• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shit got crazy last night in the TX State House

I was watching the live feed of this until about 1am last night. It was complete chaos. I was kind of surprised the state troopers didn't clear out the senate chambers since the last 20 minutes of time were spent trying to quiet the crowd.

I was watching the live feed of this until about 1am last night. It was complete chaos. I was kind of surprised the state troopers didn't clear out the senate chambers since the last 20 minutes of time were spent trying to quiet the crowd.

Same. I felt like I was watching a game 7. Thrilling drama.

So Rick Perry said the legislature will reconvene on July 1st in special session to take up the abortion bill.

The GOP can't get out of their own damn way. How anybody could see what unfolded Tuesday night and think it would be a good idea to ram that bill through a week later is beyond me. It's going to pass, but it should be obvious that they need to bury it and let this cool off.....it will be interesting to see what this does to the GOP in Texas...

The governor who has presided over the most executions in Texas state history crowing about the sanctity of life? Gotta love that grand old party.

Thought I read that the special session has to last 30 days. Is he really going to call a 30 day session to do ONE bill?

Thought I read that the special session has to last 30 days. Is he really going to call a 30 day session to do ONE bill?

And a highway bill....but really, yes, it's all for the abortion bill...

I really don't think this is going to end well.....I ventured over to the Texas board to see what they thought of the events. I honestly expected about 50/50, but they were almost entirely against the bill and the actions of the GOP....

Here is a post from one of the Texas message board posters the next day....

"For me, it's about people waking up, giving a $#@!, and not voting for some GODDAMNED Tea Party fundie just because he has an "R" next to his name. I am sick and $#@!ing tired of people who hold virtually identical personal and political views to my own re-electing GODDAMNED Rick Perry and his Stepford ilk because momma and daddy and both my granddaddies taught me that democrats are dirty, liberal hippies.

To those of you who are moderate, educated and whose social views reflect that it's 2013, GO $#@! YOURSELVES for voting these cheating, fundamentalist, bullying rulers into office. YOU are the reason Rick Perry has been allowed to run roughshod over our great state. YOU are the reason there are dumb bitches in government who think forensic nurses are abortionists. YOU are the reason we are a national joke whose laws are turning more and more draconian with every straight ticket ballot you enter.

What happened last night was a travesty. Not because of what did or did not pass, but because of what I, along with many of you, watched with my own eyes--YOUR party blatantly disregarding protocol and procedure, committing FRAUD before the eyes of 150,000 people, and not giving one single, solitary $#@! this morning, and you know why?

Because they run this bitch. They own this bitch. THEY are Texas, and it's no one's fault but your own."

Dang, we all knew this would be a temporary reprieve, but Perry didn’t have to ruin everyone’s 4th of July holiday.

Any word on whether there will be an investigation into the shady happenings of the late hours?

They'll get right back to downsizing government just after they take care of the sodomizers and babykillers.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/texas-abortion-opponents-to-cheer-selves-up-with-e,32973/

AUSTIN, TX—Following state senator Wendy Davis’ successful filibuster of sweeping abortion restrictions last night, disappointed Texans told reporters they are looking forward to tonight’s scheduled execution of convicted murderer Kimberly McCarthy to cheer them back up. “I was completely devastated after learning that abortion providers throughout the state would remain open, but thankfully, there’s nothing better to lift up our spirits than an old-fashioned execution,” said Fort Worth anti-abortion activist Caroline Hinton, who added that the impending lethal injection of McCarthy was “more than enough” to put a smile back on her face. “And as soon as I remembered that the state of Texas is preparing to take a woman’s life this evening by strapping her onto a gurney and shooting a cocktail of deadly chemicals into her arteries, I just perked right up and put those failed abortion restrictions out of my mind. And it’s our 500th execution, too, so it’s going to be a real celebration! I guess this week won’t turn out all bad after all.” At press time, Hinton reported feeling “even better” after learning that Governor Rick Perry is expected to call a special session to reintroduce the anti-abortion legislation and that political analysts say it will likely pass

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/wendy-davis-voting-rights-act_n_3500171.html

"Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D), who captivated the country with her attempted 13-hour filibuster of a sweeping anti-abortion bill, likely would have lost her seat in 2012 to redistricting if not for the Voting Rights Act that was gutted Tuesday by the U.S. Supreme Court.

MSNBC's Zachary Roth reported earlier this month that Republican leaders in Texas tried to slice up Davis' Fort Worth district in 2011 and move thousands of black and Hispanic voters into neighboring districts. But Davis challenged the move in federal court under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act -- a part of the law rendered inoperable by the Supreme Court decision that struck down the heart of the law."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/wendy-davis-voting-rights-act_n_3500171.html

"Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D), who captivated the country with her attempted 13-hour filibuster of a sweeping anti-abortion bill, likely would have lost her seat in 2012 to redistricting if not for the Voting Rights Act that was gutted Tuesday by the U.S. Supreme Court.

MSNBC's Zachary Roth reported earlier this month that Republican leaders in Texas tried to slice up Davis' Fort Worth district in 2011 and move thousands of black and Hispanic voters into neighboring districts. But Davis challenged the move in federal court under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act -- a part of the law rendered inoperable by the Supreme Court decision that struck down the heart of the law."

Of course this case could have easily been brought under other provisions of the VRA but the Huffington Post would never admit that.

Back