• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Earlier today from raysweather.com for the high country and s/w Va...

It may be the most potent snow storm we have had since 1996 in terms of overall coverage and intensity. Snow develops after midnight tonight. Snow is heaviest Friday (with a brief period of wintry mix possible during the day). Snow and snow showers continue Saturday, ending Saturday night. Saturday will be very windy as well. For the NW NC mountains, most of the region will pick up 18"-24" but there may be a few spots with slightly less.

If your options are:

1) [Potentially] Being stranded in Lynchburg
2) Anything else

You go with 2 every damn time.

advantages for Lynchburg: big house (our apt. is tiny) makes cabin fever more palatable, good food, good booze, dogs to play with
disadvantages: with in-laws, it's Lynchburg

DC advantages: more to do if we venture out, can drink more
disadvantages: tiny apartment, potentially empty shelves for procuring more food/booze

Power service was pretty solid solid during snowmageddon. What are you basing this on?

Depends on where you are. I'm not all that worried about it for my neighborhood since all of the lines are underground. But there is a lot of the area that still has above ground lines. A lot of people in those areas are defs going to lose power for some period of time.

Depends on where you are. I'm not all that worried about it for my neighborhood since all of the lines are underground. But there is a lot of the area that still has above ground lines. A lot of people in those areas are defs going to lose power for some period of time.

Fingers crossed for Adams Morgan.

Fingers crossed for Adams Morgan.

I've lived in DC since 2009 and Adams Morgan since 2013 and I've never once lost power, and that includes snow and ice storms, Sandy, and another hurricane I can't remember that hit us more direct than Sandy.

I've lived in DC since 2009 and Adams Morgan since 2013 and I've never once lost power, and that includes snow and ice storms, Sandy, and another hurricane I can't remember that hit us more direct than Sandy.

The derecho a few years back? My place in northeast lost power for a few hours during that. I remember a few of us started walking to H St around midnight, saw a giant tree fall 100 feet in front of us, turned and ran home.

Upper NW/MontCo, Upper NE/PGCo and Anacostia are difficult areas. I don't recall ever hearing AdMo mentioned. I think most lines are underground there.

I lost power all the time when I lived in Glover Park. Was out for a few days during snowmageddon.

My power went out during one of last year's February events for almost a full day and it was quite literally one of the worst days of my entire fucking life trying to deal with 2 wee peanuts without power so please dear little baby Jeebus and Satan do not let that happen again.

I saw the first Indiana Jones at a movie theater in Lynchburg. It was at the little mall there. Don't know if it's still there or not.

The derecho a few years back? My place in northeast lost power for a few hours during that. I remember a few of us started walking to H St around midnight, saw a giant tree fall 100 feet in front of us, turned and ran home.

I was out of town for that...but like the microwave and stove clocks weren't off when I got back, so I dunno...

294489b3bf6f0830af231424f8078188.jpg

It would appear I was way wrong. Happens. LOL @ DC.

Back