• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

I guess I am taking over LK's grumping about school being closed. Although, I am very glad they are making good decisions to keep everyone safe (and my road is a terrible sheet of ice going one way), I cannot get any work done while trying to entertain E.
Matt had to go into the office, the other 2 are at daycare (which opened at 10) and I can't even figure out what to do with him today let alone tomorrow. I really need to go into work on Wednesday, but it's not looking good...

S would sit in front of the TV for 4 days straight (that's my boy), but E might watch something for 15 min before he wants to play basketball, run around, paint, play a board game, begs to go outside...

I was talking with a friend who is an Assistant Principal at one of the WSFC elementary schools. She said that there had been some talk about trying to have "alternate" bus stops to use on bad weather days so that the buses don't have to go into neighborhoods where the roads haven't been cleared. I doubt it happens because it makes too much sense.

I was talking with a friend who is an Assistant Principal at one of the WSFC elementary schools. She said that there had been some talk about trying to have "alternate" bus stops to use on bad weather days so that the buses don't have to go into neighborhoods where the roads haven't been cleared. I doubt it happens because it makes too much sense.

Similarly, I thought at one point there had been talk of splitting WCPSS into districts, so the S/SE district could have school while the N/NW side of things could be off. It's such a huge county and always on the snow/rain line - there are definitely instances of people with zero precipitation being called off school because of some far-off iced over back road in the northern part of the county.

IMHO, snow is worse that it's been and the schools better start planning around it, else the kids will be in school until next year.

We used to maybe get a snow every year. Now, we're getting multiples, with one of them being big.

Similarly, I thought at one point there had been talk of splitting WCPSS into districts, so the S/SE district could have school while the N/NW side of things could be off. It's such a huge county and always on the snow/rain line - there are definitely instances of people with zero precipitation being called off school because of some far-off iced over back road in the northern part of the county.

Charlotte has this problem x 10. South Meck literally got <.5 inch while Huntersville/Lake Norman areas got 6-7+. And I think the rain/snow/ice line for every single winter "storm" cuts the CLT metro in half.

Charlotte has this problem x 10. South Meck literally got <.5 inch while Huntersville/Lake Norman areas got 6-7+. And I think the rain/snow/ice line for every single winter "storm" cuts the CLT metro in half.

This.

Guilford County has this in place and has never used it. Once again money well spent for the govt employees to design something and never use it.. Truthfully I think the pushback by rural families and those without the means to get their kids to the stop would be opening another can of worms.

Guilford County has this in place and has never used it. Once again money well spent for the govt employees to design something and never use it.. Truthfully I think the pushback by rural families and those without the means to get their kids to the stop would be opening another can of worms.

Then give those kids an excused absence if they can't make it or their parents say they are uncomfortable getting them to that bus stop, but don't shut it down for everyone else. LCD in education at its finest.

So lots of NC has been below freezing for 72+ hours. Once we get above freezing today, we might not get back below freezing for 10+ days. Classic NC winters. Time to break the clubs back out for this weekend.

This storm was quite unusual 1) because it dumped such a large amount of snow in NC, but also B) it hasn't melted one bit for 4 days because of the frigid aftermath.

This storm was quite unusual 1) because it dumped such a large amount of snow in NC, but also B) it hasn't melted one bit for 4 days because of the frigid aftermath.

Sure, but it's not like de-icer won't still melt it when below freezing, especially with cars running over it to warm/chop it up. It isn't too hard to address in every other place where it snows and stays below freezing. It's not like it snows and ices here once a decade, it happens every fucking year, often multiple times a year. The "we're not used to it" excuse played out a long time ago, how the fuck are you not used to it by now, it happens every year?

Cool?

I'm stating it's highly unusual for this significant amount snow, and that it did not melt quickly in a typically-temperate state like NC. The couple times a year it snows, it usually melts within a couple days. Sometimes even the same afternoon.

Sure, but it's not like de-icer won't still melt it when below freezing, especially with cars running over it to warm/chop it up. It isn't too hard to address in every other place where it snows and stays below freezing. It's not like it snows and ices here once a decade, it happens every fucking year, often multiple times a year. The "we're not used to it" excuse played out a long time ago, how the fuck are you not used to it by now, it happens every year?

It's not fiscally responsible to spend anywhere near the amount of money that the north spends on machines that clear ice and snow at this amount in North Carolina.

It's not a "we're not used to it", it's a "this is a rare event to get 7+ inches of snow, so we shouldn't buy the machinery necessary to deal with this amount once every five years"./

It seems like these kinds of storms are becoming more common. If that proves to be statistically sound, we should spend more money to keep things running after the storm.

It seems like these kinds of storms are becoming more common. If that proves to be statistically sound, we should spend more money to keep things running after the storm.

GLOBAL WARMING

It's not fiscally responsible to spend anywhere near the amount of money that the north spends on machines that clear ice and snow at this amount in North Carolina.

It's not a "we're not used to it", it's a "this is a rare event to get 7+ inches of snow, so we shouldn't buy the machinery necessary to deal with this amount once every five years"./

Ugh the same BS excuse. Guess what, the north doesn't spend more on machinery to clear the snow, they already have the machinery the same way as the south does - they are called garbage trucks and municipal dump trucks and whatever other big heavy trucks the town/county/state already owns. They put a plow on the front of what they already have, they don't buy a whole new truck. This isn't some massive crippling expenditure.

Ugh the same BS excuse. Guess what, the north doesn't spend more on machinery to clear the snow, they already have the machinery the same way as the south does - they are called garbage trucks and municipal dump trucks and whatever other big heavy trucks the town/county/state already owns. They put a plow on the front of what they already have, they don't buy a whole new truck. This isn't some massive crippling expenditure.

Just simply not true.

next time a bunch of old people die during a heatwave in Chicago we'll be sure to remind you that air conditioning is cheap and the government should buy one for everyone.

Back