• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

Here's the thing about any teacher, cop, or other person whose profession requires them to serve in any form of custodial role, having the cell number of anyone in their custody: if you have that number and are in the habit of calling or texting that person, especially a juvenile, if you lose track of your phone or leave it open to someone to access, you can EASILY be sabotaged.

I have had this happen to me and if not for inter-office security cameras would've lost a job over it. One of my employees sent a very inappropriate email to a co-worker using my email account after I got up to take a piss. Cameras proved my innocence but the risk is very real.

If another student grabs a teacher's phone and sends a text, how do you prove it wasn't you? For quite a few centuries teachers and students managed to interact without texting or cell numbers. The risk isn't worth it.

People keep saying the kid never accused Muse of anything... How do we know this? It may be correct but not just because the kid said so - remember, he knew he was being recorded. Maybe Muse went off so badly because he had heard through the grapevine that the kid's accusations went much further than it being 'weird'. Muse kept mentioning that the kid said something was "going to go down" between Muse and the girl?

People keep saying the kid never accused Muse of anything... How do we know this? It may be correct but not just because the kid said so - remember, he knew he was being recorded. Maybe Muse went off so badly because he had heard through the grapevine that the kid's accusations went much further than it being 'weird'. Muse kept mentioning that the kid said something was "going to go down" between Muse and the girl?

Just for argument's sake, let's say the kid was implying something was going on. That STILL doesn't make Muse's handling of the situation okay. No matter what, he should have gone to the principal or the kids parents or just had a normal conversation with the kid. Threatening, questioning sexuality, being gross and awkward, etc were inappropriate regardless of what the kid did.

All true. We won't know until later (and may never know). Even if there is more to this (likely there is) Muse still handled it the wrong way. But on the recording, he did not accuse him of anything and that is the only evidence we have to go on.

I don't know Muse that well, but knowing what I know about the family, I have a hard time believing anything inappropriate was going on between him and the girl. Still, the issue is his reaction to the boy.

Just for argument's sake, let's say the kid was implying something was going on. That STILL doesn't make Muse's handling of the situation okay. No matter what, he should have gone to the principal or the kids parents or just had a normal conversation with the kid. Threatening, questioning sexuality, being gross and awkward, etc were inappropriate regardless of what the kid did.

I don't disagree with you at all - Muse clearly handled the situation terribly. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is a one-sided story because we have one person reacting (badly) on tape and the other person making himself look good because he know he is taping.

All true. We won't know until later (and may never know). Even if there is more to this (likely there is) Muse still handled it the wrong way. But on the recording, he did not accuse him of anything and that is the only evidence we have to go on.

I don't know Muse that well, but knowing what I know about the family, I have a hard time believing anything inappropriate was going on between him and the girl. Still, the issue is his reaction to the boy.

Well said. I don't believe that Muse had anything going on either with the girl and I think the student probably did more then just say it was weird.

In these situations it's important for the adult to act like the adult and not get on a kids level. I don't believe cursing at the kid, threatening to sue him and his family for everything they have followed by telling the student "You'll be mine then" reflects the actions an adult should take.

Last edited:
Well said. I don't believe that Muse had anything going on either with the girl and I think the student probably did more then just say it was weird.

In these situations it's important for the adult to act like the adult and not get on a kids level. Cursing at the kid and threatening to sue him and his family for everything they've gotten and then saying "You'll be mine then."

Cursing at the kid and threatening to sue him and his family for everything they've gotten and then saying "You'll be mine then."

The key to a scathing retort or witty point or humorous joke is always in the

I would certainly run the idea about texting the daughters through the parents first and ask their permission. You could even copy them on any text to make it more transparent. Plain and simple there are ways to handle texting, and there are ways to mishandle it. Muse clearly mishandled it, and snowballed his screwup by blowing up on a kid who seemed to express at some level genuine concern.

This makes too much sense, LOL.

I agree 100% with this. IF texting is the only way a coach, especially the coach of teenage girls, feels like he can communicate with a player, then so be it. Have a team meeting and get parental consent, send out mass texts, CC the parents on the private ones. CC the AD if the girl has an unstable home life. Make copies, printouts, whatever BUT always, always, always COVER YOUR ASS.

I read or heard (maybe on this board or on fb, I can't remember) that Muse texted a girl that she was beautiful and would make a man very happy one day...now, this may be completely innocent on his part. She may have been sad about a break-up or whatever and he felt the need to console her (although, that is not his job as a coach or as a teacher) but what happens when this girl gets upset about playing time or feels like Muse was "mean" in practice or something?

This innocent text becomes a text from a dirty old man to a 16 year old girl and he loses his job.

Sucks, but that's how is is. Teenagers are hormonal, moody and vindictive and they ain't scared of shit and could care less if they ruin a rep.

Also, Mr. God Fearing Christian F-Bomb Dropper Coach needs to issue a public apology about his tirade and submit the text transcripts between him and the girl.

And the school system needs to adopt a policy regarding student/teacher/administrator texting.

fwiw, pretty sure I read in one of these articles that the KVegas cops had reviewed all the texts and found nothing illegal. But the school has not done their own review since the phone Muse was using is his own and not a school-issued one.

Agree that he should just make all the texts available, at least to the school authorities. If he hasn't by now.

I do speculate that Muse's texts were probably "innocent" (if not wise??) and also that the kid was ticked at Muse for some reason beyond the mere texting and that he likely played the angel in the session he recorded, regardless of his behavior otherwise. Whatever. Still no excuse for Muse to threaten the kid and his family. Too bad it's worked out poorly for everyone involved. Or so it seems to me at this time.

Dumbass, he get's what he deserves for acting like a teenager...

I can only imagine what Tom Muse has had to say to Mike ... something along the lines of "how could you be so stupid?"

And the parents aren't satisfied. I guess they wanted him fired. I think the five days without pay is pretty fair and ought to nip such behavior in the bud. This is a pretty significant ding to his career and his reputation. There's not enough reason to put him on the street.

I wonder if the board told him to stop texting teenage girls. Typical awesome reporting by the Journal.

And the parents aren't satisfied. I guess they wanted him fired. I think the five days without pay is pretty fair and ought to nip such behavior in the bud. This is a pretty significant ding to his career and his reputation. There's not enough reason to put him on the street.

I wonder if the board told him to stop texting teenage girls. Typical awesome reporting by the Journal.

Interesting that the superintendent made a point to say his daughter had Muse has a teacher and he was excellent. I can see the student's parents frustration though. This looks like a slap on the wrist. Hopefully he learns from it.

Yeah, you can't fire a guy 15-20 years into a teaching career for snapping one day at lunch and being a complete asshole to a kid. He's basically on probation now for the rest of his time at Forsyth County Public Schools.

Yeah, you can't fire a guy 15-20 years into a teaching career for snapping one day at lunch and being a complete asshole to a kid. He's basically on probation now for the rest of his time at Forsyth County Public Schools.

Well, you could. But I never thought he would be fired. Muse is very well liked throughout the school system.

Should've been a longer suspension, but the parents need to let it go. Done is done.

Speaking as a parent, if my kid were the one being berated on that tape I would not "let it go" till that asshole had lost his job. Did I read earlier in this thread that Tschrnko has been placed in a different school now? How in the hell is it fair that some Coach on an hour long threatening, profanity laced rant gets to take 5 days off from work and all is forgiven and this kid had to change schools over this ordeal?

So this kid recorded the event, turned tapes over to the journal, and then bitches when he doesn't get his way. Sounds like Muse was right in saying he's a little bitch.

Back