• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sharing a room on a business trip

i don't take issue with that. more that you get the max per diem whether you spend it or not. in the non govt world i have a max per day but have to turn in receipts to prove i spent the money. don't get an extra check for that week long trip.

Maybe just bring a tent and sleep outside. No expenses at all!!

My girlfriend had a super rich client that does just that. We are talking buy all of DRs businesses with his wallet money rich. They were having some financial retreat at Chateau Elan or some resort like that here in Georgia and this dude just straight up camps in the woods in the back of the property. So rich who are they to question this weirdo.

I'm definitely this person when per diem is involved.

If I'm somewhere that I might not return soon, I'm going out and sampling their restaurants.

If I'm somewhere that I might not return soon, I'm going out and sampling their restaurants.

I've done this... but for the most part, I do what I can to walk away with cash. I know this surprises nobody (evidence in post above by DSD).

What a miserable way to live, can't even let loose and enjoy a $15 lunch when paid for on business trips?

Last edited:
I usually lose money on trips because I like to go out.

Last trip, the resort comped my stay and we just billed back to the room. It was fabu.

I defs lose money on business trips. I spend a galactic fuckton on bars and restaurants.

What a miserable way to live, can't even let loose and enjoy a $15 lunch when paid for on business trips?

Meh, when I went to DC I had yogurt for breakfast and then made a sammiches and packed sandwich + fruit for lunch (basically what I do here every day) and took that to the mall to eat there and then go to museums. Then I would go out for dinner. Single plate dinner still wasn't hitting the $75 per diem or whatever it was.

But you're right, it's a miserable way to live. Absolutely miserable. I feel so deprived, and I'm definitely suffering at the hand of my decisions.

Meh, when I went to DC I had yogurt for breakfast and then made a sammiches and packed sandwich + fruit for lunch (basically what I do here every day) and took that to the mall to eat there and then go to museums. Then I would go out for dinner. Single plate dinner still wasn't hitting the $75 per diem or whatever it was.

But you're right, it's a miserable way to live. Absolutely miserable. I feel so deprived, and I'm definitely suffering at the hand of my decisions.

Just delayed gratification for a new bike.

I would start looking for a new firm. Stuff like that tells you they will let clients walk all over them to get business.

Twenty or so years ago, I shared a room with a co-worker who I knew but did not really work with. He got to the hotel a few hours before I did. When I opened the door to the room, this guy was pacing up and down talking into a little hand held tape recorder wearing a white undershirt tucked into his tightie whities. I had that image of him in my head every time I saw him after that until he left the company.

Twenty or so years ago, I shared a room with a co-worker who I knew but did not really work with. He got to the hotel a few hours before I did. When I opened the door to the room, this guy was pacing up and down talking into a little hand held tape recorder wearing a white undershirt tucked into his tightie whities. I had that image of him in my head every time I saw him after that until he left the company.

yeah, this is exactly the kind of situation I'd want to avoid. People are weird, I don't want to know what they do in their down time if I'm expected to view/treat them professionally.

Total bullshit; would never have asked anyone to share a room with a stranger. Bush League.

A friend of mine has been assigned to an audit team, and for cost austerity reasons the plan is to "buddy up" and assign you a roommate; most likely some dude who you don't know. Like most of us who haven't shared a room with somebody since college (and even then it was somebody you knew well and could pretty much do/say as you please), he's dreading it. Plus, he's a veteran so sharing living quarters again is not high on his agenda. Having been in the same situation some years ago with a complete stranger who kept me awake with his constant farting, my suggestion to him was to see if the other guy thinks it sucks as bad as he does, then go half-sies on another room.
Anybody else had to deal with this, and if so big deal/no deal?

The manager/partner need to either find savings elsewhere in the budget (hey partner, how about stop charging a full day to the contract when all you did was come out and shoot the shit for a couple hours), or just eat the cost then sack up at the end of the year and take the lower realization on the contract instead of wussing out and hoping this preserves their budgeted realization without them having to actually be more efficient with their work.

Back