• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

Don't often hear criticisms of our legal immigration policies. Usually people say they're fine with Mexicans and such coming in as long as they do so legally.

I don't understand why BSF lumps all of his immigration grievances together, because it undermines his points. The US is in no way being overrun with immigrants from the Middle East, so why bring up immigrant welfare statistics here? Why not try and stay on point, instead of using this discussion as a dumping ground for all your populist bitchings

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I would also guess that, on a whole, immigrants from the ME are in a higher socioeconomic bracket than those from Latin America.

I don't understand why BSF lumps all of his immigration grievances together, because it undermines his points. The US is in no way being overrun with immigrants from the Middle East, so why bring up immigrant welfare statistics here? Why not try and stay on point, instead of using this discussion as a dumping ground for all your populist bitchings

Why don't you try to comprehend what I wrote and what I was responding to? The conversation had morphed into a general discussion about immigration- look at what Barca was responding to when he posted the "Give me your tired..." sampler. So my post was a response to that and a comment leebs made about how we shouldn't take into account a person's wealth or education when letting them immigrate here. Understand?

so I'm just curious how this Muslim ban works in practice. here's a list of the various ways people can legally enter the US (not including tourist visas, so add that to the list). http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/how-united-states-immigration-system-works-fact-sheet Which of these methods are to be foreclosed from Muslims/people originating from a list of Muslim countries (which I think is actually how it would be done)? And what countries are on the list of Muslim states that are to be barred?

Scooter, very simply, would you be OK with a ban Christians coming to America?

If not and you believe this country was created on the basis of religious freedom, you shouldn't be for a ban on another religion.

Why don't you try to comprehend what I wrote and what I was responding to? The conversation had morphed into a general discussion about immigration- look at what Barca was responding to when he posted the "Give me your tired..." sampler. So my post was a response to that and a comment leebs made about how we shouldn't take into account a person's wealth or education when letting them immigrate here. Understand?

It never morphed, you just went off on a tangent -

...I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything ...

Scooter84 asked a few general questions about immigration in response to the discussion about the legality of banning Muslim immigrants. Barca then sarcastically (?) posted a cross-stitch of the statue of liberty poem. In response to the statue of liberty poem you went on a tangent about how America can't realistically follow the ideals from that poem because the population of Africa is exploding and South American immigrants use more welfare.

Maybe President Trump can re-gift the statue of liberty to another country, since we're not using it anymore.

It never morphed, you just went off on a tangent -

Scooter84 asked a few general questions about immigration in response to the discussion about the legality of banning Muslim immigrants. Barca then sarcastically (?) posted a cross-stitch of the statue of liberty poem. In response to the statue of liberty poem you went on a tangent about how America can't realistically follow the ideals from that poem because the population of Africa is exploding and South American immigrants use more welfare.

Assuming I did go off on a tangent, so what? How many posts on this thread have gone off on a tangent? Why did this one in particular bother you? And there have been posts throughout this thread talking about immigration in general. And did you not see the quote from leebs that I included?

Scooter, very simply, would you be OK with a ban Christians coming to America?

If not and you believe this country was created on the basis of religious freedom, you shouldn't be for a ban on another religion.

What are you talking about? I never advocated or mentioned banning anyone. I asked some simple questions about how it works today - because I don't know and because people were talking about changing or limiting immigration. For the record I would never advocate a blanket ban of immigration by any religion or other demographic - except for the demographic of known or credibly suspected terrorists.

A discussion about the realities and legality of banning Muslim immigrants is interesting, and it's relevant to the event that happened. I'd like to see a reasonable explanation of how that would work, especially in context of America's role as a world champion of religious tolerance

A discussion about the realities and legality of banning Muslim immigrants is interesting, and it's relevant to the event that happened. I'd like to see a reasonable explanation of how that would work, especially in context of America's role as a world champion of religious tolerance

Great, just ignore my posts and focus on that. Not difficult. Though I suspect the real reason you were bothered is that you didn't like the facts I posted, about some of the costs involved with immigration.

What are you talking about? I never advocated or mentioned banning anyone. I asked some simple questions about how it works today - because I don't know and because people were talking about changing or limiting immigration. For the record I would never advocate a blanket ban of immigration by any religion or other demographic - except for the demographic of known or credibly suspected terrorists.

A demographic ban or a specific person ban?

Great, just ignore my posts and focus on that. Not difficult. Though I suspect the real reason you were bothered is that you didn't like the facts I posted, about some of the costs involved with immigration.
If it makes you feel better, then yes, I am so upset because you are right. yada yada yada let's move on.

so I'm just curious how this Muslim ban works in practice. here's a list of the various ways people can legally enter the US (not including tourist visas, so add that to the list). http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/how-united-states-immigration-system-works-fact-sheet Which of these methods are to be foreclosed from Muslims/people originating from a list of Muslim countries (which I think is actually how it would be done)? And what countries are on the list of Muslim states that are to be barred?

You mean if a terrorist was coming into the US from Pakistan, you wouldn't expect him to be honorable and say, "Yes sir, I am a proud Muslim."

Rather than saying, "As a Pakistani Christian, can you show me where the nearest church is?"

This appears to be some form of PC inflicted malady that is manifested by the inability to consider views different from our own as anything but some form of irrationality or prejudice.

Honest question, coming from a point of genuine curiosity: Gun advocates, particularly those that won't give an inch relative to weapons that can kill a LOT of people in seconds, scare the living bejeezus out of me...and can not, in my mind, describe a rational argument as to why private citizens should have them. Do I have a PC inflicted malady because, even though I have tried, I can't consider their viewpoint?

Back