• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shit got crazy last night in the TX State House

I would think that the country could be united around an abortion ban after 20 weeks (save the case of the mother's life being in danger in which case you are not choosing death but being forced to decide who dies). What possible justification could a mother have for aborting a baby at 22 weeks? Seriously? Rape and incest clauses are way past time at that point. The mother has had 3 months from the point she knew she was pregnant to decide to abort the child. So what possible justification other than simple convenience is there to abort a child at 20+ weeks?

I would think that the country could be united around an abortion ban after 20 weeks (save the case of the mother's life being in danger in which case you are not choosing death but being forced to decide who dies). What possible justification could a mother have for aborting a baby at 22 weeks? Seriously? Rape and incest clauses are way past time at that point. The mother has had 3 months from the point she knew she was pregnant to decide to abort the child. So what possible justification other than simple convenience is there to abort a child at 20+ weeks?

just to set the record straight, I believe the bill banned ALL abortions for any reason after 20 weeks, required abortions to take place in surgical centers (which would have shut down 37 of the 42 clinics in Texas) and required doctors to have admitting privileges at a local hospital (which might have shut down the others). So it was a quite a bit more restrictive than your post implies.

I assume you're not a woman. So you have no idea what justification there is, and neither do I. Just because we can't think of reasons doesn't mean there aren't any.

just to set the record straight, I believe the bill banned ALL abortions for any reason after 20 weeks, required abortions to take place in surgical centers (which would have shut down 37 of the 42 clinics in Texas) and required doctors to have admitting privileges at a local hospital (which might have shut down the others). So it was a quite a bit more restrictive than your post implies.

This

Good for Wendy Davis

I didn't read the entire bill. Just saw the article that stated it would prevent abortions after 20 weeks.

So you are saying the bill stated there were zero exceptions whatsoever even the life of the mother? Honest question. Hopefully taken in the proper tone. I am not challenging that assertion although I will read the bill if I get a chance.

Could care less about the viability of abortion clinics as opposed to the abortions being performed in hospitals. If all abortions were performed in surgical centers we would be much less likely to have occurrences like what happened in Philadelphia.

I never get the argument that bc I am not a woman I can't have an opinion on abortion. It is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as this country allowing abortions after 20 weeks when we have clear technology to save the child if he or she is born immediately at 20 weeks.

I didn't read the entire bill. Just saw the article that stated it would prevent abortions after 20 weeks.

So you are saying the bill stated there were zero exceptions whatsoever even the life of the mother? Honest question. Hopefully taken in the proper tone. I am not challenging that assertion although I will read the bill if I get a chance.

Could care less about the viability of abortion clinics as opposed to the abortions being performed in hospitals. If all abortions were performed in surgical centers we would be much less likely to have occurrences like what happened in Philadelphia.

I never get the argument that bc I am not a woman I can't have an opinion on abortion. It is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as this country allowing abortions after 20 weeks when we have clear technology to save the child if he or she is born immediately at 20 weeks.

No one said you or anyone else can't have an opinion. You just shouldn't be allowed to legislate it, and neither should anyone else.

That’s some impressive filibuster-ing.

i'd fill her buster

wendy-davis-TX-sebate-e1372184595671.jpg

No one said you or anyone else can't have an opinion. You just shouldn't be allowed to legislate it, and neither should anyone else.

Yeah that is awful logic and even if it was proper logic, it doesn't even apply as the victims in this case are around 50% male.

It's very interesting how the Republicans used a back brace and claims that she went off topic to eventually stop her filibuster and then tried to claim the vote was made before midnight when it clearly was not.

Shady. Looks like they also tried to change the date on the website. And then tried to blame the crowd instead of their inability to get the vote done in time.

Yeah that is awful logic and even if it was proper logic, it doesn't even apply as the victims in this case are around 50% male.

Funny, I consider your logic about forcing women to give birth awful as well. C'est la vie.

Do you think it should legal for a woman to have an abortion at 8 months?

Sounds like the sponsor of the bill has a real clear understanding of the topic. Apparently she said something about rape kits being useful in that they clean "clean out" a woman and prevent unwanted pregnancies, therefore negating the whole "abortion in cases of rape" thing. Do they make a vagina flowbee?

Ah, Texas.

Many women have irregular cycles. A periid of longer than 28 days without a period may usually be there normal. To say that women have had three months from conception to make the decision to abort is exceedingly harsh when many women may not know they are pregnant for some, or all, of that time period.

This is not a signature

Many women have irregular cycles. A periid of longer than 28 days without a period may usually be there normal. To say that women have had three months from conception to make the decision to abort is exceedingly harsh when many women may not know they are pregnant for some, or all, of that time period.

This is not a signature

It was 3 months after the first month. Not 3 from conception

Back