• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Roads are good in Winston, just a lot of water on them. Not sure if they will freeze or not tonight.

I did find a few slippery spots on my drive back to gso from ws, so it was definitely refreezing. We open at 9 today. Dr. Atala is coming to do a seminar for our national conference, so everyone is super glad we aren't cancelled.:noidea:

I did find a few slippery spots on my drive back to gso from ws, so it was definitely refreezing. We open at 9 today. Dr. Atala is coming to do a seminar for our national conference, so everyone is super glad we aren't cancelled.:noidea:

That is awesome!

WSFCS closed tomorrow....much like all the surrounding counties, I believe.

Ok, honestly this has become a joke. I drove all over Winston yesterday, main roads, side streets, etc. and there wasn't significant snow on the roads anywhere. The snow from this storm was cleared faster than any I can remember over the past few years

Ok, honestly this has become a joke. I drove all over Winston yesterday, main roads, side streets, etc. and there wasn't significant snow on the roads anywhere. The snow from this storm was cleared faster than any I can remember over the past few years

There are some ice patches around. We could've gone to school with a delay at worst though.

What did the roads out in the county look like?

What did the roads out in the county look like?

Maybe the city and county should be able to disconnect scheduling for snow days? Why make the city kids go to school in July because other people want to live in the country?

Maybe the city and county should be able to disconnect scheduling for snow days? Why make the city kids go to school in July because other people want to live in the country?

I'm sure if the County Commissioners and School Board wanted to go that route they would, since they run the schools and the cities are not involved whatsoever.

Again...this is no longer about extending the school year as June 12 will be the last day. It's about unnecessarily missing school that simply won't ever get rescheduled.

Again...this is no longer about extending the school year as June 12 will be the last day. It's about unnecessarily missing school that simply won't ever get rescheduled.

Gotcha. I wasn't a fan of them (Guilford) getting forgiveness for the days last year. If going to school a certain number of days is important, the kids should go, not miss days because the school system won't find a way to get them there.

Got about 5" here in Chappy. Lost power around 10pm Wed night and didn't get it back until about an hour ago. Woke up yesterday morning to a tree laying on our house. Yesterday was bearable but this morning I woke up to a household temp of 40 degrees. Fucking cold. Only three houses in our neighborhood were without power, ours and both our bordering neighbors. Everyone else was fine. I spoke with the Duke Energy guy has he was fixing our line- he told me that our neighbor's tree branch touched my line and blew my power out- while we sat in darkness he had his fancy generator running the last two days and at night his house was lit up like it was Christmas. I think I fucking hate him now.

It was absurd for schools to be out today. I drove downtown and into the rural areas today and found no ice or water on the roads. One small spot of ice in my in-laws neighborhood that a bus could easily get over at 20 mph if it had to.

As a teacher, getting a day or two for snow is great. But the last two weeks have been ridiculous. Students are less focused when this shit is about to happen, so the 3 days we have had in the last two weeks have not been the most productive. It's also sucked for those of us who coach spring sports since we haven't been able to practice but once the last two weeks. Same goes for basketball playoffs.

Because there are no neighborhood schools anymore. With Magnet Schools and school choice, kids come to schools from all over the county. Me secretary lives in Kernersville and her daughter goes to Reynolds because it is the arts magnet school.

I don't understand why an entire district cancels if there are conditions that affect less than 5%. Can't you just tell students not to come if the conditions aren't safe where they are and that their absence won't be held against them?

I don't understand why an entire district cancels if there are conditions that affect less than 5%. Can't you just tell students not to come if the conditions aren't safe where they are and that their absence won't be held against them?

Because people will come who shouldn't and people who should won't. Plus those who don't come will get behind. Also, everyone is assuming they know the percentages behind these closings. I have no dog in the fight, but leaving it up to the general public is a non starter

Because people will come who shouldn't and people who should won't. Plus those who don't come will get behind. Also, everyone is assuming they know the percentages behind these closings. I have no dog in the fight, but leaving it up to the general public is a non starter

It is 2015. Half of our kids homework is on the internet. Not sure why we insist that we have to risk safety and create avoidable hassle through make-up days on Saturdays/summer/Spring Break. If we insist on bussing our kids all over creation and thereby choose this problem, why not at least use 1997 technology to have pre-recorded lectures on the internet? It would have to be a fairly neutral lesson since you never know which days get nuked or the teacher could record it at home at upload it, along with an assignment by Noon.

It certainly beats 3.5 hours makeup hours on a Saturday where they watch videos on an AV car in front of half the class.

Back