• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

• Doofus Numbers/Only the Dwarf Council May Decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheTwinAndreBen

3 stacks
Reaction score
For the purposes of the poll, we are only talking about felonies and we are assuming that the felons were guilty and rightfully convicted.

Lots of back and forth rhetoric on this lately. Dems obviously want this although it is clearly self serving for them.

I am of the opinion that voting is not a right, but a privilege, one that can be taken away if you break the social contract. It does not follow to me that society has determined you should be stripped of all your basic rights, including the right move around freely, but somehow you should still be able to vote.

On the other hand, I have also seen the redneck legislators in FL impose all sort of hurdles and fees and completely subjective, arbitrary standards on folks trying to reinstate their rights.

I think I come down that in the cases of the worst, violent felonies, its a permanent bar, but for lesser ones either automatically reinstate, or have a federally mandated fair, objective, expedited process to reinstate that doesn't overly burden the applicant.

Last edited:
While incarcerated or after serving their sentence?

I feel as if they should not be able to vote while serving their sentence, but I can't give a good reason as to why.

I feel as if they should not be able to vote while serving their sentence, but I can't give a good reason as to why.

I think the argument against allowing them to vote (whether incarcerated or not) would be that they have proven to be malicious to their communities and may vote for laws that also hurt the community.

With that said, I voted for after they serve their sentence.

I think the argument against allowing them to vote (whether incarcerated or not) would be that they have proven to be malicious to their communities and may vote for laws that also hurt the community.

With that said, I voted for after they serve their sentence.

You can't assume they'll be Republicans.

Yeah, I mean I guess that it doesn't really matter if it is a right or a privilege, because both can be stripped if you break the law.

There are choices for both.

Sorry, I’m on Tapatalk and can’t see the poll.

I don’t think they should be able to vote while incarcerated but prison populations should not be included in census statistics for purposes of determining election boundaries.

I voted no but automatic reinstatement upon release, although maybe condition that on as long as you haven't violated parole conditions. The reason I think you have to do automatic reinstatement is because, if there is an application process, you could end up with disparate treatment based on race in many states.

We were discussing this issue with our usual beer crowd (some consisting of law enforcement and defense attorneys) several months back. I think our consensus was it's really much ado about something that is not going to have a significant effect as a practical matter. It'll have more of a pro Dem effect the higher a state's black prison population. But you figure a significant chunk of this population weren't regular voters before they were incarcerated. And you figure the vast majority of prisoners are men, not women. White men usually vote Pub, even more so in the Trump era, and black men usually vote Dem. In VA, we have a higher black population than average, and our prison population is 58% black, 37% white and 5% latino, so you'd expect a slight pro Dem effect here. But in terms of actual vote totals in actual elections, we didn't think it would have a significant effect (like well less than 1% point statewide).

Why does it matter what the crime is? If there’s an issue with the sentence length address it in justice reform

do we know this for certain? only people who would vote for democrats commit felonies?

Yeah this is a fallacy that the GOP has been effective at making into the popular consensus despite no evidence whatsoever. There are plenty of convicted felons on both sides of the ideological scale and I would imagine that voting numbers on former felons that got voting rights back will bear that out in Florida (assuming the FL GOP allows them to get their rights back and doesn’t ignore a democratically approved ballot measure).

Why does it matter what the crime is? If there’s an issue with the sentence length address it in justice reform

I have no issue with non-violent felons voting while in prison. I don't want convicted murderers/rapists, etc. voting in prison -- murderers or other violent felons who via their crimes have taken the ability to vote from someone else. You take it from someone, you lose it.

Back