• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So has anyone changed their thinking on Gitmo

actually waterboarding (like most torutre) had been considered by the CIA. Mossad and other intel groups to be the worst way to get actionable intel as people will you what you want to know or something false just to get you to stop for a while.

Again, terrorists are not lawful combatants as defined by the third Geneva Convention in 1949. Thus, the rules dont apply to them like they do POWs.

The four criteria of being part of an armed forces are:

1. distict chain of command,
2. clear and recognizable uniform,
3. carries arms openly, and
4. conducts their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

Please explain to me how one person in Gitmo falls under this criteria.

Bottom line is Gitmo helped us kill enemy number one. I know liberals like RJ dont like that fact, but it's the truth. In order to kill this type of enemy, sometimes you need to pull your tampon out and go down into the dirt. This is war. You have to kill people. We dont need choir boys out there. I'm glad Obama and the CIA had the balls to do the right thing, and werent too busy worrying about offending the sensibilities of terrorists.

Don't even bother. Every JAG on here has explained this time and again. It's an act of faith for him. Fortunately, men stand ready to do violence on his behalf, so RJ can continue to live in emotional Candyland.

I'm against waterboarding, but for the capture of Bin Laden =
I'm against diet/exercise, but for being healthy.

Don't waste your time. There are plenty of grounded libs on here willing to have an honest debate.

There are members of the JAG core posting on here?

What the hell do they know about this stuff anyway?

The irony is thick here

I'd be more than happy to have the debate that non-state supported, unauthorized actors formed outside of a chain of command who attack unarmed civilians acting outside of uniform and intermingled with their own civilian population are unlawful combatants. I'm pretty sure that would go well for my side of the argument.

Wake Law has produced a lot of JAGs. Dean Taylor was a USAF General, and a room is named for him in AFJAGS at Maxwell. There were five in my class, and at least as many the following year.

actually waterboarding (like most torutre) had been considered by the CIA. Mossad and other intel groups to be the worst way to get actionable intel as people will you what you want to know or something false just to get you to stop for a while.

Link?

Link? how about this one?

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Top-Interrogation-Experts-by-George-Washington-090423-933.html

included in this is the Army Field Manual saying torture leads to unreliable information and worse.

Also the FBI, State Department, Air force and a retired Admiral who was the topo Judge Advocate General.

Only TV producers and Bushites believe it's useful.

There is no such thing as "the" top Judge Advocate General.

Facts. They're free, if you just take the time to investigate.

while we're at it can i get the copy of the international law reporter?

Don Rumsfeld is a lying, warmongering scumbag. Nothing he says can ever be believed.

Did RJ really just quote a European Court decision and make it applicable to US courts? Well, I guess that makes about as much sense as the liberal wing of the SCOTUS.

RJ, face it, neither you nor I know what affect "enhanced interrogation" methods had on obtaining the information. There are people from both sides with political axes to grind who said it was effective and wasn't effective. We will never know. Maybe they got the info out of these sources because of waterboarding or the threat of future waterboarding. Maybe they got it out of him because they gave him a candybar and a gyro. You don't know shit, I don't know shit, and Michael Isikoff doesn't know shit.

I'm inclined to fall back on a discussion I had with my dad (who was trained and operated as an intel officer when he wasn't doing his "regular job") a few years back when this stuff was hitting the fan. He said, quite bluntly, that we shouldn't be engaging in such activities because we weren't good at it. His reasoning was that we should leave it to the pros. No doubt the other thing involved in that line of thinking was that it keeps our hands clean as well while we nod and wink.

Now before you make a blanket statement like waterboarding or whatever just doesn't work, consider the other thing that was heavily criticized and is now overlooked in the debate, which was the longstanding policy of rendition. That policy of rendition is what got these guys in the so-called black ops prisons in the first place. Rendition sure as hell wasn't started by George W. Bush or even George H.W. Bush. It has been in place for ages. And why does rendition exist but for allowing a person to be handled and interrogated in a way that we otherwise deem uncivilized? Considering that the policy has been in place for ages and still is (unless Obama changed it), I have to think that it has been pretty successful over the years. The mere possibility of being interrogated in an "enhanced" manner is often enough to make people spill the beans. That is human nature, and that is a fact.

Does it change your analysis if he was unarmed as is now being reported?

Not if he hid on the third floor while his men on the first floor shot back. At that point, it's reasonable that things were in a combat perspective.

Oops! Those darn facts.

"Those darn facts" are that this intel did not come from torture sessions, and, in fact, came long afterwards, which pretty much shows that torture doesn't have much value, as the professionals have been saying all along.

Back