• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

How did this turn out? I have struggled doing any kind of brisket. It taste good but it’s not the fall apart texture I want. I’m think about trying again for July 4th.
Here is my rec on the brisket.

Smoke it around 225-250 until you hit internal temps of 170, sprits especially the flat every thirty minutes or so with 50/50 apple cider vinegar.

Wrap the brisket tightly in unwaxed pink butchers papers, BUT here is the secret when you wrap put a big dallop of beef tallow on the paper. Don't wrap in tin foil, it will steam the brisket and ruin your bark.

Amazon product

This right here is what all the Texas BBQ guys are doing.

Then all you got to do is warm the wrapped brisket slowly up past 202F, this is critical to render the fat properly and create a tender brisket. Do not pull the brisket until you hit a minimum of 202.

Also buy a Prime brisket and stay away from choice briskets from Costco. If your only option is a choice Costco brisket order a better one online. You are only going to make a brisket a couple times a year tops, make sure you get a good one.

You do that and Americas Bday will have some tender ass juicy brisket.

Last edited:
Also get on the YouTube and really try an learn how to trim a brisket right. That is key to building good bark and having fat render.

Here is my rec on the brisket.

Smoke it around 225-250 until you hit internal temps of 170, sprits especially the flat every thirty minutes or so with 50/50 apple cider vinegar.

Wrap the brisket tightly in unwaxed pink butchers papers, BUT here is the secret when you wrap put a big dallop of beef tallow on the paper. Don't wrap in tin foil, it will steam the brisket and ruin your bark.

Amazon product

This right here is what all the Texas BBQ guys are doing.

Then all you got to do is warm the wrapped brisket slowly up past 202F, this is critical to render the fat properly and create a tender brisket. Do not pull the brisket until you hit a minimum of 202.

Also buy a Prime brisket and stay away from choice briskets from Costco. If your only option is a choice Costco brisket order a better one online. You are only going to make a brisket a couple times a year tops, make sure you get a good one.

You do that and Americas Bday will have some tender ass juicy brisket.

Thanks for the advice.

Can you sub in pickle juice for the apple cider vinegar? Asking for a friend.

Can you sub in pickle juice for the apple cider vinegar? Asking for a friend.
I bet that would be amazing.

E: Strain it before you put it in a spray bottle.

Last edited:
Who's smoking today (other than my wife)?

My 8.5 lb butt hit the Kamado at 6:30 AM. Currently at 110 internal with the Kamado registering 237 (my Vision Classic B always settles in around that temp.

I smoked a small butt yesterday and a small brisket (part of a brisket cause it was only 3 lbs), Both turned out great...first time ever for brisket. I just delivered some to my in-laws.

Grilled some dogs at the pool.

Doing Carolina style pulled chicken in the slow cooker with a coleslaw that uses Greek yogurt instead of Mayo.

Grilled some dogs at the pool.

Doing Carolina style pulled chicken in the slow cooker with a coleslaw that uses Greek yogurt instead of Mayo.
would love to see that slaw recipe. I'm kind of weird about mayo and normally go for a western style slaw.

Got my best smash burger crust yet. Wife got me a Cuisinart smash burger kit which has a cast iron smasher and a really heavy duty spatula for scraping it up. And combined with my soapstone griddle it’s a great combo.

would love to see that slaw recipe. I'm kind of weird about mayo and normally go for a western style slaw.

We don’t do Mayo. It was pretty tasty.

Grilled some steaks tonight. My maternal family always has a massive gathering mid day on the 4th, so smoking is usually out of the question for me.

Mayo slaw is usually nasty or bland to me. I make vinegar slaw and it’s great.

I grew up eating either vinegar white slaw, or red bbq slaw. I was in HS before I was ever exposed to mayo slaw, and I think it was a Wendy's Carolina style burger that did it.

I've loved my Kamado Joe, but just learned the killed the app that controls the iKamand with no notice.

Mine is still in warranty, so we'll see what happens. I'd like a full refund since they made the device a brick, but I doubt that happens.

I've loved my Kamado Joe, but just learned the killed the app that controls the iKamand with no notice.

Mine is still in warranty, so we'll see what happens. I'd like a full refund since they made the device a brick, but I doubt that happens.
interesting. I've actually spent the past couple of days reading up on it and the Thermoworks Billows. Guess that helps with the decision. I wonder if they killed it because they have the new Konnected Joe grill that integrates it all?

Back