• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

What are you smoking for NYE? I've got a pork loin and some chicken quarters going. Honey garlic dry rub on the chicken and bbq garlic rub on the loin. We love our garlic in this family.

I’m smoking a cigar recommended to me by the guy running the humidor at this Cigar Bar.

Not smoking anything for NY, but we are having a ham and I’m using the bone to make red beans and rice on Monday.

But I did get the soapstone plate for my Kamado Joe and I’m excited to sear some stuff on it.
Soapstone is great. You’ll love it.

24 hours of Daytona, WBB, NFL Conference Championship weekend smoke.
8bc8b5232d8d275ec2fba47c81ea6e5e.jpg

It’s a terrible weekend to do that weather wise, but then we went up to Blowing Rock anyway so nothing in the cards.

Looking forward to doing tacos Al pastor on the Joetisserie soon.

Wings again today. What a great day to sit around, watch TV, and smoke meat.

I was supposed to be out your way at Oak Valley golfing today. Could have swung by, but this rain fucked my plans up.

Do you all finish your smoked wings in the oven or fryer to crisp them up?

Do you all finish your smoked wings in the oven or fryer to crisp them up?

I have a rotisserie basket so I just full open the vents and flame finish them.

However we just got an air fryer so I may start doing that.

When I smoke something I always do wings, meatloaf and whatever else. I freeze all the wings and meatloaf to have meals in the coming weeks. I grill the wings when we are ready for them.

I smoke them at a higher temp, 300 or so, and they get pretty crispy after 2 hours.
Tell me your method, because I'm curious. If I tried cooking mine at 300 for 2 hrs, they'd be so dry and nearly inedible.

I don't think I've ever cooked wings more than 90 minutes before.

I’m using a big green egg and put them on right after I’ve placed the soaked chunks in the coals and deflector plate on top, so I guess it probably ends up being closer to 90 mins of actual cooking at 300. But with wings I move them around pretty regularly after the first 30-45 mins and I use the whole wings because I think they say way juicier. The egg keeps them quite moist but the higher temp allows the skin to really crisp up.

I’ve never had an issue with my wings on the BGE not getting crispy. And always juicy AF too.

I’m using a big green egg and put them on right after I’ve placed the soaked chunks in the coals and deflector plate on top, so I guess it probably ends up being closer to 90 mins of actual cooking at 300. But with wings I move them around pretty regularly after the first 30-45 mins and I use the whole wings because I think they say way juicier. The egg keeps them quite moist but the higher temp allows the skin to really crisp up.
Ahh ok. 300 for 90 min makes more sense. Also moving them around will lower the chamber temp each time.

I don't open the chamber until 90 min in when it's time to probe a couple.

I flip often as well. And I don’t sauce until they’re off. Light salt and pepper before going on is all I do. Jumbo store bought from the fresh section.

Franks + unsalted butter + hidden valley ranch seasoning is my go to sauce. Seems to be the crowd favorite.

Is someone wants a sweeter taste I’ll do a BBQ + Honey mustard mix for a Maui blend.

I do salt pep garlic powder and then sauce with the Noble Made Buffalo sauce.

Back