• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Obama compromise/negotiate with the Tea Party?

Why do the 2010 elections count, but the 2012 elections don't?

The 2012 elections count. All of them, including the part where the people reelected the House to divide the government. Don't they?

Support for the ACA is growing and approval of Republicans is shrinking to historic lows as the shutdown debacle continues.

Keep whistling past that graveyard.

The 2012 elections count. All of them, including the part where the people reelected the House to divide the government. Don't they?

So, 70 some odd Congressional Districts are representative of the majority opinion in America?

So, 70 some odd Congressional Districts are representative of the majority opinion in America?

No, the public opinion polls are. The ones that have never said people support this law and always have opposed it.

No, the public opinion polls are. The ones that have never said people support this law and always have opposed it.

So the campaigns about that in the Senate and for the White House in 2012 were just busting balls?

When the end of the fiscal year approached, just ahead of the date when we hit the debt limit, polls showed that a majority of Americans disapproved of Obamacare and some Republicans thought the time and circumstances were ripe to force its "defunding." Many conservative voices, including some very seasoned political observers, disagreed, saying it would be a very bad move politically, but they were ignored and the confrontation came.

The doubters were right. The strategy shifted the public's attention away from the shortcomings of Obamacare over to a discussion of the merits of the government shutdown, stepping on the original message. Obamacare's troublesome start on Oct. 1, which validated Republican arguments that it is a very poorly written law, went virtually unnoticed because public opinion hated the shutdown more than it hated Obamacare. Most of the blame for the situation has been attributed to Republicans.

Link

It's like you consciously ignore the link to every relevant poll, all taken in the last 90 days.

Well, it's like that b/c you did. Go back and read it again, Jr., this time for understanding.

should BBD take your advice about what happens when you're condescended to?

So the campaigns about that in the Senate and for the White House in 2012 were just busting balls?

No, go back and read my post about the GOP running the only candidate who couldn't run against it effectively. I think the people re-elected a divided government...and a divided government they received. I think they realize that neither party is worthy of their support.

No, go back and read my post about the GOP running the only candidate who couldn't run against it effectively. I think the people re-elected a divided government...and a divided government they received. I think they realize that neither party is worthy of their support.

How is that primaries work again? Voters aren't involved are they?

should BBD take your advice about what happens when you're condescended to?

I'm growing weary of his failures to read what is actually written. I linked the recent polls, and then he immediately insisted that I'm tethered to 2010. No, dumbass, I linked the polls. READ THEM.

I'm growing weary of his failures to read what is actually written. I linked the recent polls, and then he immediately insisted that I'm tethered to 2010. No, dumbass, I linked the polls. READ THEM.

You linked the polls after you mentioned the 2010 elections. If the polls were the only thing you wanted to use, then why even mention the 2010 elections?

Also, re: the polls, I went in and looked at the pdf's of the polls conducted. Support for Obamacare has been steadily growing over time. That's encouraging to me. People want it now a lot more than they did a year ago

You linked the polls after you mentioned the 2010 elections. If the polls were the only thing you wanted to use, then why even mention the 2010 elections?

Also, re: the polls, I went in and looked at the pdf's of the polls conducted. Support for Obamacare has been steadily growing over time. That's encouraging to me. People want it now a lot more than they did a year ago

So you're saying the support of Obamacare---still a minority---is at least historically competitive? Is that right?

You're misleading with the word "divided". The Tea Party is a merely a splinter cell holding up the democratic process. Go back and watch the McCain interview I posted recently and listen to him laugh at Fox News for saying Cruz and the Tea Party represent the Republican Party. ACA is passed, funded, and it's already started. The only division I see is between the vast majority of realists who understand how Democracy works, and a few powerful who think that if they throw a big enough tantrum they can turn back time.

The other way to phrase this question:

"Should Obama encourage the shutting down of government and defaulting on US debts as a viable tactic for a single party faction to leverage in an effort to repeal laws that were passed legally and upheld by the Supreme Court?"

Now ditch Obama for "any President, regardless of party offiliation."

Now ditch the entire President section and just ask is a faction of a party should be allowed to use a shutdown or default as leverage at all.

Hard to believe anyone could still be answering yes to the original question.

The other way to phrase this question:

"Should Obama encourage the shutting down of government and defaulting on US debts as a viable tactic for a single party faction to leverage in an effort to repeal laws that were passed legally and upheld by the Supreme Court?"

Now ditch Obama for "any President, regardless of party offiliation."

Now ditch the entire President section and just ask is a faction of a party should be allowed to use a shutdown or default as leverage at all.

Hard to believe anyone could still be answering yes to the original question.

You aren't familiar with jhmd, are you?

People just vote their best and wait to see the results. I don't think people "decided" to elect a divided government. Having said that, I think many people like the idea of a divided government so as to have a government that isn't "extreme" but that is forced to compromise towards the political middle. At least in theory. But when a growing faction of one party seems convinced that "government" and "compromise" are essentially anathema, the theory of a benefit to a divided government is increasing difficult to sustain.

People just vote their best and wait to see the results. I don't think people "decided" to elect a divided government. Having said that, I think many people like the idea of a divided government so as to have a government that isn't "extreme" but that is forced to compromise towards the political middle. At least in theory. But when a growing faction of one party seems convinced that "government" and "compromise" are essentially anathema, the theory of a benefit to a divided government is increasing difficult to sustain.

You mean people didn't choose their Representative with a bigger picture of balance in the House in mind?!? That's ludicrous.

Back