• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Need some input. My family has a crockpot shredded beef recipe that we have used for 2 generations. We love it and always have it at family events. I like to use a 4-5 pound chuck roast but you can use a round roast and slow cook it with stewed tomatoes and a small onion. I was thinking about smoking the roast to add flavor instead of using the crock pot. What do you guys think?

Rubbed down and ready for smoke.
180275_463368407025846_487579218_n.jpg

I love me some burnt ends...
428461_463939223635431_1584970432_n.jpg

So good your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.
598857_463939783635375_904376901_n.jpg

Do it. It'll have a more complex flavor than it ever would in the crock pot.

OK, what beef roast cut do you think would work best? I smoke a pretty good boston butt. Is it the same process? Is there a any difference in working with Beef vs Pork? I occasionally smoke Texas style beef ribs and I pretty much use the same method as pork ribs. How about wood? Is mesquite better for beef than hickory? I assume applewood (chickens and turkeys) is not the answer? Need advice please. btw, those briskets look awesome.

Cook it as you would a brisket, and I prefer the fattiest cut of meat you can find. They tend to dry out less. Beef doesn't absorb the flavors as much as other kinds of meat so you'll be safe with mesquite. I prefer non fruity flavors with beef, so I chose not to add apple, but it's up to you. I've had some apple smoked brisket others have cooked and the flavors just didn't mesh for me. Beef is great sliced, and as long as you are over 180 internal, you'll be ok. To pull it apart, you'll want it over 200-205. IMO sliced beef looks better, but the pulled beef tastes better.

I'm going to build a specialty cooking/catering trailer in the next year or so. After that I'm planning on doing more of the local and regional bbq competitions. Gotta take baby steps.

Cook it as you would a brisket, and I prefer the fattiest cut of meat you can find. They tend to dry out less. Beef doesn't absorb the flavors as much as other kinds of meat so you'll be safe with mesquite. I prefer non fruity flavors with beef, so I chose not to add apple, but it's up to you. I've had some apple smoked brisket others have cooked and the flavors just didn't mesh for me. Beef is great sliced, and as long as you are over 180 internal, you'll be ok. To pull it apart, you'll want it over 200-205. IMO sliced beef looks better, but the pulled beef tastes better.

Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll probably try this next week for the 4th. The chuck roasts are the fattiest so I"ll stick to that. Our sauce is what really makes it. I'll add the stewed tomatoes and onions to the sauce after cooking them down slowly.

btw,, boston butts on sale at Harris Teeter this week for $1.79 per pound.

There's a lot of debate over smoking with fat side up vs fat side down, but I've always gone fat side up. Whenever I go fat side down at first, the fat tends to stick to the grate and separates from the meat when its time to flip. I let the fat render on top and run down the sides of the meat, and then later in the smoke when I flip it to fat side down it tends to stick less. It pains me to see people trim all the fat off meat before smoking. You're just throwing away so much moisture and flavor.

Gotta keep my friends in the cath lab busy.

Ironically, the brisket was cooked for the graduating cardiology fellows party, so the cath lab, cardiologists, and CCU staff were the ones eating.

Gotta keep my friends in the cath lab busy.

Ironically, the brisket was cooked for the graduating cardiology fellows party, so the cath lab, cardiologists, and CCU staff were the ones eating.

Interesting...I know a few of the fellows in that program. My wife's fellows party was last night as well, and I wish we had your brisket rather than the bland country club dinner that was served.

Regarding fat side up/down, I've always had the best luck with fat side down, especially for pork butts and brisket. It seems to develop a darker, crustier bark on the show side of the meat. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but that's been the minute difference from what I can tell.

Last night's season finale of BBQ Pitmasters was from the BBQ Capitol Cookoff in Lexington from late April. Had I known, I'd have definitely been out there. Watching this season has got me amped up about smoking again. I ordered the wheels for one of the new trailers this morning. I still need to come across an old propane tank. New ones cost close to $900, which is way more than I want to put into one.

What's everyone smoking for the 4th? Some of its already covered in the July 4th thread. I'm thinking about doing some ribs now after hearing townie talk about his upcoming plans.

Smoked a turkey the other weekend. Using one of the usual til foil roasting pans, rested it over potatos, carrots, onions, garlic bulbs, lemon-halves, rosemary sprigs and turnips. It's easier than a pork shoulder and a good change of pace, especially when you pair it with a rack of ribs.

What's the conventional wisdom on a whole pig? I've never cooked for a group that big, but Nahunta usu. has one for $100.00 bones. Anyone ever tried whole hog at home? (confession: I haven't read the whole thread)

We do a whole hog for homecoming every year. We average between 125-150 each time, and a 120 lb hog is plenty enough. It's much like cooking butts or shoulders, but just takes longer. What kind of setup are you using? I grew up cooking on a cinder block pit, but have switch to my preferred method, a reverse flow smoker.

TSY - I'm going to smoke a couple of tri-tips tomorrow, maybe with a reverse sear. If I do them in the morning (say done by 1200) and wrap them in foil, what's the best way to reheat at 4 pm when it's time to eat? I'm going for a nice med-rare to medium, so I don't want to cook them too much when I reheat.

I honestly don't know of any way other than to throw them briefly on a very hot grill. Any other way, and you run the risk of over cooking the inside. I suppose you could throw them in the fridge/cooler in between the smoke and the reheat, and that'd help preserve your internal temp. I've never waited that long between cooking and serving though.

Sounds like I'm cooking in the afternoon...Seems to make more sense to serve them when they come off the smoker (and rest, of course).

Back