• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

This thread gets bumped and I think snow is on the way but I know it's impossible because of sunlight and such. Wish we could just let this thread die.

I can't imagine a better use of money for a municipal government than to spend it on purchasing plows to give out to private citizens to attach to their own cars when it snows twice a year in Winston-Salem.

This is fantastic policymaking that we need more of. Thanks 2&2 !

No shit, but if you plow the snow off the top of it, then the ice melts when the sun comes out, instead of the snow having to melt first and then the ice. This isn't an overly complex theory.

but when it's 28 degrees the ice doesn't melt much. THAT'S why school was closed this week.

but when it's 28 degrees the ice doesn't melt much. THAT'S why school was closed this week.

Sure it does when cars are driving on it without snow compacting on it. It's 28, not -8, this isn't the arctic. It doesn't take much friction for ice to get chewed up and melt at 28. Get the snow off of it, keep the ice to a minimum, and it'll be gone pretty quick with the temps we had. Leave it alone and compact 4 inches of snow on top of it and it will hang around for a while.

I understand how this works. The main streets in charlotte were clear by the end of the weekend. The problem is lightly traveled streets out in the county, many of which are heavily shaded, with lots of ice. You can plow that all you want, but cars can't drive on it, and if you do it's like driving on a skating rink. No traffic, limited sunlight, and 28 degrees - so it stays frozen until temps come up.

Yeah, with a high of 44. Probably nothing of substance.

Looking more and more like the Triad/northern Triangle may get some snow Saturday night/Sunday morning. Of course, per usual, model guidance ranges anywhere from 8 inches to absolutely nothing but rain. Either way, it's going to be much colder, and a lot of the new leaves/flowers are going to be toast.

1a6550c1854176fda108bda4ee9ce396.jpg

snow line on the latest models is down into SC - so even charlotte may get some snow this weekend. And then several hard freezes next week - no beautiful spring blooms coming. Hopefully we can kill off this first wave of mosquitos though.

Just looked at our extended outlook for the first time in a while. Monday night is 5-8 inches and Tuesday morning is 1-3 in. Wtf?

I don't mind this morning's snow, seems gentle enough, not sticking to anything, still warmish, kinda pretty. good last snow of the year, probably. 8/10

isn't the northeast going to get a foot over the next few days?

Back