• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

A kid get's cussed out in school by a teacher in front of other staff that do nothing to stop it including a school resource officer who contributes to the problem and we're rationalizing it. The school does little to nothing and the parents of the boy "Should have taken into account Muse's family and children."

I am not saying kids don't false make allegations but my guess is had the kid not recorded the conversation, everyone would be saying the kid is being untruthful. I am all for a presumption of innocent but we seemed to have gone to the other extreme in our society where we now blame the victim.

Muse made a horrible decision to talk to a student in that manner and the other teachers and school resource officer did nothing to help the situation. I am not saying he should be fired but I hope we're not going too far in the other direction by searching for justification to Muse's poor decision.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that the Security Guard had also been texting the girl. Why on earth would he have any reason to text her?

I wasn't aware that the Security Guard had also been texting the girl. Why on earth would he have any reason to text her?

I'm listening to the full thing now on the Journal and the officer comes off as a Barney Fife character. The tone of Muse's voice isn't as harsh as I read it but this is still an odd conversation.

This thread is useless without pics.

While I recognize the recurring joke reference, it does have some potential relevance here. One might assume that the girl in question was fairly attractive, given Muse's strong reaction. If the girl was not, the reaction probably wouldnt have been as severe.

While I recognize the recurring joke reference, it does have some potential relevance here. One might assume that the girl in question was fairly attractive, given Muse's strong reaction. If the girl was not, the reaction probably wouldnt have been as severe.

Based on the rest of that conversation, if the girl wasn't hot, I'm pretty sure Muse would have mentioned it. "Why woud I go after her when I could get much hotter [vagina]? Oh yeah, and I'm married."

Based on the rest of that conversation, if the girl wasn't hot, I'm pretty sure Muse would have mentioned it. "Why woud I go after her when I could get much hotter [vagina]? Oh yeah, and I'm married."

Haha most likely. I also don't really know that what she looks like is relevant. Someone else posted that it was the kid's ex-gf.

The language he used with a student was completely inappropriate.

The texting is a grey area. If you're just a coach you might not see your players on an everyday basis when your sport isn't in season. So texting really is the best way to check in on people and make sure they're doing the classwork and getting the grades to play during the spring. I'm sure they have call lists etc etc.

I'm not automatically going to assume that Coach Muse was doing anything wrong just because he got angry when a student was trying to say his texting of a female student was inappropriate. His choice of language was incredibly poor... and definitely inappropriate... but I'm not sure his texting was. I bet they've investigated the texts and they came up clean. I bet this student knew Muse would fly off the handle / swear / go nuts which is why he decided to record.

The texting is a grey area. If you're just a coach you might not see your players on an everyday basis when your sport isn't in season. So texting really is the best way to check in on people and make sure they're doing the classwork and getting the grades to play during the spring. I'm sure they have call lists etc etc.

Try having a daughter or two and calling texting "grey." The best way to check in and monitor is to do it with the student's teachers AND parents before anything else. There's simply too much room for misconception otherwise.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13428303/detail.html

he may still have a job but it has damaged his reputation for life

He does still have a job in the county. How do you know his reputation is damaged for life? Do you know him? If so I'll trust your opinion. If I was a parent (I will be soon anyway) and did not trust my child's teacher, I would have my child moved to another class. Probably not the case with this teacher.

I have no problem with the texting, AS LONG as the coach has no problem with anyone calling his texting into question, and him being able to defend anything he has texted the girls on his team. In fact if I were a girl's coach (which I would NEVER be) I would probably have my text log printed out and sent to my AD each month, and keep a copy for myself in case anyone questioned me.

The reality is that texting is an accepted form of communication, but if you are coaching young girl's and are an adult male, then you better make sure everything is above board, and you better be ready to explain ANY questions someone might have in a respectful manner.

Muse should be fired in my opinion, not for the texting, but for how he handled the student questioning his texting. If he was doing everything above board, then he should have asked the kid to call his parents and to set up a meeting with him so that he could explain any questions the kid might have. PRetty simple solution, that is unless there is a text out there that Muse doesn't want to have to defend.

And thanks for the anonymous neg rep, awesome poster whoever you are.

Try having a daughter or two and calling texting "grey." The best way to check in and monitor is to do it with the student's teachers AND parents before anything else. There's simply too much room for misconception otherwise.

Agreed now that I think more about it. But I can envision a scenario where it is harmless. But yeah, just get in touch with the parent and teacher, especially since we're talking about a minor.

I would certainly run the idea about texting the daughters through the parents first and ask their permission. You could even copy them on any text to make it more transparent. Plain and simple there are ways to handle texting, and there are ways to mishandle it. Muse clearly mishandled it, and snowballed his screwup by blowing up on a kid who seemed to express at some level genuine concern.

He does still have a job in the county. How do you know his reputation is damaged for life? Do you know him? If so I'll trust your opinion. If I was a parent (I will be soon anyway) and did not trust my child's teacher, I would have my child moved to another class. Probably not the case with this teacher.

alright....this is going nowhere......you have your mind up so go bait somewhere else.

I have no problem with the texting, AS LONG as the coach has no problem with anyone calling his texting into question, and him being able to defend anything he has texted the girls on his team. In fact if I were a girl's coach (which I would NEVER be) I would probably have my text log printed out and sent to my AD each month, and keep a copy for myself in case anyone questioned me.

The reality is that texting is an accepted form of communication, but if you are coaching young girl's and are an adult male, then you better make sure everything is above board, and you better be ready to explain ANY questions someone might have in a respectful manner.

Muse should be fired in my opinion, not for the texting, but for how he handled the student questioning his texting. If he was doing everything above board, then he should have asked the kid to call his parents and to set up a meeting with him so that he could explain any questions the kid might have. PRetty simple solution, that is unless there is a text out there that Muse doesn't want to have to defend.

Agree with everything you said being a good idea.

Not sure about the bolded part. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but personally not sure he should be fired (mostly just typing out different thoughts)

He handled it wrong clearly, but I think you have to consider the precedent that is set by firing him over this. Would a suspension be a better deterrent? And do you institute rules in the future that further limit teacher-student communication? Or do you implement some educational training for teachers to better handle these situations. I do think there needs to be more information given to teachers about texting and unfortunately more guidelines. Out right banning is not the way to go, but the county probably needs to be more clear on what is allowed.

alright....this is going nowhere......you have your mind up so go bait somewhere else.

lol wut? bait? Is it going no where because I don't agree with you?

You posted something that has little connection with the Muse case. Seems you didn't actually read the article or listen to the tape, but the boy never accused Muse of anything.

Back