• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

It is definitely true that a 2 hour delay could pose a significant burden to a lot of people. While I am among the WFHElite, well more than half of my company is not and cannot be. They need to be in the field and at our facilities. If their kid has a two hour delay, they may need to come up with contingency plans to get their kids to school, which aren't always easy. Even for the WFHElite, I know some of my colleagues who struggle with delays due to meetings they can't move. I don't have kids so I have no dog in the fight, but logging in from home for a sec isn't always a viable option. Though if that is an option then yeah, Squirrely Dan should probs take is down 20 percent.

I get the inconvenience that school closures and 2 hour delays cause to parents, especially since public education in NC has devolved into little more than glorified babysitting service while people work, but from my experience checking roads and being involved in the process of deciding on school closures, we're always going to err on the side of student safety. When you are taking the micro rather than the macro perspective, I understand how it can be immensely frustrating.

Last edited:
Ok, and then if you make that announcement you have tons and tons of kids that are laying out of school because there's not repercussion for missing that day of school and it becomes a wasted educational day.

Channeling others: And that’s different how?

Looks like rain on Friday afternoon. Need a lunchtime release (of course some students eat lunch at 10:30 AM).

I get the inconvenience that school closures and 2 hour delays cause to parents, especially since public education in NC has devolved into little more than glorified babysitting service while people work, but from my experience checking roads and being involved in the process of deciding on school closures, we're always going to err on the side of student safety. When you are taking the micro rather than the macro perspective, I understand how it can be immensely frustrating.

Mako checking the roads and running the numbers

what is the threshold for shutting down your office over weather? when did you mandate return to office during Covid? or did you just never shut down?
We don't shut down for weather. If you can get to the office, then get there. If you can't, then make up your work when you can, it's fine, but nobody else is waiting on you. Be a responsible adult and don't make up excuses not to work like oh shit there is a garbage can in the road.

For Covid we shut down in-person for about 4 weeks until we realized most of the precautions were politicized bullshit that made no logical sense. Then everybody was back to work in person, and nobody died for the next year that schools were still closed.

Ok, and then if you make that announcement you have tons and tons of kids that are laying out of school because there's not repercussion for missing that day of school and it becomes a wasted educational day.
Sure for high school. But the other 10 grades prior thereto, where the parents are still handling the logistics of getting them to school, still see a big benefit. The 11 year old isn't laying out of school.

If your kid turns out to be a pussy because he didn't go to school for a day or two, I can assure you it's not the fault of the educational system.
If it is once or twice, then sure. But we've had 4 solid years of the school system coming up with continuous, ridiculous reasons not to show up. And then its not surprising when employers say they can't find employees at younger ages to consistently show up to work. Part of education is teaching good and successful habits. Our educational system is teaching kids to make up absurd excuses not to show up.

i wouldn't say there's a glass ceiling at this place. more of a heavy iron cellar door

We, and like 5K+ people, still don't have power just south of South Park. Estimate was moved up from 11:45 to 7 PM tonight. It's kind of interesting because I'd much rather have my kids in school than stuck at home with no power in this situation, but it also shows how nuts that storm was yesterday (for many).

As a weather nerd, I'd put it in my top 3 most intense non-tropical storms I can remember.

If it is once or twice, then sure. But we've had 4 solid years of the school system coming up with continuous, ridiculous reasons not to show up. And then its not surprising when employers say they can't find employees at younger ages to consistently show up to work. Part of education is teaching good and successful habits. Our educational system is teaching kids to make up absurd excuses not to show up.
Like birthing a child?

Back