• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

• Doofus Numbers/Only the Dwarf Council May Decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah this is a fallacy that the GOP has been effective at making into the popular consensus despite no evidence whatsoever. There are plenty of convicted felons on both sides of the ideological scale and I would imagine that voting numbers on former felons that got voting rights back will bear that out in Florida (assuming the FL GOP allows them to get their rights back and doesn’t ignore a democratically approved ballot measure).

I guess, but then if the argument is that the criminal justice system disproportionately disenfranchises people Republicans don't want to vote then it basically makes the point.

I am pleasantly surprised by these poll results. Well done, OGB (except Brangus).

Felons are already enfranchised insofar as they are used as population justifications to gerrymander districts. Just because Republicans fear that they will overwhelmingly vote for Democrats doesn't mean that they don't deserve the right to participate in the political process that they indelibly shape.

do we know this for certain? only people who would vote for democrats commit felonies?

It's just sad that anyone would factor in who the felons would vote for when determining the rights of fellow Americans. I'm not crazy about the idea of letting a bunch of convicted white nationalists vote and be incentivized to rally for Trump, but if that's the point of the argument where you're at then you're asking the wrong question.

And then you need to ask yourself why you think the majority of felons would vote democrat. See where that wormhole gets you.

Last edited:
Before yesterday I would've said no but I read how prison inmates are included in population count.

I want to highlight this because I think this week is the first time a lot of people have given this any thought. Almost immediately, the Overton window on this issue is shifting left toward voting rights for felons in some way or form. And now there will be more thoughtful discussion on this that will force people to explain why they believe what they believe.

hard for me to separate this question from the fact that the US incarcerates more of its citizens than any other nation in the world.

“Radically,” also known as “humanely”

Shows you how radically leftist the average board poster is, compared to a standard subset of society.

Not to say FL is standard but 64% of FL voters voted to restore voting rights to felons in November. Polling showed it had majority support from both parties.

That's because everybody in Florida is related to a felon.

Shows you how radically leftist the average board poster is, compared to a standard subset of society.

As usual you don't have a clue what you are talking about. In a state with a Republican gov., Senators and Supreme Court, Florida overwhelmingly pass Amendment 4 restoring the right to vote for felons after they serve their sentence.

It's you who is radically out of step with society and, of course, facts.

The vast majority of people on the board voted like you did. I don't see a huge difference in options 3 and 4. Are you radically leftist?

These people don't share my views, so they must be the evil fringe of the other party who wants to destroy everything I hold dear.

As usual you don't have a clue what you are talking about. In a state with a Republican gov., Senators and Supreme Court, Florida overwhelmingly pass Amendment 4 restoring the right to vote for felons after they serve their sentence.

It's you who is radically out of step with society and, of course, facts.

You want me to post your EC predictions before the last election?

57726501_2418942391473123_1554960190455939072_n.jpg

Back