• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I’ve been going vents wide open over high indirect heat with the Weber kettle. I toss a couple wood chunks on it, and it takes thirty minutes for the wings to come out crispy and smokey.

Also pro tip for getting wings extra crispy, mix your seasoning rub 50/50 with cornstarch. I like them better raw but you will get crispy wings 100% of the time that way.

Last edited:
Also I found spraying the wings with duck fat after 20mins helps as well.

I did Dino ribs and crab legs last night. Fucking epic.

Also I found spraying the wings with duck fat after 20mins helps as well.

I did Dino ribs and crab legs last night. Fucking epic.
Some of us poors don't have duck fat spray (or spring for crab legs and dinosaurs).

But seriously, I'm working with an electric smoker that tops out at 250. I tried cornstarch one time but the texture was way off.

Some of us poors don't have duck fat spray (or spring for crab legs and dinosaurs).

But seriously, I'm working with an electric smoker that tops out at 250. I tried cornstarch one time but the texture was way off.
At a max of 250, you'll have a tough time crisping them up IMO. You could always finish them in the oven if you want to crisp them up.

Put a half rack of ribs on about 30 min ago.

Will be putting our Tailgate of the Year meatballs on in a few.
fadea849b5e755176e36cd482c65c2c9.jpg

My electric smoker heat mechanism stopped working. I'm going to try to fix it but if I can't, any recs for a reasonably priced smoker that can fit in a small space in an outdoor kitchen?

Yeah. That’s what I have now and it worked fine for 2.5 years, enough to know my family and friends like smoked food, so it’s worth getting a better one. It worked well in that space right beside my sink and grill. I could upgrade or consider something different. Definitely want something that does higher temps than 275.

What’s the price range? A Webber kettle like Cata has can work great. A Kamado Joe or Egg will be more, but also more efficient.

All of those will fit in a smaller space than an offset.

WSM looks good. The ceramics look a little big and out of my price range.

I can’t keep a good fire going today. It’s pissing me off

WSM looks good. The ceramics look a little big and out of my price range.

You can get a ceramic the same size as a WSM.

Price is obviously a big consideration, but the WSM is less versatile.

Back