• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

Of course coaches should be allowed to text, but there are better ways to achieve what Muse was trying to achieve. He can talk to the girl at practice or if he has concerns about her then get her out of class for a few minutes and talk in the hall way. He can tell her to come see him before or after school or between classes even. It happens all the time. As has been said, the issue here is not the texting, its the response from Muse.

On your point of kids can get any teacher fired if they want; what proof do you have for that? Of all the teachers from Forsyth Co that have been fired for misconduct with students, how many have been proven innocent of their crimes? It is FACT, so I assume you have some proof for it.

If a few disgruntled students make up a story of sexual misconduct and gets the teacher fired (even though nothing was proven)... do you think that teacher can land another job!?...NO!
Students can straight up ruin teachers if they wanted to..it is ridiculous!

What Muse said was really wrong but teenagers and their parents are such pussies these days...

The dad could have taken his son and talked to Muse in person and settled it. Instead, its recorded, video taped, posted on youtube and reported to the media.

God, social media is Idiocracy incarnate.

Our country is raising a bunch of victims

Gotta disagree with you. If Muse was that angry he should have been the adult, went to the principal with the kid and his parents and settled it. I don't think the kid is innocent, clearly he recorded because he suspected something was going to happen. But it's up to Muse, the teacher, to be the adult in this situation.

I think a lot of Coach Muse and I think he's better then this situation reflects. But for the love of God I can't figure out why in a thousand years he thought this was the appropiate response to this situation. I have a hard time believing there's no policy in place on how to handle these situations and I don't think it dictates threatening the kid and asking him "So are you a homosexual?"

If a few disgruntled students make up a story of sexual misconduct and gets the teacher fired (even though nothing was proven)... do you think that teacher can land another job!?...NO!
Students can straight up ruin teachers if they wanted to..it is ridiculous!

Again, do you have proof that any teacher had been falsely accused and had their life ruined by the lies of a few disgruntled students?

What Muse said was really wrong but teenagers and their parents are such pussies these days...

The dad could have taken his son and talked to Muse in person and settled it. Instead, its recorded, video taped, posted on youtube and reported to the media.

I pretty much agree with this, but Muse is no fool. He's been around the high school scene a long time and he knows what the deal is regarding coaches and young girls.

Obviously, ANYTHING can get blown out of proportion, especially when dealing with teenagers. A congratulatory hug from a coach to a player can become the picture of a passionate embrace between a old man and a young girl in a nanosecond...and be posted on twitter, fb, and texted to 500 other teens in a matter of minutes. He knows better. I read that the kid he threatened was upset because the softball player was kids ex-gf and he was jealous of the volume of texts/communication between the coach and player. Of course he's going to say it's weird, he's 16 years old. And a large amount of texts between a 50 year old man and a 16 year old girl IS weird...gossip is what kids do. It comes with the territory and Coach Muse knows it.

And to be quite honest, I would not be comfortable with him texting my daughter, no matter what the circumstance, and would not allow it.

I have to believe that there were a number of avenues that could have been followed to rectify this situation other than going public. If that had been my child I would have been irate and I would have addressed it emphatically; but I would not have exposed Muse's wife and children to this humiliation.

Ironic isn't it: to avenge wrong inflicted upon a child, parents choose a path which inevitably inflicts injury upon another person's children.

The recording was from Jan 19th or 20th but didn't it just now come out? It was released because Muse continued to teach without any visible repercussions. Going to the administration didn't seem to have the desired effect.

I have to believe that there were a number of avenues that could have been followed to rectify this situation other than going public. If that had been my child I would have been irate and I would have addressed it emphatically; but I would not have exposed Muse's wife and children to this humiliation.

Ironic isn't it: to avenge wrong inflicted upon a child, parents choose a path which inevitably inflicts injury upon another person's children.

From the article:

"Dillon's parents said they played the recording for Gainey at the school on Jan. 20.

"She listened to about 10 minutes of it, and she said, 'Oh my, that's enough. Can I have a copy of that?' " Marsha Tschrnko said. She said Gainey came to their home Jan. 23 and picked up three copies of the recording.

The Tschrnkos said they last spoke with Gainey on Jan. 25, when she told them the Kernersville Police Department reviewed the recording, found nothing criminal and closed the case.

"Then she said the school board, they're not sure they're going to do anything or not,'" Marsha Tschrnko said. She said Gainey told them she was not allowed to discuss personnel actions.

Since then, the Tschrnkos said, they have heard nothing."

Muse is a freaking teacher. He vulgarly chewed out a student for merely mentioning to his friends, privately, that he found it weird that a older male teacher was sending a high volume of text messages to a teenage girl. I'd hold off that lawsuit, jackass, because the counterclaims are what Muse should really worry about. He had zero rights violated. And since Muse had a cop standing right next to him for intimidation during the improper diatribe, during school hours, he could be looking at abuse of position-type charges. This wasn't adults over beers. It was two school employees harassing a student who had done nothing they had a right to harass him about. Last I checked, calling a teacher's actions "weird" was not against any rules, any certainly not the law. But a teacher ripping a student a new one, with a cop present, at school, in a setting where the kid can't walk away, all because he didn't like being called "weird," might very well have been against the law.

And it is freaking weird! Don't send a bunch of texts to teenage girls, sketch ball. But if you do, you have no right to ream out anyone who notices and comments on your behavior, even if you can arrange to bully them later. For it to be okay for Muse to have laid into this kid, he had to first have had a right. He didn't, which makes his garbage rant twice as bad.

Suspension but no firing, but only if he can explain that awful bit about how he can get of-age girls if he wanted to.

Exactly.

I'll let Donald Ross have Muse as a client in this lawsuit. I'll take the kid. I'm pretty sure my client would be the one getting paid at the end of the day.

Why would anyone be getting paid for anything in this case? Should the kid be given money because he got yelled at and cursed out by a teacher? The sad part is Les and Donald Ross would be making a shit ton of money to take this to the court. While one party MIGHT get paid (although it's pretty ridiculous unless Muse gets fired and a jury found the student responsible for getting him fired after slandering him which doesn't appear to be the case here) the people who would make money are you two money-grubbing whores.

This is just the pussification of America.

This is another classic example of middle age people not understanding the power of new technology.

Why would anyone be getting paid for anything in this case? Should the kid be given money because he got yelled at and cursed out by a teacher? The sad part is Les and Donald Ross would be making a shit ton of money to take this to the court. While one party MIGHT get paid (although it's pretty ridiculous unless Muse gets fired and a jury found the student responsible for getting him fired after slandering him which doesn't appear to be the case here) the people who would make money are you two money-grubbing whores.

This is just the pussification of America.

I've never seen anyone get so angry over a hypothetical situation that will clearly never happen.

Please allow me to add that a portion of the money I earn everyday as a "whore" is donated to the Deacon Club (and on campus arena fund)!

My memory is hazy on this but I seem to recall you once threatening to sue a vendor at a hamburger stand down in Atlanta for something.

You've definitely threatened to sue me before. :D

He threatened to sue everybody at a bar in Boston on behalf of another DC member who had threatened the bouncer. Guess they didn't know who they were messing with.

No doubt this is terrible for Muse's family. But it's a tough call. The kid's parents weren't reassured by the school's and others' lack of response.

And you could argue that exposing this publicly -- after Muse himself spoke like that in a public place, in front of law enforcement -- might operate to protect kids other than Muse's own from similar treatment, and prevent Muse himself from making even bigger mistakes.

The irony is when people think the kid's family should have more regard for Muse's children than the man himself. A man who cares about his own children doesn't treat someone else's this way.

One of these deals with a police officer accusing a teacher of substance abuse and involved no students. Another just reports that 1 in 7 believe they are falsley accused, not that they actually were. A quick google search will turn up many more who are convicted of the crimes they are accused of.

Sure, some are falsely accused, but to act like students are perpetrating these conspiracies all over the country is nothing more than paranoia. There are millions of students in school every day and thousands of teachers. Cases of abuse are statistically low, I would believe, and cases of false accusations are even lower statistically.

None of this of course has to do with Muse, since the boy never accused him of that.

Back