• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

CZNE5vxWQAEA3c3.png

Snow people: going to a wedding in pinehurst Saturday and driving back to Raleigh after. Do I need to be prepped to get a hotel in pinehurst in case of ice/snow/what-have-you?

From Snowpom Premium:

"TV weather people are being very conservative.

In the triangle there will either be a lot of snow and sleet OR some snow and sleet and a very bad ice storm. Be ready to lose power. Buy beer & liquor. Friday and Saturday will be memorable.

In the Triad, so much snow. Enjoy it.

Virginia/DC people: it was nice knowing you. Enjoy your 2-3 feet of snow."

It snowed about half an inch in DC tonight during rush hour and apparently the roads were like the goddamn apocalypse. People are still stuck out there according to the twitters. I get DC is not great when it comes to snow recovery, but this was truly nothing and perhaps the worst I've ever seen it. Doesn't bode well for the main event.

WBTV in Charlotte says not much snow in Charlotte, 1-3" in Lincoln County, 3-6" in the Hickory area, 6-10" in Lenoir, and 10+" in the high country.

There is such a tight gradient across the middle of NC that will determine all snow vs snow/sleet vs snow/sleet/freezing rain, with the NW parts more towards all snow and the triangle mixed. Pray that you see more sleet than freezing rain if you are in a zone that looks to mix.

Someone is getting .5-.75" of freezing rain from this. That would suck on its own, but add in 30-40mph wind gusts on Saturday and its I am Legend time.

It snowed about half an inch in DC tonight during rush hour and apparently the roads were like the goddamn apocalypse. People are still stuck out there according to the twitters. I get DC is not great when it comes to snow recovery, but this was truly nothing and perhaps the worst I've ever seen it. Doesn't bode well for the main event.
They didn't treat the roads, so a giant ice sheet of a road combined with everybody going out to the stores to stock up meant everybody was out. I believe it started before any snow fell and just carried itself through to whenever the snow started (at ~8pm I'm guessing?), which immediately melted then froze. Everything was fine up here and everything seems normal this morning.

Last edited:
They didn't treat the roads in DC? They treated the roads here on Tuesday night and we weren't supposed to have it as bad.

Supposedly our mayor didn't send salt trucks out until like 6 or 7 according to Twitter last night. Apparently the city doesn't have brine trucks. But that doesn't explain the other roads in the region.

They didn't treat the roads, so a giant ice sheet of a road combined with everybody going out to the stores to stock up meant everybody was out. I believe it started before any snow fell and just carried itself through to whenever the snow started (at ~8pm I'm guessing?), which immediately melted then froze. Everything was fine up here and everything seems normal this morning.

This. The roads were actually really, really bad last night. DC usually sucks when it comes to snow, but last night was not a "light dusting" like people are saying.

Back