• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Should Convicted Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

• Doofus Numbers/Only the Dwarf Council May Decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't understand why they should allowed to vote while serving their sentences. After they get out is a different story.

So that's the conclusion you reached after reading MA's book?

I really liked the points she made in the middle part of the book but couldn't find myself agreeing with some of her conclusions.

Hillary for Prison suddenly makes sense.

No your post said you didn't understand how anyone could be allowed to vote while serving a sentence, which is a bad position to take. Then you responded to my (appropriately) condescending question by making a gun rights/gun-related/violent crime analogy and losing the right to own a gun, so I replied with the next logical step which would be that your position would seem to indicate that loss of voting rights should be dependent on committing a voting related crime.

Do you want me to quote your post?

I treated you with respect, but you can't do the same. That's unfortunate and 100% on you.

While in prison people should not have right the right to vote, but that right should be restored upon completion of their sentence.

No, I don't believe violent criminals should get their right to own guns back after prison.

Bro I’m not going to feel bad lol, don’t say dumb shit.

Biff, am I allowed to self-report douchey posts? Because this one of mine probably counts.

I said nothing that was dumb on this. You were condescending and I wasn't.

Do those saying felons shouldnt be able to vote differentiate between "violent" and "non violent" felons? Mail fraud and manslaughter are the same as terrorism and rape?

Do those saying felons shouldnt be able to vote differentiate between "violent" and "non violent" felons? Mail fraud and manslaughter are the same as terrorism and rape?

Are you asking me? I don't think they should vote while in prison but should after release.

Are you asking me? I don't think they should vote while in prison but should after release.

I wasn't asking you specifically but I'm asking about those in prison. What's the line and what's the difference?

They have lost many rights by being in prison. Voting is just one of them.

Given how political, violent and corrupt prisons are, and will continue to be for decades to come, how can anyone be sure that those millions of votes would be honestly cast? There would be massive pressure and even illegal offers to get felons to vote one way or another.

I'm sure there are many other negatives.

I believe restoring the rights upon release is the best option.

They have lost many rights by being in prison. Voting is just one of them.

Given how political, violent and corrupt prisons are, and will continue to be for decades to come, how can anyone be sure that those millions of votes would be honestly cast? There would be massive pressure and even illegal offers to get felons to vote one way or another.

I'm sure there are many other negatives.

I believe restoring the rights upon release is the best option.

So we disenfranchise millions by locking them up, through a biased legal system that criminalizes and targets POC, but because we incarcerate them in horribly violent and corrupt institutions, we can't possibly restore their voting rights?

Seems fine.

The 10th demand of the 2018 National Prison Strike:

"The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count."

That's not at all what I said, but it matters little to you. I specifically said we WOULD restore their voting rights. But as long as people don't goosestep, in Trumpian fashion to all your demands, you will not work with them.

You are no different than Trump and the fascists you allegedly oppose.

That's not at all what I said, but it matters little to you. I specifically said we WOULD restore their voting rights. But as long as people don't goosestep, in Trumpian fashion to all your demands, you will not work with them.

You are no different than Trump and the fascists you allegedly oppose.

Jesus, you are terrible. You said we couldn't restore their rights while in prison, partly because prisons are so violent and corrupt, without any understanding that the horrible conditions are RELATED to their disenfranchisement.

You didn't qualify your statement to just being in prison.

To say, "without any understanding that the horrible conditions are RELATED to their disenfranchisement" shows limitless arrogance and ignorance.

You created the qualification of talking about prisoners when you brought up how violent and corrupt prisons are. I responded to your terrible point. I didn't need to qualify my statement.

You are justifying not giving them the right to vote while in prison because of the horrible conditions in which we imprison them.

Reading Is Fundamental. That was ONE reason. I also said losing the right while in prison was a consequence of their crime. The reality is nothing anyone can say will ever make a dent in your ideology. you'd rather get nothing than not get everything you demand.

This has been your dictatorial position on issue after issue. When you add your confrontational, insulting style, you push people away. I am hardly the only person on this board who has said this, but it doesn't matter to you and never has.

I'm not making a demand. I'm sharing an opinion that all incarcerated people should have their voting rights restored.

speaking of ignorance.

There you go again. If anyone disagrees with you at all, they are wrong and ignorant.

You are absolutely no different than Trump or the fascists you allegedly abhor.

Back