• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Kamado Joe charcoal. It’s up with the best and not as expensive as Jealous Devil.

I get 12+ hrs of smoking temps just from filling up the charcoal ring in the WSM and needing no refills, so it’s not too inefficient.
I’m the same. First few times I used it I struggled to get temps right but once I did they would stay there forever. I’d look at that heated up smoker and it was just begging for more meat. That’s why I always smoke stuff to put in the freezer.

I was taught by an old gentleman that did BBQ competitions. Kingsford is all I use. He won tournaments for pork BBQ and Kingsford is all he used.

I use Kingsford for the kettle and jealous devil for the BGE.

I think serious eats did a charcoal article recently and jealous devil was their pick. As far as consistency, ash, and not sparking like crazy when I light it jealous devil has been hard to beat.

Kind of want to try some of the coconut charcoal that is supposed to be more sustainable I guess.

I spent a lot of time watching bbq videos on YouTube when I got my BGE at the beginning of covid and heard a couple guys say it doesn’t matter. I normally get the BGE brand because that’s what the Ace in my neighborhood sells.

it's hard to find good charcoal around here. I used to work with a competition BBQer who uses a BGE at home and he told me that Royal Oak is the same stuff as BGE brand. Wanna try the KJ version as I think you can get it at Ace.

it's hard to find good charcoal around here. I used to work with a competition BBQer who uses a BGE at home and he told me that Royal Oak is the same stuff as BGE brand. Wanna try the KJ version as I think you can get it at Ace.
KJ can be found at Lowes

I have a shortcut version of pastrami on the smoker today. First time doing it this way - typically I’d cure a brisket flat myself and then smoke it but this is one of those grocery store corned beefs they put on sale around st Patrick’s day. So I’m smoking it with pastrami rub and we’ll see how that compares to the real deal.

Sell me on some specific ceramic smoker brands. With Father's Day coming up, I think I'm in the mood to go bigger although I'm hesitant to hit 4-figures.

Ph I think if you’re gonna do it you get the BGE. I’ve had mine 3 years now without an issue.

My friend has been trying to sell me on the BGE for years. Hard to sell myself on the price. Plus it seems like there are a ton of “must get” accessories.

I have a Kamado Joe. It includes a lot of the things you have to pay extra for on the BGE like a cart, shelves, deflector plates, etc. It has multi-level cooking grates. And depending on which model you get you get a coal basket and the Slo-Roller which helps with smoking. I have a Series 2 which doesn’t include the latter but I did get the basket after the fact.

The ceramic part is essentially identical to a BGE and it has a better hinge.

They’re much closer than they used to be. BGE sat for a long time and let KJ out innovate them. But, BGE has added some of the features KJ had.

I still love my KJ.

I have a shortcut version of pastrami on the smoker today. First time doing it this way - typically I’d cure a brisket flat myself and then smoke it but this is one of those grocery store corned beefs they put on sale around st Patrick’s day. So I’m smoking it with pastrami rub and we’ll see how that compares to the real deal.
How did this turn out? I have struggled doing any kind of brisket. It taste good but it’s not the fall apart texture I want. I’m think about trying again for July 4th.

I've been doing our corned beef that way for awhile. It's pretty good. I usually soak it for 2 hours to get some of the salt out. Then dry it and season it with a rub. Wrap it up and let it sit overnight. Then smoke it.

Back