• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I think you’re supposed to use corn starch not baking soda.

I did wings yesterday in the rotisserie basket on the BGE.

The only wings Publix had were frozen so I thawed them on a baking sheet and put them in a refrigerator to dry out the skin.

Smoked them at 225 for an hour and then opened the lid on the egg to get the flame going and crisp up the skin.

I was actually worried I had overdone them because the skin was so crisp but they were still very juicy inside.

Tossed half in TX Pete Buffalo sauce and half in BW3 Asian Zing.

I think you’re supposed to use corn starch not baking soda.

I did wings yesterday in the rotisserie basket on the BGE.

The only wings Publix had were frozen so I thawed them on a baking sheet and put them in a refrigerator to dry out the skin.

Smoked them at 225 for an hour and then opened the lid on the egg to get the flame going and crisp up the skin.

I was actually worried I had overdone them because the skin was so crisp but they were still very juicy inside.

Tossed half in TX Pete Buffalo sauce and half in BW3 Asian Zing.

Can you come over to my house and do this?

And it was baking powder, not baking soda. Baking powder actually has corn starch in it. They aren't the same thing, but for this particular task, either should be fine (as I understand it).

I do wings about once a month on my BGE. I let them sit to room temp, hit with a thin helping of salt/pepper, then smoke. I think I usually aim for 250/300 dome temp but don't really pay that close attention to it. If I'm not limited by time, I pull them straight off the BGE ready to serve. If I am restricted by time then I will broil for a few minutes to get that final crisp.

Also, I really dont worry about internal temp with wings. If you get the outside right, the chicken will be nice and juicy. Maybe they're tougher on a Tregar since there's not an open flame?

I have also seen folks finish wings on a blackstone after smoking

Whenever I'm doing chicken on the BGE, whether it's a whole chicken, wings, or quarters for bbq chicken, I do a dry brine first. Normally it's just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. But the dry brine will take the moisture out of the skin and make it super crispy and paper thin once it's done cooking.

For wings especially, I don't think a wet brine is necessary at all given the amount of skin and fat.

Whenever I'm doing chicken on the BGE, whether it's a whole chicken, wings, or quarters for bbq chicken, I do a dry brine first. Normally it's just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. But the dry brine will take the moisture out of the skin and make it super crispy and paper thin once it's done cooking.

For wings especially, I don't think a wet brine is necessary at all given the amount of skin and fat.

Thanks. I don't think I'd do a wet brine again. Definitely seemed like a waste of time.

Since it was my first attempt, I went by the book and did all the things.

Definitely agree on the wet brine being unnecessary. For my wings, I crank up the smoker temp to at least 325 for the crispness. Of the smoke, and that helps with the crispiness.

There are two sizes of the Joetisserie basket but I think it’s only L and XL.

I read somewhere that BGE was working on their own branded one but haven’t seen verification anywhere.

I did a porchetta on it awhile ago that was amazing.

Finally got all the parts in to complete my Blaze cast aluminum kamado. My ceramic smoker didn’t last in the mountains with the freeze/thaw cycles. This one should last for centuries.C3FB3581-D987-4CBD-8B11-0FCA9E455074.jpeg

Can a Traeger pellet grill replace both a smoker and a grill? Looking at some black friday sales.

Finally got all the parts in to complete my Blaze cast aluminum kamado. My ceramic smoker didn’t last in the mountains with the freeze/thaw cycles. This one should last for centuries.View attachment 1633
looks nice but what issues did you have with your ceramic grill? I follow a guy on YouTube (Smoking Dad BBQ) who does a lot of KJ tips and tricks and he's in Canada but doesn't seem to have winter issues?

Can a Traeger pellet grill replace both a smoker and a grill? Looking at some black friday sales.

I wouldn't grill on one but I also dont have one. It's my understanding there isn't an open flam with the pellet grills, right?

I wouldn't think so. Unless it's some newer model with some newfangled capabilities (i haven't looked at their product line in 5+ years). My older model pellet grill functions more like an oven /w the added benefit of lots of smoke. Doesn't do high heat very well at all.

looks nice but what issues did you have with your ceramic grill? I follow a guy on YouTube (Smoking Dad BBQ) who does a lot of KJ tips and tricks and he's in Canada but doesn't seem to have winter issues?
User error, mostly attributed to laziness. Condensation built inside the ceramic smoker, got into the ceramic and then ruined it with the freeze thaw cycle. I didn't keep it covered. I have had the exact same ceramic smoker in Charlotte weather for 20 years and it is fine. In hindsight, I recommend keeping the bottom vent on a ceramic smoker open (maybe that will help), keeping it covered, and checking on it every now and then. This was a Grill Dome. Expensive lesson learned.

Pellet grill don’t get hot enough to sear unless you get one that has a gas burner attachment.

Get a kamado with an auto temperature control if you want to do everything well.

I've got a Louisiana Pellet Grill (SL1000) and can sear on mine. Got it from Costco. It has a sliding grate cover to allow direct flame searing and can reach an internal temperature of 600 degrees. However, you cannot do that with a traditional Traeger.

I still have my Weber gas grill, but do not use it since we got the pellet grill.

Back