• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shirts burned

stevewhite14

Reaction score
Espn report says 9 shirts burned. Obviously a couple of kids on the o line and that Armstrong kid looks pretty impressive. Who else?

From official WF game notes:

Charles Argenzio, John Armstrong, Deonte Davis, Josh T. Harris, Cory Helms, Jalen Latter, Marquel Lee, James Looney, Brad Watson all saw action.

I have never even heard of some of those guys before now.

Aka grobe retirement watch

Yep. The biggest story in Wake sports that nobody is talking about. Four years left on his contract. No point waiting five years for these guys.

Say what you want about Ron Wellman, but it is clear that he gives less than two shits about actual sporting performance at Wake Forest.

Say what you want about Ron Wellman, but it is clear that he gives less than two shits about actual sporting performance at Wake Forest.

Obvious. But, one would hope that he or his criminal accountant would at least pay the damn light bill.

We pulled 3 cb's shirts and a rb's when we played 6 of them...Grobe is no longer planning for the future.

S
Yep. The biggest story in Wake sports that nobody is talking about. Four years left on his contract. No point waiting five years for these guys.

Do u see that as selfish? Or..

I guess you just hope he's making the right call for the players and their futures... It's a good point that I hadn't thought about, but it definitely makes sense.

Has anybody posted the numbers of true freshmen - by year - who have played since Grobe got here? I was under the impression that it was very few until recently...

S

Do u see that as selfish? Or..

Not really. He needs to win both for himself and for the program. It just helps explain why now as opposed to before. It's not like we recruited Ole Miss' class. We actually have an experienced team. People have been saying for years that one way to accomplish Grobe's goals is to give some promising players playing time as true frosh and if they don't quite pan out, redshirt them as true sophomores. Maybe Grobe is doing that.

Grobe's contract runs out after the 2016 season. He will be 65. Plenty of good coaching years left.

Does he want to retire? If not, he needs to earn a contract extension before opposing coaches can wonder out loud to recruits if Grobe is headed out the door. Letting him coach out the contract without an extension would be recruiting suicide. A decision on an extension has to come this offseason or next at the very latest. Grobe can't afford to just let talent stand on the sidelines when it could say his job.

If he does plan to retire in 4 years and we let him, there's got to be a coach waiting in the wings. Hard to imagine Wellman saying "OK recruits, we're going to start over after the 2016 season. No clue who your coach will be then, but I'm working on it". One good year and Wellman could announce and extension or a coach-in-waiting. One good year. That's why Grobe is pulling out all the stops.

Last edited:
I guess you just hope he's making the right call for the players and their futures... It's a good point that I hadn't thought about, but it definitely makes sense.

Has anybody posted the numbers of true freshmen - by year - who have played since Grobe got here? I was under the impression that it was very few until recently...

According to the official site, 23 true freshmen have played during Grobe's prior 12 years.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082713aae.html

Helms, Harris, and Armstrong are definitely deserving we will see about the rest.

I think all but looney, smith, helms, and Armstrong are walk-ons right?

Watson is a scholarship player out of texas. I think Davis is. Lee is definitely another ship player lb out of Maryland. Latter is also a ship player.

That's kind of weird then because a lot of those guys only saw action on special teams at least until the 4th quarter

He came out in the offseason and said he wasn't going to redshirt anymore. Seeing 9 play wasn't very surprising.

Back