• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

what's the timeline for this mess in Raleigh? my only hope is that shit isn't fucked by 415pm (and that we can drive to southern wake after). seeing later times for snow in DMV/Balt than I thought

I land at RDU tonight at 11:45. Am I going to be able to drive back to Winston tonight? If I wait until morning I may be royally fucked, right?

I land at RDU tonight at 11:45. Am I going to be able to drive back to Winston tonight? If I wait until morning I may be royally fucked, right?

I feel for you. I'm afraid the roads are going to be treacherous for days to come starting tonight. I would not want to drive to Winston tonight.

Starts overnight tonight and will be a mess by morning tomorrow in Raleigh.

wunderground has ice starting at 7am in Raleigh. I hope they are right and you are wrong... (moved flight up to 620am tomorrow :willynilly: )

wunderground has ice starting at 7am in Raleigh. I hope they are right and you are wrong... (moved flight up to 620am tomorrow :willynilly: )

If that happens, I may make it home tonight.

I originally was scheduled to fly home tomorrow evening, but got the airline to change me to today without any fees (asked for a weather waiver). Had I not done that I'd have ended up stuck in Phoenix for a few days.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I just checked the National Weather Service, which Numbers dislikes and feels is too conservative, and they have this for Winston:
Tonight
Freezing rain and sleet likely between 2am and 3am, then snow and sleet likely after 3am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 27. East wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of around an inch possible.
And this for Raleigh:
Tonight
A chance of freezing rain and sleet between 1am and 3am, then snow and sleet likely. Increasing clouds, with a low around 27. East wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

I definitely would get out of there as soon as possible though. You never know. Good luck.

12z GFS snow (ice and sleet removed)

acckucherasnowma.png

It'll be interesting to see if WSFC Schools goes ahead and cancels by this evening or waits to see if anything actually happens.

It'll be interesting to see if WSFC Schools goes ahead and cancels by this evening or waits to see if anything actually happens.

They'll cancel. Businesses are already announcing closures.

This is one of the few times that I think they should preemptively close schools. We're about 12 hours out now and all signs still point towards at least some significant winter weather. Call it early so you don't have to get everyone up at 6AM. I'm more curious about how long it will take to get schools opened back up next week. I'm thinking Wednesday at the earliest.

Who's the person who goes nuts when they cancel school and he's stuck with the kids?

Back