• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

• Doofus Numbers/Only the Dwarf Council May Decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I usually just call ignorant positions ignorant.

I usually just call ignorant positions ignorant.

Wrong, you call any position that isn't yours ignorant. You call anyone who doesn't goosestep 100% to your position ignorant and more. I'm not the only one who says this.

You talk about freedom but is anathema to you. Just like Trump and other dictators, you demand 100% fealty.

Yes, I want to restore voting rights to all incarcerated people and abolish prisons, so people aren't locked in cages, and freedom is anathema to me. You want to continue to prevent people in prison from voting, and keep them in a system that you ADMIT is horribly violent and corrupt, but you are all about some freedom?

I don't live in a dream world where no one should be in prison like you do.

Like most people, I believe losing freedom and rights are a legitimate deterrence top criminal activity. Unlike you, I don't think people who rob banks or steal identities or rape should be given a time out in their own home.

While you are paying for your crime, there are consequences.

Those with criminal records, darker skin, different religion, different political party affiliation are viewed as flawed, less-than humans and are treated as such by Republicans.

In any other time of my life, the Supreme Court would consider the FL an unconstitutional poll tax. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Such a bitch.

It’s a matter of historical fact that democrats are just as responsible as republicans for the mass incarceration and resulting disenfranchisement of people of color. Have a good one Shoo.

The democratic governor of KS is proposing to send 600 people to private prisons in AZ. Is that not viewing them as less than human?

If the argument is that felons should have their rights restored because they have repaid their debt to society then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask them to repay their debt to society.

That being said, there should be reasonable alternatives and payment plans available that allow them to work towards that restitution while still being able to vote.

I think the monetary part of the debt is excessive. They’ve given their lives. They work for well below minimum wage. They pay well above market rate for everyday items. Why should they have to pay more fees on top of that once they’ve done their time? All that does is make it harder for them to live once they’re out.

I think the monetary part of the debt is excessive. They’ve given their lives. They work for well below minimum wage. They pay well above market rate for everyday items. Why should they have to pay more fees on top of that once they’ve done their time? All that does is make it harder for them to live once they’re out.

+1

If the argument is that felons should have their rights restored because they have repaid their debt to society then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask them to repay their debt to society.

That being said, there should be reasonable alternatives and payment plans available that allow them to work towards that restitution while still being able to vote.

Under your premise, it would be legitimate to charge felons room, board, medical and management fees for their time in prison.

Back