• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

So, it is culturally acceptable to defame anyone with whom you have a conflict or who has wronged you?

If there is no more to the story than what has been reported, there was no reason for the parents to make that public except to undertake vengeance against Muse. Apparently, an apology and school administered punishment isn't sufficient. Perhaps they are hoping for national media exposure!

How many teachers have sworn at students over the years without it becoming a community scandal? Of course, it shouldn't happen; but neither should it be published in the local newspaper.

Have we lost the ability to resolve personal conflicts privately and with as little damage as possible?

Huh? I'm pretty sure parents don't send their kids to school expecting them to be cursed out by authority figures who threaten to destroy their parents. Muse was away out of line. Muse wasn't defamed. His own words were used against him. He's an out of control hypocrite. It's one thing to lose your cool every now and then, but he's acting like a total asshole.

I've yet to meet a Christian who didn't sin...

I don't necessarily see a problem with curse words when used appropriately..I'm not sure that cursing alone points to any sort of moral problem. Noted, his reaction to this particular kid could be questioned.

Occasionally, its not a big deal. Hell, even I cuss on occasion. Former players and others that know him have stated often that he's very animated and has quite the foul mouth. All Christians sin, but most of them try to atone for those sins and attempt to curtail the frequency of them in the future. Nothing I've seen from him suggests he's ever made that attempt, but continues to carry on and hides behind his claim that he's a God-fearing Christian as if its an all encompassing safety net. Thats the only problem I have with the situation.

Seriously? You don't think there is anything wrong with this? He acted inappropriately. He knows that.

He does.

As someone who knows Mike Muse and family fairly well, he's a person of high character and I think probably allowed some emotions to get the best of him and said some stuff he shouldn't have which he's acknowledged.

I do think high school teachers and coaches should probably exercise some discretion texting students. I think even with the best intentions of encouraging a student to study or do well (which I no doubt believe that's what Muse was doing) it's going to raise suspicion. I personally wouldn't do it.

As far as the "I am a good christian man" we all want to defend ourselves when we feel we've been accused falsely of something. Every person, christian, or not, sins.

Occasionally, its not a big deal. Hell, even I cuss on occasion. Former players and others that know him have stated often that he's very animated and has quite the foul mouth. All Christians sin, but most of them try to atone for those sins and attempt to curtail the frequency of them in the future. Nothing I've seen from him suggests he's ever made that attempt, but continues to carry on and hides behind his claim that he's a God-fearing Christian as if its an all encompassing safety net. Thats the only problem I have with the situation.

Every coach I know at some point curses. I always got the feeling it sort of comes with the job (not justifying it).

The transcript of the recording says a lot more about Muse than posts here, be they from people who know him or otherwise. What we say when we think we're alone or not being recorded reveals our character more than any kind of spin or backpeddling after the fact.

According to the excerpts of the conversation, Muse also texted with the accuser showing that it wasn't just the girls with whom he texted. All they really need to do to clear him is print out the transcript of what's been said between Muse and the girl in question.

The part that really caused a :wtf: was this one

yeah, that was the first thing i thought. the juxtaposition of, "you know how much of-age pussy there is out there," and "my wife is AWESOME!" is rich. dude comes across terribly in this story.

this may differ from state to state - i thought it was against the law to secretly record a conversation and then release said conversation

or am i thinking of something else?

You guys are seriously mad at the student? What the fuck is sketchball Muse doing texting students all the time then flying off the handle when anyone asks him about it?

No, I am criticizing the parents for going public. Assuming that the texts were what they are purported to be, in today's world a teacher texting a student is assumed to possess a sexual character. Whether or not it is appropriate for teachers to text students ever, about anything is another matter. But, to implicate a teacher of sexual impropriety before the public is irresponsible unless the matter has been thoroughly researched and possesses substantial proof. The parents in vindicating their son against a small twinge of emotional pain have placed a shadow over the reputation of respected teacher, coach, husband and father. Needless and mean.

this may differ from state to state - i thought it was against the law to secretly record a conversation and then release said conversation

or am i thinking of something else?

North Carolina's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. North Carolina makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-287.

It didn't get printed, but in the full conversation Muse tells the kid essentially "why are you spreading shit about me? I don't spread shit about you. I don't go talking to people about how feminen you are." Paraphrased, but you can hear it about 10 minutes in to the conversation.

I posted in on the Pit thread, but this is not unusual for use. He was my coach at Odom's basketball camp years ago and cussed out players then. Not saying cussing is bad, but as a teacher and coach we are expected to act professional at all times. Cussing out a student for whatever reason is not a part of that. There is a difference between cussing with players and at players (or students)

As far as texting goes, I coach. I get permission first of all from parents to text. Second, if I text my players, it is usually for emergencies or last second cancelations of a practice or match. If you need to talk to a player about how their grades or life are, as Muse claimed he was doing, then you do it before or after practice, or at school.

A coach throwing out a few curse words seems possibly quite OK to me.

But this wasn't a conversation that occurred in the context of trying to fire up your players. From what I've read, Muse was way out of line. And so was the SRO.

And since the conversation occurred in public, I've no problem with the parents making it known. They apparently feel that whatever apology occurred or punishment was doled out doesn't seem adequate.

I don't think we really know whatever the kid was actually saying (rumors, etc.) and if it was really defamatory and inaccurate, then I can see why Muse might get worked up and lose his temper. But even if, a lot of what Muse is reported to have said is still very inappropriate. All the more reason I'd never text students in the first place. Or meet with them privately behind closed doors, etc.

Obviously, what Muse should've done is go to his boss and explain his concerns wrt the student and let cooler heads deal with the situation. I'm pretty sure he wishes that's what he did.

The "I'm a Christian" thing is just one of the stupid things he said. Probably not the stupidest.

No, I am criticizing the parents for going public.

"And unless you got some proof, you better have one hell of a (expletive) lawyer, you understand me? 'Cause I got the best in town, and I will sue you if I can find information for libel and for (expletive) slander, and I will take you and your parents for every ounce of money, house, home, whatever you got. I will go after you. Do you understand that?"

Mr. respected christian man just threatened the student and his family, what else were they supposed to do?

"And unless you got some proof, you better have one hell of a (expletive) lawyer, you understand me? 'Cause I got the best in town, and I will sue you if I can find information for libel and for (expletive) slander, and I will take you and your parents for every ounce of money, house, home, whatever you got. I will go after you. Do you understand that?"

Mr. respected christian man just threatened the student and his family, what else were they supposed to do?

And they received no assistance from the school either, it appears.

Exactly. Considering all the anti-bullying campaigns going on in schools, the school can't allow a teacher to get away with doing the same.

A coach throwing out a few curse words seems possibly quite OK to me.

But this wasn't a conversation that occurred in the context of trying to fire up you players. From what I've read, Muse was way out of line. And so was the SRO.

And since the conversation occurred in public, I've no problem with the parents making it known. They apparently feel that whatever apology occurred or punishment was doled out doesn't seem adequate.

I don't think we really know whatever the kid was actually saying (rumors, etc.) and if it was really defamatory and inaccurate, then I can see why Muse might get worked up and lose his temper. But even if, a lot of what Muse is reported to have said is still very inappropriate. All the more reason I'd never text students in the first place. Or meet with them privately behind closed doors, etc.

Obviously, what Muse should've done is go to his boss and explain his concerns wrt the student and let cooler heads deal with the situation. I'm pretty sure he wishes that's what he did.

The "I'm a Christian" thing is just one of the stupid things he said. Probably not the stupidest.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That assertion is contradicted by the conversation.

yeah, that was the first thing i thought. the juxtaposition of, "you know how much of-age pussy there is out there," and "my wife is AWESOME!" is rich. dude comes across terribly in this story.

That was, to me, by far the weirdest and sketchiest part of the story.

original.jpg

Back