• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

The more I think about it, the idea of keeping them cool and then reheating the outside will be quite problematic. It'll be difficult to keep a uniform internal temperature throughout since the outside will already be cooked from the smoke. That could lead to it being tough and chewy. I think you wont have much of a choice but to cook it in the afternoon.

What's the conventional wisdom on a whole pig? I've never cooked for a group that big, but Nahunta usu. has one for $100.00 bones. Anyone ever tried whole hog at home? (confession: I haven't read the whole thread)

One thing that concerns some people, your bacon, loins, and ribs will get done at a much faster rate than your hams/shoulders due to the size difference. I dont change anything when I cook a whole hog, but in a lot of comps they'll cover the loins and ribs with strips of bacon. It doesnt really make that much of a difference unless you are looking for uniform texture throughout. I just slap some dip on there, and nobody can tell a difference.

Tri tip is a relatively quick cook....basically like grilling a steak....bottom sirloin cut. I would think after 30 min or so of rest, the meat would get mushy as the juices redistribute and saturate the beef. Its not like a brisket that can sit in insulation for a few hours.....different internal components. I've had great results with a reverse sear, rest for 10-15, then slice and serve. And remember to slice against the grain!!! If you slice with the grain the meat will be very chewy.

*Big big updates on the TWC BBQ and Blues cook off in CLT* 10/12-13

TSY & Racer....y'all thinking about cooking? They have made significant changes to the format from the past couple of years.

Tri tip is a relatively quick cook....basically like grilling a steak....bottom sirloin cut. I would think after 30 min or so of rest, the meat would get mushy as the juices redistribute and saturate the beef. Its not like a brisket that can sit in insulation for a few hours.....different internal components. I've had great results with a reverse sear, rest for 10-15, then slice and serve. And remember to slice against the grain!!! If you slice with the grain the meat will be very chewy.

Tracking all of this; not my first time doing tri-tip. I was considering cooking it a few hours prior to serving which would be something I haven't done before; not going to do that tomorrow for reasons TSY pointed out.

"Total grill area is NO LARGER than 15 square feet" This could be problematic. I think mine might be pretty darn close to 15sq ft.

That's an open football weekend, so it might actually be doable. Whats the big change?

The backyard grillers (aka 'challengers') will have a finalist round with top 3 teams required to do on-site presentation to panel of qualified judges. Basically they are trying to eliminate tailgaters who are cooking BBQ on the side. Also the location this year is the NC Music Factory??? Entry fees up to $75/meat. Open to first 50 teams, and you get a 10x20 space.

We do a whole hog for homecoming every year. We average between 125-150 each time, and a 120 lb hog is plenty enough. It's much like cooking butts or shoulders, but just takes longer. What kind of setup are you using? I grew up cooking on a cinder block pit, but have switch to my preferred method, a reverse flow smoker.

I have a simple barrell-style smoker; prolly isn't even big enough to fit a whole pig. I'm really just curious about the process: I value the rub and mop and I am curious how the skin and bones obstruct the cooking and pulling process.

The skin and bones are actually what makes it tasty. You cant beat the flavor of a bone in butt vs one that has already been removed. Just remember its going to take a long time to cook it, so dont start mopping until later on. Otherwise you'll end up with too much caramelization on the outside.

I have a simple barrell-style smoker; prolly isn't even big enough to fit a whole pig. I'm really just curious about the process: I value the rub and mop and I am curious how the skin and bones obstruct the cooking and pulling process.

When you've cooked a hog all night the meat practically falls off the bone; no real obstruction when it comes time to pull.

The tri tip turned out great. I smoked them for about 2 hours up to an internal temp around 120 and reversed seared them over a hot fire to about 130. Wrapped them up tight in foil and took them to the party. They were wrapped about an hour, but they ended up turning out really nicely. Once was Medium and the other closer to Medium Rare. I didn't mean to let them sit as long as they did, but it didn't seem to impact the meat at all.

I did a pork butt yesterday. Turned out tasty but greasy, I think because I left too much of the fat cap in the mix when I chopped it up. Do you guys usually discard the fat cap after smoking or keep it in the chop?

I pull it off, unless it turns out extremely dry. If so, then I'll mix some back in to moisten it up. I will say this, if you can pull it off skin and all, then scrape the fat off the skin, throw the skin on a hot grill for a minute or two, that'll be one of the best pork skins you've ever eaten.

I've been throwing around ideas for a vertical smoker for my future trailer and last night I decided on a water smoker, similar to the one Myron with Jack's Old South uses. Eventually, I'm going to cook the same meat on both it and my reverse flow smoker and see which one tastes better. Nothing like a side by side comparison.

I've been throwing around ideas for a vertical smoker for my future trailer and last night I decided on a water smoker, similar to the one Myron with Jack's Old South uses. Eventually, I'm going to cook the same meat on both it and my reverse flow smoker and see which one tastes better. Nothing like a side by side comparison.

I volunteer to serve on the official judging panel.

\

My dream cooker is the JedMaster with the three 3x5 rotisserie grates and Ring of Fire firebox. I believe Myron used to cook on these years ago. Sadly they no longer build the JedMaster comp trailers for retail and now only focus on backyard grills. But the schematics behind their smoking technique is pretty simple to understand, and I think with the right fabricator, could be cloned??? Would need to find a motor strong enough to turn 100# meat effeciently and cost effectively.

I threw 6 racks of ribs on the Weber this afternoon. 3 baby backs and 3 St Louis style. It was much too hot for the traditional smoker. It's so nice sitting in the AC watching my temps rather than standing on the hot trailer.

The skin and bones are actually what makes it tasty. You cant beat the flavor of a bone in butt vs one that has already been removed. Just remember its going to take a long time to cook it, so dont start mopping until later on. Otherwise you'll end up with too much caramelization on the outside.

:cam:

I threw 6 racks of ribs on the Weber this afternoon. 3 baby backs and 3 St Louis style. It was much too hot for the traditional smoker. It's so nice sitting in the AC watching my temps rather than standing on the hot trailer.

A few pics of the smoke and results. I learned that I can only fit 5 racks of ribs on the Weber at one time, that last rack had to be stacked. I may have been able to fit all 6 if they were baby backs. I've been reluctant to do St Louis style ribs, but after this weekend I decided I like them better. More meaty, more forgivable than baby backs. I've turned a corner. I also have done my last smoke on the Weber. I prefer the actual smoker. I had the damnedest time regulating my temps.

mjpxd1.jpg

2m4f51f.jpg

34ov67n.jpg

This was the rack I really babied. It turned out phenomenal.
qxtemx.jpg

My wife decided to take a frou frou picture of a dressed up plate with some Mac-N-Cheese.
1ptm6a.jpg

Last edited:
Back