bscap0017oj2.jpg

you take those talents to south beach (lobby, gym etc). you don't drop the deuce in a room you are sharing.

This. Who shits in their hotel bathroom when they're sharing a room? Executionable offense.

Another topic/another day, but how bad would it be to have a non-private hospital room? But OTOH, at least there's that curtain thing between you and the other dude.

I've shared a hospital room for a night twice. once, this dude and I got our morphine drips synched up, watched simpsons and had races to see which one of us could push the button fastest once the allowable time expired between doses. It was basically like I was sitting on the couch in my apartment watching tv and getting drunk with my friends. The other time was not as cool, since this kid was legit fucked up. Was in some kind of accident and was in all sorts of pain. Way less fun.

Back