• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, how is Baylor doing it?

I do remember seeing speculation out there from other schools about ATT just like people are speculating here about Baylor.

I'm sure that BabyDeac could provide some insights, but I'm inclined to believe said speculation for the same reasons that I believe speculation surrounding schools like Baylor. Such recruiting success is simply an anomaly that cannot be explained via any discernible metric, explanation, or reason.

There will always be speculation by people when a school that isn't a traditional power brings in stud's like Baylor is and like WF did in 2008. Unfortunately the way CBB is now a days it's extremely difficult to recruit kids in a non shady way. The people surrounding them are looking at them as a meal ticket for themselves. And here's a link talking about some of the shady stuff going on at Baylor from ESPN. The part about Clifton is the really only shady stuff imo. Take it for whatever you think about it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714

There will always be speculation by people when a school that isn't a traditional power brings in stud's like Baylor is and like WF did in 2008. Unfortunately the way CBB is now a days it's extremely difficult to recruit kids in a non shady way. The people surrounding them are looking at them as a meal ticket for themselves. And here's a link talking about some of the shady stuff going on at Baylor from ESPN. The part about Clifton is the really only shady stuff imo. Take it for whatever you think about it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714

I mean, it's legitimately shady to hire AAU coaches, family, and prominent local high school coaches in talent-rich areas to be affiliated-staff. It was when Memphis hired Milt Wagner. It was when KSU (and now UMD) hired Dalonte Hill. And, it especially is in the case of Clifton/Baylor given that Baylor, almost immediately after, locked up the recruitment of Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello (and to a lesser extent, LJ Rose).

IMO, the only way to go about this in an unshady way, is to do what Wagner did and just hire the prominent HS-basketball coach as a coach. None of this "director of basketball operations/player personnel, student athlete advisor" nonsense.

You're so, so naive, and frankly just plain ignoring reality, if you think hiring a high school or AAU coach for their players is shady or uncommon. Not only has it happened a lot recently, it has always been going on

You're so, so naive, and frankly just plain ignoring reality, if you think hiring a high school or AAU coach for their players is shady or uncommon. Not only has it happened a lot recently, it has always been going on

It's ubiquitous, but it's shady. If you asked Mark Emmert whether or not he approved of the practice, then he'd say it's shady. I personally think all recruiting rules are a joke, but that doesn't mean what's going on in Waco is any less shady. It's not just hirings, but it's also fairly accepted practices of cash payouts and illegal benefits. I forget where the article is, but I know Telep published something that said as much on Insider a few months ago that articulated it far better than I can.

In the case of Baylor, such a hiring was an attempt to buy John Wall's recruitment, just as Dalonte Hill's hiring secured Mike Beasley for KSU.

You don't know the real college recruiting if you think hiring guys is shady, sorry. That's nothing

You don't know the real college recruiting if you think hiring guys is shady, sorry. That's nothing

Well, find me that Telep article, and we're in business. Unfortunately, I don't have Insider anymore to put it down. I've been around HS and college basketball in an unofficial capacity for nearly 10 years, so it's not like I don't know what's going on, but very rarely do you ever see that come to light. I believe that the UKs and Baylors of the world are pay-for-play rackets, but until it comes to light (or is substantiated in print), then it's mere speculation. We do, however, see the more obvious fruits of shady recruiting in these hires. But, let's just put it this way: agents and runners don't stake out AAU events because they have nowhere else to be...

Last edited:
PH,

As someone who grew up in Texas, I can say TexasDeac has it right. It is not LOWF to say Baylor is cheating, 90% of the state including half of Baylor think they are cheating in BB.

Understand that Waco is known for cults and BB murders. Then visit Waco, its a dump. And I mean a DUMP.

Then try to tell me someone can actually convince 5* players to come to Waco to play BB.

I also have a buddy who used to work for the Mens BB team at Baylor. He admitted their recruiting is shady, but said everyone else does it.

At that point one can say:

A) It isnt shady if everyone does it

B) Everyone does it and its still shady

But you cannot say Baylor cleanly recruited their recent classes

Well, find me that Telep article, and we're in business. Unfortunately, I don't have Insider anymore to put it down. I've been around HS and college basketball in an unofficial capacity for nearly 10 years, so it's not like I don't know what's going on, but very rarely do you ever see that come to light. I believe that the UKs and Baylors of the world are pay-for-play rackets, but until it comes to light (or is substantiated in print), then it's mere speculation. We do, however, see the more obvious fruits of shady recruiting in these hires. But, let's just put it this way: agents and runners don't stake out AAU events because they have nowhere else to be...

You can add St. Johns to that list.

Once considered the southwestern twin to Wake, Baylor is top 10 in football with the Heisman trophy winner, top 10 in both men's and women's basketball with arguably the best women's bb player in the nation. How is a comparable school achieving such success? Not very long ago their men's basketball program was as good as dead.

forgive me if this subject has been previously discussed.

I've wondered the same thing, and assumed that the cause would percolate to the surface sometime in the next several years. However, Stanford did this several years ago, and I don't think they were dirty.

RG III is a once in a lifetime player that Baylor lucked into.

Basketball, they have a decent coach. Whereas Wake doesn't have a once in a lifetime football player and has a horrible head basketball coach.

RG III is a once in a lifetime player that Baylor lucked into.

Basketball, they have a decent coach. Whereas Wake doesn't have a once in a lifetime football player and has a horrible head basketball coach.

You are downplaying the situation significantly.

As previously stated, RGIII was a very legit and highly touted prospect. Granted, it's near impossible to foresee a Heisman trophy from a high school kid, but everyone knew the talent was there.

And a "decent" basketball coach doesn't simply get the recruits he's gotten. I'm not going to accuse Drew or the program of anything, but it is simply not the effect of a "decent" coach.

They have landed a couple top rated basketball recruiting classes, and have some of the top players in the country coming in next year. They are def. moving in a good direction.

You are downplaying the situation significantly.

As previously stated, RGIII was a very legit and highly touted prospect. Granted, it's near impossible to foresee a Heisman trophy from a high school kid, but everyone knew the talent was there.

And a "decent" basketball coach doesn't simply get the recruits he's gotten. I'm not going to accuse Drew or the program of anything, but it is simply not the effect of a "decent" coach.

Yeah, he's a great coach/recruiter?

Why would have anyone come to Wake Forest after the 1980s, besides maybe getting a shot in the ACC?

It was because Dave Odom was a solid coach back then who recruited and worked hard at recruitment.

I def would NOT trade football programs w/ Baylor. After RG III, they are done-zo.

Yeah, he's a great coach/recruiter?

Why would have anyone come to Wake Forest after the 1980s, besides maybe getting a shot in the ACC?

It was because Dave Odom was a solid coach back then who recruited and worked hard at recruitment.

I def would NOT trade football programs w/ Baylor. After RG III, they are done-zo.

How do you know? Ever hear of a university that uses the name of a former player to bring in future players?

Pretty true. Baylor isn't a particularly good school. Great medical school though, I imagine that's the source of lots of their funds.

Baylor is a pretty damn good school.

They also have had a good run on bringing some outstanding athletes into their programs. Couple this with good coaches and you have a good recipe for success.

Do not get all the negativity on this thread. I wish we were having their current run.

Baylor will definitely try to capitalize on their recent success to get top recruits. Combine that with the huge monetary backing for the program and the potential developments there.

Plus, Baylor has some legit qualities to sell for the Texas guys not choosing UT.

Back