• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, how is Baylor doing it?

Their basketball program is straight cash homey. Not a doubt in my mind.

Yea, Baylor fans will tell you it's Scott Drew's "infectious personality" or "charisma" or some such BS, but pulling a top 5* recruit three years in a row is something else entirely. First Perry Jones, then Quincy Miller, next comes Isaiah Austin. It's.... suspicious.

The amount of meaningful transfers into their bball program lately also seems suspicious to me, but I don't really know how coaches go about recruiting transfers. Ekpe Udoh was one though, and this year they have a few with Heslip and Pierre Jackson (a stud D-II player, so I do wonder if he didn't qualify out of HS).

My cynical guess is that part of the success with all these meaningful transfers comes from communication with these players before they've transferred.

That is hilarious. He could coach circles around any coach we have had in the past 3 decades. To put him in the same breath as Dino is laughable.

What would possibly make you think that? The single Elite 8 via the easiest path in the history of the tournament (not fact checked, but they beat a #14, #11, and #10) or the 18-13 record last season?

Yea, Baylor's Elite 8 run was definitely a miracle path. They promptly lost to Duke, but to their credit it was a very good game.

One more reason I distrust Baylor (if it's not already obvious): LaceDarius Dunn. Compare his situation to Tony Woods', and Wake Forest comes out looking saintly. IIRC, Dunn hit his girlfriend and broke her jaw. He was subsequently suspended for some preseason games, and life went on. I think Baylor's explanation was that the girl didn't press charges, which was technically true, but also suspicious.

What would possibly make you think that? The single Elite 8 via the easiest path in the history of the tournament (not fact checked, but they beat a #14, #11, and #10) or the 18-13 record last season?

The guy had to come in and clean up a program that had a major scandal and somehow has the same amount of elite 8s as any of our coaches when it was more than a 25 team field. To say he coaches no defense is also laughable considering they are 29th in the country of ppg against.

That is hilarious. He could coach circles around any coach we have had in the past 3 decades. To put him in the same breath as Dino is laughable.

You have WAY to high an opinion of Scott Drew. The connections he and the program have to several prominent AAU handlers and coaches is pretty strange. Doubt they have started to funnel their players to Baylor just because Scott Drew is a great guy all the rich BB tradition Baylor has....

+1.

And no bzzz. Somebody had to say it.

I hate to say it, but if we were offering recruits the money that Baylor most likely is (in men's basketball, at least), then Bzz or no Bzz, we'd be raking in 5-stars left and right.

Every single Baylor player's recruitment is sketchy. And, please spare me the "but the Christian players love a big Baptist university" bulls**t. I'd rather snort wasabi than spend 4-years in Waco...

Last edited:
You have WAY to high an opinion of Scott Drew. The connections he and the program have to several prominent AAU handlers and coaches is pretty strange. Doubt they have started to funnel their players to Baylor just because Scott Drew is a great guy all the rich BB tradition Baylor has....

+1 +1 +1

The John Wall recruitment was particularly telling (or Quincy Miller/Deuce Bello)... When your #1 competitor on the recruiting market is Kentucky and only Kentucky, there's probably something fishy going on. Check scout or rivals if you don't believe me, but Baylor seems up to some pretty extra-legal recruiting tactics.

Yea, Baylor's Elite 8 run was definitely a miracle path. They promptly lost to Duke, but to their credit it was a very good game.

One more reason I distrust Baylor (if it's not already obvious): LaceDarius Dunn. Compare his situation to Tony Woods', and Wake Forest comes out looking saintly. IIRC, Dunn hit his girlfriend and broke her jaw. He was subsequently suspended for some preseason games, and life went on. I think Baylor's explanation was that the girl didn't press charges, which was technically true, but also suspicious.

That being said, when the girlfriend was interviewed after the fact, it sounded a lot like the backtracking in the damage control interview with Tony's girlfriend, complete with parental corroboration. Not to take sides or anything, but just saying...

The guy had to come in and clean up a program that had a major scandal and somehow has the same amount of elite 8s as any of our coaches when it was more than a 25 team field. To say he coaches no defense is also laughable considering they are 29th in the country of ppg against.

You're attacking a straw man. Nobody is questioning the quality of the play. It's more the way they get their players and the cleanliness of their program.

...and yes, that matters. Ask Massachusetts or Memphis how they feel about those Final Fours.

I don't know anymore facts than anybody else here, but this thread is typical LOWF.

When a similar school (and yes, Baylor is way more similar than most schools) has success, there are always the same responses:

1. They're obviously cheating.
2. Wake isn't at that level because we're above cheating.

I'll also add that Baylor as well as Arkansas, and Pitt aren't mad they didn't get our coaches when they wanted them. They've all done quite well for themselves since.

5baylor1_display_image_display_image.jpg

Well played sir

I don't know anymore facts than anybody else here, but this thread is typical LOWF.

When a similar school (and yes, Baylor is way more similar than most schools) has success, there are always the same responses:

1. They're obviously cheating.
2. Wake isn't at that level because we're above cheating.

I'll also add that Baylor as well as Arkansas, and Pitt aren't mad they didn't get our coaches when they wanted them. They've all done quite well for themselves since.

Ha, I'd say that this kind of criticism would be better classified as LOUK than LOWF, but you'll think what you want.

I don't know if Wake deals with handlers often, but I was always a tad skeptical about the ATT class... From what I understand, there's almost always some sort of middle man in high-major Division I basketball recruiting and violations are determined on a "how egregious was the violation"-scale (like, say, Coach K attempting to recruit Polythress under-the-radar, outside-of-the-allowed-contact window).

In the case of John Wall, it was very obvious that he was going to go to the team that "delivered." That it came down between Baylor and UK is particularly damning, especially given what we know about UK at this point.*

Like I said before, I'm only talking about men's basketball, but I'd argue, Ph, that they're a) probably cheating and b) that, while I haven't heard of it happening, Wake isn't above "cheating" in the sense that everybody does it.**

* Whattup, NC State! (Assuming they hold on to Graham and Jefferson commits, I stand by my conspiracy theory)

**Our 2012 class seems clean and I'm not just speaking as a homer. Rountree, Miller-McIntyre, and Washington were signed extremely early in their recruitment. Moto's coach is a Wake-alum. Cavanaugh and Thomas could be less clean, but let's face it, we were among the best options, if not the best option, on their respective lists.

Last edited:
On paper, our 2012 class isn't good enough that anyone would suspect us of cheating. It's a typical large class for Wake on par with the other large classes we've had post-Duncan.

I do remember seeing speculation out there from other schools about ATT just like people are speculating here about Baylor.

Ha, I'd say that this kind of criticism would be better classified as LOUK than LOWF, but you'll think what you want.

I don't know if Wake deals with handlers often, but I was always a tad skeptical about the ATT class... From what I understand, there's almost always some sort of middle man in high-major Division I basketball recruiting and violations are determined on a "how egregious was the violation"-scale (like, say, Coach K attempting to recruit Polythress under-the-radar, outside-of-the-allowed-contact window).

In the case of John Wall, it was very obvious that he was going to go to the team that "delivered." That it came down between Baylor and UK is particularly damning, especially given what we know about UK at this point.*

Like I said before, I'm only talking about men's basketball, but I'd argue, Ph, that they're a) probably cheating and b) that, while I haven't heard of it happening, Wake isn't above "cheating" in the sense that everybody does it.**

* Whattup, NC State! (Assuming they hold on to Graham and Jefferson commits, I stand by my conspiracy theory)

**Our 2012 class seems clean and I'm not just speaking as a homer. Rountree, Miller-McIntyre, and Washington were signed extremely early in their recruitment. Moto's coach is a Wake-alum. Cavanaugh and Thomas could be less clean, but let's face it, we were among the best options, if not the best option, on their respective lists.

I'm not doubting but what is out there that makes the Wall recruiting so sketchy compared to others? I'm ignorant on the subject

Back