• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

What time and temps, or other tips, do you have for smoking turkeys? My annual event is tomorrow so I am doing my usual stumbling around for the best techniques. Already in the brine.

I’ve never smoked a whole turkey, but smoked a breast many times. I’ve never brined, but have dry brined. IIRC, it’s 225F and cooks faster than you think.

Smoking is almost never about time. So many variables impact the chamber temp. Humidity, ambient temp, and wind are just a few. I cook my breast to 155 internal, which usually takes between 3 and 4 hours. I crank up the temp for the final 45 min or so to crisp up the skin.

Smoking is almost never about time. So many variables impact the chamber temp. Humidity, ambient temp, and wind are just a few. I cook my breast to 155 internal, which usually takes between 3 and 4 hours. I crank up the temp for the final 45 min or so to crisp up the skin.
Does the internal temp of the breast continue to rise to @165 if you are aiming for 155?

Edit - got it, 155 seems to be the perfect number and is safe

I'm smoking a butt and a turkey breast today. The butt went on the kamado at 6 am. This kamado prefers temps in the 265 range, so I should be ok time-wise. Turkey breast is brining and goes on a smaller kamado at 1 pm.

Read this article for a bit of smoking humor:

"A woman in North Carolina called 911 to report “pink meat” at a barbecue restaurant in the area.

In the 911 call, the woman, whose voice has been altered, said the meat she ordered from Clyde Cooper’s Barbecue on South Wilmington Street was pink, and she wanted it to be cooked longer or exchanged.

“They’re saying the meat is supposed to be pink,” the caller says, claiming she was denied a refund or trade for her order..."

Spatchcock turkey is on and bathing in the smoke. In the words of Tre Boston "I want the smoke!"
df61a9183ceffa268de460653fc3236e.jpg

Looking back, I can't believe I used to follow Butterball's recommended temp of 170 for the breast, much less used to "trust" the temp poppers. Much like when the internal temp of pork was lowered by the FDA, my turkey end product is much more moist and 3x more flavorful.

Not specific to smoking so I apologize for the slight detour. Looking for another grill. Have a Blaze gas grill at my house but not sure if I need that level of investment for this one. Any reason not to just get a Weber? Primarily to be used for quicker grilling applications like burgers, steaks, etc.

Not specific to smoking so I apologize for the slight detour. Looking for another grill. Have a Blaze gas grill at my house but not sure if I need that level of investment for this one. Any reason not to just get a Weber? Primarily to be used for quicker grilling applications like burgers, steaks, etc.
Why can't you just use the blaze? Pardon my confusion, but I'm wondering what the weber is going to do that the Blaze won't?

Why can't you just use the blaze? Pardon my confusion, but I'm wondering what the weber is going to do that the Blaze won't?
Sorry I should have clarified. This is for for a different spot so in addition to my current grill.

Sorry I should have clarified. This is for for a different spot so in addition to my current grill.
Oh word. I've got a Weber Spirit E-310 at home and I love it. I've never done low/slow on it, but for everything else it's been fantastic. Hard to go wrong with Weber IMO.

Spatchcock turkey is on and bathing in the smoke. In the words of Tre Boston "I want the smoke!"
df61a9183ceffa268de460653fc3236e.jpg
Can't believe I've forgot about this thread. I mainly stay on the sports page. I smoked a Turkey on my Pit Boss (got it in April) and really wanted to smoke it this way but instead did it the traditional way. Ole bird came out good.

I've just started smoking stuff this year and have fallen in love with it. My Pit Boss has the ablility to smoke or go up to 500 degrees so I can sear stuff as well. Stuff tastes so much better with smoke.....

Can a Traeger pellet grill replace both a smoker and a grill? Looking at some black friday sales.
I know this is a late reply, but we replaced our propane grill with a Pit Boss Pellet Smoker and we love it. I grille and smoke stuff on it.

I know this is a late reply, but we replaced our propane grill with a Pit Boss Pellet Smoker and we love it. I grille and smoke stuff on it.
Only issue I've had with mine is some discoloration and rusting right above the sear section, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

What are you smoking for NYE? I've got a pork loin and some chicken quarters going. Honey garlic dry rub on the chicken and bbq garlic rub on the loin. We love our garlic in this family.

Smoking three sets of dry rub chicken wings: Butt Rub, Hot for Peacher, and Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Then I'm going to fry them and make some optional sauce.

Not smoking anything for NY, but we are having a ham and I’m using the bone to make red beans and rice on Monday.

But I did get the soapstone plate for my Kamado Joe and I’m excited to sear some stuff on it.

Back