• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I'm finally taking Tuffalo's advice and getting the smokey joe and setting up the smoker. Doing a pork butt. I plan on doing a lot of smoking when I'm done with school.

My man,

Pork butt on a smokey joe is going to be some work. Am I crazy (to the group) to think that's going to be a delicate balancing act, given that small space to operate in?

Step up to the full kettle.

Dry-brined turkey is way/2 done on the offset smoker. Layered the bottom of the roasting pan with root vegetables and lemons. Planning on pureeing the vegetables (after extracting the lemon peels) into a pan gravy. So far the senses say this looks promising.

I'm finally taking Tuffalo's advice and getting the smokey joe and setting up the smoker. Doing a pork butt. I plan on doing a lot of smoking when I'm done with school.

So what's the verdict?

Am I crazy (to the group) to think that's going to be a delicate balancing act, given that small space to operate in?

A smaller space can actually be easier to maintain a specific temperature using less fuel than a larger one. You have to know what you're doing a little more, as it'll respond much quicker to adding additional fuels, but the advantage is that if you do happen to lose temp, bringing it back up wont add very much time to the cook. There are some that swear by smaller smokers, but like everything else its all a matter of personal preference.

Dry-brined turkey is way/2 done on the offset smoker. Layered the bottom of the roasting pan with root vegetables and lemons. Planning on pureeing the vegetables (after extracting the lemon peels) into a pan gravy. So far the senses say this looks promising.

drooling+%28most+likely+over+food%29.gif

I pull it off, unless it turns out extremely dry. If so, then I'll mix some back in to moisten it up. I will say this, if you can pull it off skin and all, then scrape the fat off the skin, throw the skin on a hot grill for a minute or two, that'll be one of the best pork skins you've ever eaten.

Do you wrap in foil? I wrap when the temp. gets to 165 and it helps to keep moist, it also helps with the stall point.

To be honest, brisket is the only thing I wrap. I've wrapped the others in the past, but didnt like the results as much.

The last Butt I did, I spayed with a mix of apple juice and captain morgan spiced rum and then wrapped it - very moist.

A friend of mine is heading down to Unadilla GA next week to pick up a water smoker he ordered from Jack's Old South. I'm getting him to take tons of pictures, as that's the basis for the second smoker I want on my trailer to accompany my reverse flow. I'll try to post the pics for discussion once they come in.

My man,

Pork butt on a smokey joe is going to be some work. Am I crazy (to the group) to think that's going to be a delicate balancing act, given that small space to operate in?

Step up to the full kettle.

I meant that I was going to take his advice as far as modifying my current set-up by using the smokey joe in addition to my current set-up.

A friend of mine is heading down to Unadilla GA next week to pick up a water smoker he ordered from Jack's Old South. I'm getting him to take tons of pictures, as that's the basis for the second smoker I want on my trailer to accompany my reverse flow. I'll try to post the pics for discussion once they come in.

Interesting.

So is the 3-2-1 method mean:

3 Hours Smoking
2 Hours in Foil
1 Hour out of the foil

I got a Smokey Joe today at Target for $14.98. Going to make the changes to my smoker tomorrow, but probably won't use it until next weekend.

No go on the bbq pitmasters. We arent going to be able to shoot a video. Bummer. Theres always next year.

This has been an epic week of smoking for me. Saturday at the UNC tailgate, we did 18 racks of ribs. Last night I did 14 beer can chickens, and 15 racks of ribs. Tomorrow I'm doing 9 racks of ribs and 2 boston butts. I've enjoyed the hell out of it, but I dont know that I could swing doing this every day.

I got my friend's dad's old smoker since he bought a new one. I've never used one before. I'm really excited, but tell me what to do.

Back