• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

It is 2015. Half of our kids homework is on the internet. Not sure why we insist that we have to risk safety and create avoidable hassle through make-up days on Saturdays/summer/Spring Break. If we insist on bussing our kids all over creation and thereby choose this problem, why not at least use 1997 technology to have pre-recorded lectures on the internet? It would have to be a fairly neutral lesson since you never know which days get nuked or the teacher could record it at home at upload it, along with an assignment by Noon.

It certainly beats 3.5 hours makeup hours on a Saturday where they watch videos on an AV car in front of half the class.

Pedagogically, watching recorded lectures on the internet is not an equivalent learning experience to being in the classroom. Again, I know very little about current protocol, and don't really care about it right now, but was just saying leaving it up to individuals was asking for trouble

Because people will come who shouldn't and people who should won't. Plus those who don't come will get behind. Also, everyone is assuming they know the percentages behind these closings. I have no dog in the fight, but leaving it up to the general public is a non starter

eh i think thats a reach. its one day off from school. i would go on weeklong vacations and come back and be fine

Pedagogically, watching recorded lectures on the internet is not an equivalent learning experience to being in the classroom. Again, I know very little about current protocol, and don't really care about it right now, but was just saying leaving it up to individuals was asking for trouble

Probably, but you know how this ends, right? 1/2 the class watching an afterschool special on an AV cart on a Saturday in May to check some arbitrary legislative box.

Also, please use smaller words. Public school filth over here.

Free/reduced school lunch/breakfast also plays a role.

How so? There doesn't seem to be any push from the school system to do anything except err on the side of extreme caution.

If they were concerned about free/reduced lunch/breakfast, they should be out there delivering when they call off school.

The number 1, 2 and 3 concern of the school system is frivolous lawsuits.

It is 2015. Half of our kids homework is on the internet. Not sure why we insist that we have to risk safety and create avoidable hassle through make-up days on Saturdays/summer/Spring Break. If we insist on bussing our kids all over creation and thereby choose this problem, why not at least use 1997 technology to have pre-recorded lectures on the internet? It would have to be a fairly neutral lesson since you never know which days get nuked or the teacher could record it at home at upload it, along with an assignment by Noon.

It certainly beats 3.5 hours makeup hours on a Saturday where they watch videos on an AV car in front of half the class.

And what about the kids that don't have internet in their homes?

How so? There doesn't seem to be any push from the school system to do anything except err on the side of extreme caution.

If they were concerned about free/reduced lunch/breakfast, they should be out there delivering when they call off school.

Yeah, if they really cared about this, they wouldn't cancel school.

Probably, but you know how this ends, right? 1/2 the class watching an afterschool special on an AV cart on a Saturday in May to check some arbitrary legislative box.

Also, please use smaller words. Public school filth over here.

Exactly, very little learning rakes place on those extra days in June

Don't look now, but the Weather Channel is saying 80% for snow on Thursday morning

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but to their credit, WSFCS opened 2 or 3 locations on the last couple of snow days that provided breakfast and lunch if students could get there.

OPM on 2 hour delay for Feds today cause of ice in DC. It's wicked out there. Foggy too.

And snow Thursday here as well. Over it!

OPM on 2 hour delay for Feds today cause of ice in DC. It's wicked out there. Foggy too.

And snow Thursday here as well. Over it!

And I spent all this time last night clearing the ice off the car, then my wife's school cancelled. Oh well at least I could sleep in a bit but I never take full advantage of a delay. I feel guilty for some reason.

i am driving to Snowshoe WV on Thursday night. I need it to snow on FRIDAY, not Thursday before I have to drive on those crazy roads up there.

So... suddenly we're expecting 1-3" in the dash tomorrow afternoon. It was over 70F today.

Yeah, the storm track (or at least the cold weather) has shifted south. Roanoke , VA now expecting 5-8", up from 2-4' a few hours ago.

Back