• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Dan evaluate his own performance?

It's always funny when people post stuff like this about Dan. With the exception of going to practices and conducting interviews, his job is our hobby. Plenty of folks here write plenty of good stuff that if it were packaged as an opinion column would be of better quality than what Dan does.

It's just weird for people who come here day in and day out and post about Wake sports to give Dan a pass because of a "crappy beat."

Maybe, but it's not as weird as your obsession with crapping all over him. I give Dan a pass because I know him, I feel for anyone who has to have as much exposure to Buzz/Wellman as he does and, you know, it's just not all that fun to come on the internet and just randomly shit all over people.

Dan Collins is part of the dysfunctional, complacent operation that is Wake Forest sports.

For the last several years, he has played a crucial role in publicly invalidating criticisms of Wellman, Grobe, Lobo, and [Redacted]. Through his column, he went at fans for daring to think there were problems with Wake sports. At best, he's been an enabler. At worst, he's Deacon Dan, the Wake Forest Information Minister.

Last edited:
Without Dan you've got WXII- not one mention of the game last night on either their website's main splash page or the front page of their sports section. How sad is that?

Dan is the last of a dying breed. Let him finish his career with the Golden Age of Wake sports brought on by Clawson and hopefully Marshall.

I think Dan's a pretty good writer. I like his style although it's light on analytics. He's not going to be first person to destroy a coach (even when it's warranted) because he's not the type of person to publicly bash people he knows over something as trivial as college sports. I can relate to that.

I doubt having to interact with Bz is the most enjoyable part of his day.

I agree 100% with Dan Collins' recent comments that Bz is not the right man for Wake and I appreciate the coverage Dan has provided Wake throughout the years.

However, should Dan take a look at his own performance and commitment?

I offer the following examples:

1. The quantity and quality of Dan's coverage may have fallen behind the coverage that John Dell gives to Winston-Salem State. If you have access to past articles, go back and make your own judgments.

2. Has Dan become complacent in preparing his articles?

For example, in his article prior to the Maryland game he stated that Wake's 13 straight home victory streak was snapped on Feb. 1 by Georgia Tech. In fact, the streak was snapped on Jan. 29 by Syracuse.

3. Finally, did Dan show a lack dedication to his job for the lack of coverage and concern for the Vandy football game?

Yes, I agree the game was probably meaningless to everyone except the players, coaches, and die-hard fans. However, the Journal and Dan made no effort to send our "beat-writer" to Nashviile. Also, Dan even stated that when the game started, he was raking leaves and only went inside to the TV when he was told the Deacs were playing a decent game. You would think, that Dan would have more respect for Coach Grobe and the players than to admit that he had no interest in even watching them on TV, much less traveling 6-7 hours to cover them in person.

I appreciate Dan's efforts to the objective of riding us of Bz and I am only suggesting that for him an introspective look may also not be a bad thing.

Damn, registered here for 2 years and only 2 posts. You pick this to post/start a thread about?

Didn't know about the raking leaves comment. Probably should have kept that one to himself.

Dan's not a fan. His job is to not be a fan.

This seems lost on the posters incensed that he wasn't shouting from the rooftops in year 2 that [Redacted] was a big old loser and should be fired.

I remember the outrage at this article where Dan "took Wellman's side" and was a "mouthpiece" for Wake. Really it's just a non-biased report on both sides of the fence. Not only that, he drops stats that refute Wellman's claims of support via attendance, or at least put them into perspective.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/article_76ef0772-9673-11e2-9fa3-001a4bcf6878.html

You have to be relevant to drum up stories by opinion columnists that would take a side and blast who the fans want blasted. We've had a couple, the espn guy and the grantland guy - but pretty much nobody gives a shit. Pretty laughable to put that on Dan as if his job is to form and push his opinions to sway our AD. I swear people think if he merely prints a quote he's agreeing with it, or that he's supposed to pick and choose what's fair and what's bullshit. And based on what scale - the one determined by a bunch of anonymous messageboard fans?

Wake Forest losing basketball games under the watch of Jeff [Redacted] is not some Watergate that Dan should be blowing up.

3 post rule.

fat-man-and-dog-jpg.jpg

Regardless of how the Wake teams are or are not, it's Dan's job to do a good job covering them. But when he openly goes into a presser with [Redacted] or a player and is nothing but negative, that's not doing his job the right way. He gets paid to do a job that most of us, myself included, would give anything to do - and he looks and acts like he couldn't care less. His attitude and the way he dresses/carries himself speak volumes for his blatant lack of interest.

Thread starter: 2 posts.

westcoastdeac: 1 post.

Strange.

hahaha

it appears the AD is beginning a smear campaign against dan for DARING to speak the truth about buzz

Dan's not a fan. His job is to not be a fan.

This seems lost on the posters incensed that he wasn't shouting from the rooftops in year 2 that [Redacted] was a big old loser and should be fired.

I remember the outrage at this article where Dan "took Wellman's side" and was a "mouthpiece" for Wake. Really it's just a non-biased report on both sides of the fence. Not only that, he drops stats that refute Wellman's claims of support via attendance, or at least put them into perspective.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/article_76ef0772-9673-11e2-9fa3-001a4bcf6878.html

You have to be relevant to drum up stories by opinion columnists that would take a side and blast who the fans want blasted. We've had a couple, the espn guy and the grantland guy - but pretty much nobody gives a shit. Pretty laughable to put that on Dan as if his job is to form and push his opinions to sway our AD. I swear people think if he merely prints a quote he's agreeing with it, or that he's supposed to pick and choose what's fair and what's bullshit. And based on what scale - the one determined by a bunch of anonymous messageboard fans?

Wake Forest losing basketball games under the watch of Jeff [Redacted] is not some Watergate that Dan should be blowing up.

Dan writes an opinion column. Until now, I disagreed with his opinion. For some reason, that's a big deal to you and 94.

I don't have any problem with his beat writing. I wasn't happy that he admitted in his opinion column that he literally phoned in his coverage of the Vandy game though.

I would like to see better coverage of Wake sports. There's much more going on than we see from our traditional media sources.

Back