• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, how is Baylor doing it?

Remember when everyone was sure Billy Donovan was cheating at Florida? Yup, still waiting for the scandal to break.

This is LOWF at its finest.

Baylor will definitely try to capitalize on their recent success to get top recruits. Combine that with the huge monetary backing for the program and the potential developments there.

Plus, Baylor has some legit qualities to sell for the Texas guys not choosing UT.

I'm skeptical here. Baylor can say they do a lot of things differently, but in my mind just about everything they have/do is going to be inferior to the boys down the road in Austin. And, for that matter, College Station.

I'm skeptical here. Baylor can say they do a lot of things differently, but in my mind just about everything they have/do is going to be inferior to the boys down the road in Austin. And, for that matter, College Station.

They will always be behind UT. However, I think they can make legitimate gains against A&M.

Wonder if eventually Texas will go the way of Florida where the talent is being spread far more than historically.

RG3 was a legit prospect but I'm pretty sure DKAD has it right that only Briles wanted to give him a shot at QB. Most other programs wanted him at WR I think.

5baylor1_display_image_display_image.jpg

Why hasn't this been quoted more?

I don't have a problem with the occasional hiring of player's AAU coach, as that probably hurts their team overall since that's one less guy to legitimately teach the team and recruit for the future. Unless it's for multiple recruits, then it's just a smart business decision.

I have a lot bigger problem with Drew as a coach. Look at the talent he has brought in over the last 5 years and tell me they shouldn't be FAR more productive. If you watch enough Baylor basketball, it doesn't take long to see an incredibly undisciplined team every single season. The difference this season might just be that Perry Jones is THE most talented player in college basketball. He should dominate despite Drew.

And then there's the matter of Drew being caught lying about other schools when he has negatively recruited against them. He's easily the least liked/respected coach in the Big XII for a reason.

I don't have a problem with the occasional hiring of player's AAU coach, as that probably hurts their team overall since that's one less guy to legitimately teach the team and recruit for the future. Unless it's for multiple recruits, then it's just a smart business decision.

I have a lot bigger problem with Drew as a coach. Look at the talent he has brought in over the last 5 years and tell me they shouldn't be FAR more productive. If you watch enough Baylor basketball, it doesn't take long to see an incredibly undisciplined team every single season. The difference this season might just be that Perry Jones is THE most talented player in college basketball. He should dominate despite Drew.

And then there's the matter of Drew being caught lying about other schools when he has negatively recruited against them. He's easily the least liked/respected coach in the Big XII for a reason.

Yea, agree with all of this. Not that it makes Drew a cheater, but there's a consensus in Big 12 areas that he's an asshole.

Baylor should absolutely perform better than they do. With Acy (who, actually, was dominated by Woods/Chase/Aminu back when we played them), Jones, and Miller, they have one of the three best frontcourts in college basketball right now. Problem is, Drew has never been much of an X's and O's guy, and when they're not scoring in transition they struggle to get the ball in the basket. Another huge problem for them has been lack of good guard play in recent years.

The consensus is that K is an asshole, too. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't take him if he wanted to coach at Wake.

The consensus is that K is an asshole, too. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't take him if he wanted to coach at Wake.

K is considered an asshole in a different way and I don't think opposing coaches hate him like the fans do.

It's one thing if you get one group of players in one sport. It's another if all revenue producing programs takeoff at once.

Hiring an scumbag AAU coach shows your program has no boundaries or fear of being caught.

Drew is much more like Calipari who leaves programs in shambles and probation every time he leaves than K.

I was wondering this exact thing when Baylor signed the kid from High Point. What is the draw?

How do you know? Ever hear of a university that uses the name of a former player to bring in future players?

Because they sucked for 3 of RG III's 4 years and they are BAYLOR.

It's not LOWF to point out that Scott Drew is possibly the most despised coach by his peers in the entire country and that anyone who follows the AAU scene even a little bit knows the reputation that Baylor has built under him as being one of the shadiest programs in the country.

Football is a different story - Briles is a very good coach and nobody else wanted to take a chance on RGIII as a QB. He also was sold on the opportunity to run track with Baylor's traditionally very good program (which he only did for one season). Worked out brilliantly for them, I would say.

Because they sucked for 3 of RG III's 4 years and they are BAYLOR.

Right. But now RGIII is awesome, and can convince others to go there. My only point is you can't tell if a team is done when one of their best players ever is finishing up his career.

Right. But now RGIII is awesome, and can convince others to go there. My only point is you can't tell if a team is done when one of their best players ever is finishing up his career.

How different is the current Baylor situation than the WF situation with Curry/Phonz? Besides being in TX I don't see much of a difference. Having Curry didn't suddenly make 5* LB's line up to come to WF. Just because you have one amazing, nationally known player doesn't mean you will suddenly become Bama lite.

How different is the current Baylor situation than the WF situation with Curry/Phonz? Besides being in TX I don't see much of a difference. Having Curry didn't suddenly make 5* LB's line up to come to WF. Just because you have one amazing, nationally known player doesn't mean you will suddenly become Bama lite.

That's a pretty massive difference.

Just to hop on what Vad said, I have a lot of respect for the current state of Baylor football. Briles was a very well respected high school coach and was great at Houston before moving on to Baylor. I have to think his name is gold in Texas HS circles. He was really a fantastic hire for them.

They are in TX and winning the Heisman is way bigger than what Phonz and Curry did.

It's not LOWF to point out that Scott Drew is possibly the most despised coach by his peers in the entire country and that anyone who follows the AAU scene even a little bit knows the reputation that Baylor has built under him as being one of the shadiest programs in the country.

Football is a different story - Briles is a very good coach and nobody else wanted to take a chance on RGIII as a QB. He also was sold on the opportunity to run track with Baylor's traditionally very good program (which he only did for one season). Worked out brilliantly for them, I would say.

Shades of Billy Donovan, 10+ years later. That one turned out to be little more than sour grapes by those who he out-recruited.

Back