• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I've got about 25 adults and a handful of children coming over for BBQ on the first. I'm thinking 3 butts should be enough to feed that crowd (assuming 7-8 pounds, uncooked) and have some left over. Also serving greens, black eyed peas, and cornbread. That should be enough meat, right?

I've got about 25 adults and a handful of children coming over for BBQ on the first. I'm thinking 3 butts should be enough to feed that crowd (assuming 7-8 pounds, uncooked) and have some left over. Also serving greens, black eyed peas, and cornbread. That should be enough meat, right?

Figure 1/4 lb per adult, final cooked weight. About half that for children. For a medium sized butt, I figure on it feeding 6-10 people with enough for people to take home extras. With the sides and everything else, I think your meat estimate is spot on.

Anyone ever smoke oysters?

Bump. Getting a few dozen for new years and wanted to try out a few styles, though I may end up just doing all of them raw if I don't hear any good smoking tips.

Bump. Getting a few dozen for new years and wanted to try out a few styles, though I may end up just doing all of them raw if I don't hear any good smoking tips.

I've done them in the shell, over charcoal before. That's pretty good; imparts a bit of smokiness as they roast over direct heat. You could try throwing some wood chips on the charcoal as well.

As for a true smoked oyster (a la The Ordinary), I've never done those. Let us know how they turn out if you go that route.

i dont think they would turn out well in a smoker... the over the charcoal method is good because its direct heat and its hot enough to cook then in a short amount of time and not over cook the shit out of them.. just remember to throw a wet burlap bag over them and they will turn out good

i've never made them, but a local oyster bar does chargrilled oysters that are just fantastic

With all of the chili talk on the other thread, anyone have a good chili recipe either using smoked meat or slow cooking in a dutch oven on a smoker?

Put 3 butts on the WSM last night; total uncooked weight was about 26 pounds. I ran the smoker without water which was a first for me, but I didn't notice any significant issues with holding temperature, and the smoker got up to temp much faster than with water (as expected). It ran all night (9 pm - 6 am) in the sweet spot (225-275). I threw a couple of handfuls of charcoal in at 0630 and it stayed around 220 until 10:30 when I pulled them off. The big one nearly fell apart as I took it off the grill; great smoke ring and nice bark. They're double wrapped in foil and sitting in a cooler right now.

I'm pleased. I just hope it's enough for the people coming over.

That should be plenty LCD. What internal temp did you cook them to?

Don't know; 200 or so. The bone was wiggling quite easily so I took that as the sign that they were ready. Didn't use a thermometer though.

That sounds about right. They'll pull apart at 195. The sheer volume of greens on your table was impressive.

That sounds about right. They'll pull apart at 195. The sheer volume of greens on your table was impressive.

Lol, yeah. It was like 20 bunches; pretty much all that they had at HT. They happened to be local too (John's Island). They're just about ready and they taste awesome.

Oysters were silly good. Shucked them and put the top on askew and smoked for about five min at <200.

Couple slabs of ribs last night, just put in a turkey today. Off and running for 2015, the year of smoked meats.

Couple slabs of ribs last night, just put in a turkey today. Off and running for 2015, the year of smoked meats.

got a couple of slabs finishing up right now. They look marvelous. 2015 is killing it so far.

Gonna smoke some sausage this weekend. Just thought I'd tell this thread.

Back