• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

You can get a ceramic the same size as a WSM.

Price is obviously a big consideration, but the WSM is less versatile.
My only complaint about my KJ is I got a regular size and not the big one.

Ceramics are expensive, but they’re not disposable like a stainless steel gas grill that needs replaced every 5-10 years.

You can get a ceramic the same size as a WSM.

Price is obviously a big consideration, but the WSM is less versatile.

I already have a large gas grill so I don’t need the versatility unless there’s something they can do I’m not thinking about.

Ceramic will get way hotter than your gas grill.

I use my gas grill when I’m being quick, but the KJ is better in every other way.

No it was too early. But everything is now off the smokers and seems delicious so far. Brisket may be my best ever

No it was too early. But everything is now off the smokers and seems delicious so far. Brisket may be my best ever

Hook it up with your brisket recipe and times/temps. I’ve never done one but want to soon.

Ceramics also retain heat better, especially on windy days.

@PhDeac if you're looking into something similar to your electric, you can try a pellet smoker. Some deals can be had, especially at Sam's/Costco.

Webber Kettle is a decent smoker especially with the addition of a Slow N Sear, and also gives you the goat of the charcoal grills.

WSMs are like 95% as good as a big green egg and should be cheaper. WSM are great especially if you already have a gas grill.
Only downside is you’ll spend a lot more on charcoal with a WSM. Over time, it adds up.

I’ve seen estimates that a ceramic is 3x as efficient as a WSM.

I think when I buy a house I will invest in a Kamado or BGE. When I set up my permanent outdoor kitchen

I got my KJ as the deal of the day on Amazon a few years ago. Got a Series II for like $700. Free Prime delivery even.

Only downside is you’ll spend a lot more on charcoal with a WSM. Over time, it adds up.

I’ve seen estimates that a ceramic is 3x as efficient as a WSM.

I get 12+ hrs of smoking temps just from filling up the charcoal ring in the WSM and needing no refills, so it’s not too inefficient.

Certainly beats the hell out of my old modified Brinkmann which required hands on effort of feeding coals the entire session. Really earned the resulting pulled pork back then. At least I was younger then so I could survive drinking all those beers out there.

What kinda charcoal y’all boys using?

I prefer lump over briquette because I feel like it burns cleaner/longer/better but I’m having trouble finding a good brand. I’ve been using B&B oak, but their chunks are sometimes stupid big, or so small they fall through the grates/chimney.

For briquettes I’ve been using Royal Oak Jumbos, been down the rabbit hole here and Royal Oak only uses natural startch binders. Compared to Kingsford and other brands that use Borax as well as other potentially harmful binders.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

Back