• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So has anyone changed their thinking on Gitmo

Both Nancy and George's quotes make me sad.

What is this bullshit about us not flying our flag at Gitmo anymore because it offends the prisoners?

W.T.F.

You worry about a flag while at the same time supporting the repeated committing of war crimes.

What an odd set of morals.

You worry about a flag while at the same time supporting the repeated committing of war crimes.

What an odd set of morals.

What war crimes? Just because you "think" crimes were committed, there is no proof. If there's proof, go out and try the criminals.

What war crimes? Just because you "think" crimes were committed, there is no proof. If there's proof, go out and try the criminals.

Waterboarding is a war crime. We have tried people, jailed and executed people for doing so.

W bragged about us waterboarding people.

The Guardian just last week did a piece on Guantanamo and recent wikileaks files pertaining to it. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/25/guantanamo-files-lift-lid-prison

sounds like there were both a number of people who should have never been there and quite a few released who should have been tried. I think it was a huge disaster, both practically and for our int'l perception.

Even if the capture of OBL was solely because of Guantanamo, I think it was the wrong thing to do.

Last edited:
Waterboarding is a war crime. We have tried people, jailed and executed people for doing so.

W bragged about us waterboarding people.

What about Rendition? Your boy Obama's doing it just like Bushie.

He's OK'd rendition. we don't know about any events.

But your dance step around Bush admitting and bragging about committing hundreds of war cromies of waterboarding...

I wonder if rj is aware that many of our own troops are waterboarded until they pass out as part of their training

He's OK'd rendition. we don't know about any events.

But your dance step around Bush admitting and bragging about committing hundreds of war cromies of waterboarding...

I didn't know Bush did the actual waterboarding.

What you are really saying is that you'd like to put the interrogators on trial and hang them...

I like how you're selectively leaving out rendition because your boy is heavily involved in the secret prison thing.

I support waterboarding, and look what it gave us...Bin fuckin' Laden.

I wonder if rj is aware that many of our own troops are waterboarded until they pass out as part of their training

It has NOTHING to do with using it against prisoners.

Waterboarding is clearly called a war crime by the Geneva Convention. Only extgremist,US RW, Bush apologists don't admit this.

But terrorists aren't POWs, they have no uniform, they are part of no country.

They are akin to spies. Guess what we could do w/ all of them? HANG THEM or shoot them.

I think dipping their little bearded faces into some H20 is much more humane than a bullet to the noggin', no?

The Taliban invited Al qa-ida to fiht with them in many cases. The taliban ran Afgahnaistan.

Plus people were picked up on the battlefireld were tortured as well.

By the way, you can shoot a spy, you can't torture him.

sorry that doesn't hold water.

Where in the Geneva Convention does it approve lopping off peoples heads on video? This is a different world.

Where in the Geneva Convention does it approve lopping off peoples heads on video? This is a different world.

That doesn't make what we did legal.

Just because someone kills twenty people doesn't make it legal for you to rob a bank.

McCain just gave a mini-news conference saying he has seen no information that the intle that led to OBL came from enhanced interrogation.

Huh? It makes it legal for me to go after the 10 people that helped plan the murder in addition to the 20 that executed the plan and prosecute them. If those 30 people are part of a general plot to exterminate everyone in my country and they employ subversive methods and are generally difficult to discern from the normal population, it then requires me to use extraordinary measures to protect those in my country. If the people engineering the plot to exterminate my country don't play by the rules, neither will I. Pretty simple.

That doesn't make what we did legal.

Just because someone kills twenty people doesn't make it legal for you to rob a bank.

Again, terrorists are not lawful combatants as defined by the third Geneva Convention in 1949. Thus, the rules dont apply to them like they do POWs.

The four criteria of being part of an armed forces are:

1. distict chain of command,
2. clear and recognizable uniform,
3. carries arms openly, and
4. conducts their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

Please explain to me how one person in Gitmo falls under this criteria.

Bottom line is Gitmo helped us kill enemy number one. I know liberals like RJ dont like that fact, but it's the truth. In order to kill this type of enemy, sometimes you need to pull your tampon out and go down into the dirt. This is war. You have to kill people. We dont need choir boys out there. I'm glad Obama and the CIA had the balls to do the right thing, and werent too busy worrying about offending the sensibilities of terrorists.

There are 2 different debates being shoved into one here. Closing Gitmo is something we should have done a long time ago. Its obviously used against us abroad and is politically toxic at home. That said, terrorists are not war criminals and are not subject to the protections of the Geneva Convention. Use the secret prisons in Europe after we close Gitmo. It looks good and it functionally changes nothing wrt security.

Huh? It makes it legal for me to go after the 10 people that helped plan the murder in addition to the 20 that executed the plan and prosecute them. If those 30 people are part of a general plot to exterminate everyone in my country and they employ subversive methods and are generally difficult to discern from the normal population, it then requires me to use extraordinary measures to protect those in my country. If the people engineering the plot to exterminate my country don't play by the rules, neither will I. Pretty simple.

Then you can't complain about the beheading of Danny Pearl or others.

If it's OK for us to act like barbarians, then it's OK for our enemies to do so and we can't feign outrage over it.

Did you seriously just compare waterboarding to beheading? You're an idiot.

Back