• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shirts burned

He came out in the offseason and said he wasn't going to redshirt anymore. Seeing 9 play wasn't very surprising.

This. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this. Both Grobe and Lobo said that they were gonna play a lot of true Freshmen this season.

Here's a couple of quotes from Lobo:

“We’re telling everybody we want to win this year, we’ll play anybody it takes on either side of the ball to do that. The redshirting policy is kind of on hold right now. We just want to win. We want to win, we want to win right now, so we’re going to play anybody if it will help our depth.”

To all football recruits: if you want to play early then you better consider Wake Forest! You heard me right...

Grobe on burning the shirts: (sounds like he's really involved)

"I didn't pay attention to who the coaches were putting in," Wake Forest's coach said in reference to the mass disappearance of redshirt years in Thursday's season-opening victory over Presbyterian College. "I just told them not to put anybody on the field if that was going to end up wasting a year of eligibility."

:tard:

Yep. The biggest story in Wake sports that nobody is talking about. Four years left on his contract. No point waiting five years for these guys.

... and impending retirement's effect on recruiting

Getting Lobo ready for that head job...coach-in-waiting.

Grobe sounds more and more like Bobby Bowden in his later years every day.

... and impending retirement's effect on recruiting

Yep. From above:

Not really. He needs to win both for himself and for the program. It just helps explain why now as opposed to before. It's not like we recruited Ole Miss' class. We actually have an experienced team. People have been saying for years that one way to accomplish Grobe's goals is to give some promising players playing time as true frosh and if they don't quite pan out, redshirt them as true sophomores. Maybe Grobe is doing that.

Grobe's contract runs out after the 2016 season. He will be 65. Plenty of good coaching years left.

Does he want to retire? If not, he needs to earn a contract extension before opposing coaches can wonder out loud to recruits if Grobe is headed out the door. Letting him coach out the contract without an extension would be recruiting suicide. A decision on an extension has to come this offseason or next at the very latest. Grobe can't afford to just let talent stand on the sidelines when it could say his job.

If he does plan to retire in 4 years and we let him, there's got to be a coach waiting in the wings. Hard to imagine Wellman saying "OK recruits, we're going to start over after the 2016 season. No clue who your coach will be then, but I'm working on it". One good year and Wellman could announce and extension or a coach-in-waiting. One good year. That's why Grobe is pulling out all the stops.

Looney's younger brother recovered a fumble. I think he'll be a solid lineman in the future.

"I didn't pay attention to who the coaches were putting in," Wake Forest's coach said in reference to the mass disappearance of redshirt years in Thursday's season-opening victory over Presbyterian College. "I just told them not to put anybody on the field if that was going to end up wasting a year of eligibility."

this really isn't unusual. position coaches put in players in every program. head coaches can't monitor that, hell coordinators can't even monitor substitutions. i'm sure there was a discussion before the season and the game about who would play and who wouldn't. they probably go over the depth chart every day.

That's one way to look at it. The other way is that he didn't pay attention to which players his coaches put on the field.

He said on the radio before the game that between 8-10 true freshman would play. 9 played, so I think he knew what was going on.

This. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this. Both Grobe and Lobo said that they were gonna play a lot of true Freshmen this season.

Here's a couple of quotes from Lobo:

“We’re telling everybody we want to win this year, we’ll play anybody it takes on either side of the ball to do that. The redshirting policy is kind of on hold right now. We just want to win. We want to win, we want to win right now, so we’re going to play anybody if it will help our depth.”

To all football recruits: if you want to play early then you better consider Wake Forest! You heard me right...

It's surprising only because seemingly every year we hear about some new initiative and it doesn't come into full implementation (like a new offense), and every year Grobe talks about playing time in the press for motivational reasons. So it's surprising because it actually happened.

Would lobo as head coach be a bigger slap in the face than the Buzz debacle? I would be speechless.

I think some of it is the result of being so depleted at the end of the season last year. As I understand it we barely had enough healthy bodies to have a two deep on both sides of the ball the last two games. I assume Grobe doesn't want to get caught like that again.

Back