• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SHELTON MITCHELL DECOMMITS?

Who the fuck said anything about losing faith in Manning? My point was: You can't look at this in a vacuum, for the same reason that you always spout in Dino/Bz arguments. Even if losing a top 75 player was fine and not something we should worry about (it is not fine, and we should worry about it), it matters that we're replacing him with one of two guys who have never even sort of sniffed the top 75.

It's okay to introduce nuance into opinions. I'm not saying we need to fire Manning yesterday; I'm just saying that losing Mitchell is bad, and we should be concerned. We want open scholarships, and most seem to agree with that, but Moto and Mitchell (two of maybe four players on our roster who were decently rated out of high school) weren't the places to start. I can forgive him for Moto, because by most accounts Moto was being a douche, but Mitchell hurts. To pretend otherwise doesn't mean you're keeping a level head or whatever the fuck-- it just means you're not paying attention. The fact that, in your posts on this thread, you've admitted ignorance supports that.

So I must not be paying attention because I think less highly than you do of a top 75, at best, 3rd point guard? That's not nuance, that's you stating an opinion as if it were a fact. You failing to realize that 247 has two ranking systems, and that only the index has Shelton in the top 100, is an example of your own ignorance, not mine. I guess you need to worry enough for the both of us.

Weren't there reports that Mitchell was hobbling badly the last few games of this season?

Yes. He was getting beat out by a kid that was a poor man's Cat Barber. I think he could be good, but it's not as if CP3 decommitted. We were going to take our thumps next year regardless.

So I must not be paying attention because I think less highly than you do of a top 75, at best, 3rd point guard? That's not nuance, that's you stating an opinion as if it were a fact. You failing to realize that 247 has two ranking systems, and that only the index has Shelton in the top 100, is an example of your own ignorance, not mine. I guess you need to worry enough for the both of us.

3rd PG? Are you talking about on our team? That's ridiculous if so.

It absolutely would have been nice to hold on to them but I just don't know what you expect a guy to do if a kid feels otherwise?

I don't think the concern was that Manning didn't try hard enough.

Can someone remind me again as to why we've decided that our slashing PG, shooting 8% from 3, should move to the 2 spot?

Can someone remind me again as to why we've decided that our slashing PG, shooting 8% from 3, should move to the 2 spot?

Truth. Mitchell may be a better PG, but CMM was going to give us little to nothing at SG. I don't think this really hurts in terms of immediate success (or in our case, lack of). It is concerning that DM couldn't hang on to our only top rated recruit, but this specifically won't change much. Let's just hope that he recruits some great classes the next two years (something we have no evidence he can do).

Truth. Mitchell may be a better PG, but CMM was going to give us little to nothing at SG. I don't think this really hurts in terms of immediate success (or in our case, lack of). It is concerning that DM couldn't hang on to our only top rated recruit, but this specifically won't change much. Let's just hope that he recruits some great classes the next two years (something we have no evidence he can do).

I agree with this. I also just think it is just more shit on a shit paved road. I think it really hurts the momentum and tone of the team. When Clawson came in he came in with a bang and locked up a lot of really good players and was able to keep the rest of the class (that we wanted) together. Most of us have really low expectations for the football team next year but shit we have ton of momentum and confidence for the future. Losing our only top 100 committ and Moto just further kills momentum and really hurts the "brand". Yes, I know that far worse for image has taken place over the last 4 years.

Do you know him in some capacity?

Lets just say I mentioned his relationship with Manning on the other thread hours before any release from Wake news broke and it was not by coincidence. I look for him to play in the AAC or Pac 12 next year.

i'm a fan of cmm's point guard skills and don't know why some people think he needs to play offball. BUT, he could easily have success doing so.

not sure where this idea* that a player absolutely must be a great 3-point shooter to play the wing (the distinction between a '2' and 3' is almost entirely unnecessary, esp. in college ball for purposes like these).

being a good three point shooter is a good thing at any position. you'll find more wings who are good shooters because they need to be good shooters to make up for the skills other positions have (big guys obviously provide size, and point guards are crucial as far as controlling the game). but guys who might technically be the 2 can still often be lead guard, which i think actually is a meaningful label.

*i'm actually pretty sure some of is because the word shooting is in shooting guard, which i find to be a dumb reason.

basically, cmm's shitty outside shot hurts regardless of what position he's playing.

Last edited:
Killing momentum implies having momentum.

Also have to consider that manning has nothing to work with this year as far as Shelton goes. He sat the entire year with the knee and when he finally got in he was pulled after short minutes and left limping. Codi spent last year looking like a solid scoring point guard who has no business at the 2.

I really doubt Mitchell is ready to be a starting ACC point guard for a decent team. But he could be a great 4 year guy and elite at some point so it sucks to lose him.

But if manning is really looking to build a team his way, I get not promising a starting spot to Shelton or looking at other ways to make us actually good in 2 years.

The sooner anything the previous POS
coach has touched is removed from WFBB the better! I don't trust any decision he made, and hope Manning torches anything that resembles the last four years!

I don't know if this is worse or better, but I honestly believe that DM was really enamored with Wilbekin and lukewarm on Shelton. We don't have much to judge his talent eval skills or roster building skills but as I posted on the recruiting thread from a fit standpoint Wilbekin has an edge because of shooting, of which the team has none.

Back