• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

You don't have to be an educator to know that when you think someone is acting inappropriately you take it to the boss, supervisor, or, in this case, the principal. If Mike had done that, there would have been a conference b/t himself, the principal and perhaps the boy's parents. That's what real professionals do -- handle things professionally.

Our educators are overworked and underpaid.

I am not an educator so I guess I should not have a strong opinion about the role of texting or not texting in that setting.

Doesn't the article say the assistant principal was at the table while all this was going on? It also says that other teachers could be heard making remarks towards the student while this tirade was occuring. WTH is wrong with that place???!!!! That points to a bigger issue at that school, what are they covering up? Muse is a total loser and douchebag. He should without question lose his job and way to protect students mr policeman.

Last edited:
This is my favorite quote:

I swear to God there's enough (vagina) out there that's 21 and older that I don't need to dip into an 18-year-old and younger population. That, plus the fact that I've got a wife that I'm pretty passionate about.

Wow. Not only did he threaten the kid and his family, he basically called the kid out as being gay when he said the he didn't question his 'femininity'. This is gonna get nasty.

This is my favorite quote:

I swear to God there's enough (vagina) out there that's 21 and older that I don't need to dip into an 18-year-old and younger population. That, plus the fact that I've got a wife that I'm pretty passionate about.

"Ohyeah and I guess that whole wife thing."

Why was he texting a student again? That's retarded.
To check up on her grades and how life is.

coaches should have their student's phone numbers, but the only reason to text or call is is emergency situations (canceled practice at last minute, kid didn't show up to practice, etc)

He was a huge dick at Wake from all my experiences.

You must have had limited experience with him then. Everyone I knew from Wake has always remarked about him being first class particuarly the players. I still remember the story of him trying to resesitate Skip and the famous photo of him sitting on the quad in tears after Skip's passing.

Takes a brave man to text young girls with all the crazy stuff autocorrect shoots out these days

"I'm a good Christian man..."

So pathetic that he hides behind his religion. Just man up and admit your mistake without the religious nonsense thrown in as cover.

And while I agree he went overboard with his response, I do think he has a right to defend himself if he thinks his livelihood is being threatened. Our culture is obsessed with rushing to judgement as far as teachers are concerned, and he seems acutely aware that even a rumor without proof could do long term damage to his career and reputation.

I actually had the administrator of the after school program at Whitaker elementary call me to pass along that another parent was raising hell because my oldest son "disrespected" her precious little angel by pointing out he got a better score than him on an exam. This administrator was petrified that if I wasn't notified immediately of this problem that it could cause longer term problems and place the school in an unwinnable position. That this guy had to spend even more than 10 seconds of thought on something so harmless tells me a lot. Our educators and administrators must feel like there is a noose slowly tightening around their necks at all times, and that all it takes is one parent getting all butthurt over the experience one of their kids had at school and their career might be over.

Last edited:
To check up on her grades and how life is.

coaches should have their student's phone numbers, but the only reason to text or call is is emergency situations (canceled practice at last minute, kid didn't show up to practice, etc)

Yeah I had this discussion with mom this morning. My younger sister is a high school student and she said it wasn't uncommon for coaches or teachers such has band to have students number but it was more for like rescheduing a rehearsal or practice.

He did go overboard with his comments. But we live in a time where a kid can make accusations (true or false) and it is taken so seriouisly to the point of firing the person (guilty or not) and ruining a career that has been built the right way. If someone accused me of something like this and made it public, I would fight like hell to clear my name as well. Gotta be a balance somewhere, but I don't know where it is.

He did go overboard with his comments. But we live in a time where a kid can make accusations (true or false) and it is taken so seriouisly to the point of firing the person (guilty or not) and ruining a career that has been built the right way. If someone accused me of something like this and made it public, I would fight like hell to clear my name as well. Gotta be a balance somewhere, but I don't know where it is.

I agree. The frustrating part is there's a process to handling these things and Muse let his emotions get the most of him and neither the school resource officer or the other teachers and faculty around stepped up and sort of cooled things off. The balance was to not do this in the lunch room but do it most likely in the principal's office with the boy's parents present and get to the bottom of the situation. Muse seem to be thinking 5 steps ahead that this was going to snow ball rather then handling this in a more professional manner.

The balance is that if you've got a problem with a student, and obviously one that Muse considered to be quite serious, you call the parents and the student in for a meeting. You don't go off verbally assault/threaten a 15yo student in the middle of a crowded school cafeteria. And it was like 5on1... was there not one adult present thinking that this might not be the best way to handle the problem?

Very true. But based on the tapes, it sounds like the kid just said he thought it was weird that Muse texted this girl so much. The kids know about the extra-curriculars that have gone on between students and teachers; it seems that this student had the best interest of his friend in mind.

If the kid spread rumors about them banging, then that is a problem. Nothing though seems to prove that is the case. I do not envy the principal at East one bit; this is a tough situation to deal with. It is tough being a teacher, even tougher being a principal when these situations arise.

Very true. But based on the tapes, it sounds like the kid just said he thought it was weird that Muse texted this girl so much. The kids know about the extra-curriculars that have gone on between students and teachers; it seems that this student had the best interest of his friend in mind.

If the kid spread rumors about them banging, then that is a problem. Nothing though seems to prove that is the case. I do not envy the principal at East one bit; this is a tough situation to deal with. It is tough being a teacher, even tougher being a principal when these situations arise.

I think Muse's reaction was overboard even if the kid HAD been saying he thought that was going on. The fact that he just said it was 'weird' makes the reaction even worse. I don't think this should be a tough decision - he threatened the kid, made suggestions about his sexual preference, and said a lot of weird stuff about how he could get plenty of 21+ women so why would he need to go 18 and younger (that's just weird and inappropriate).

I also thought this part from the officer was very strange

...he can't come on the campus. You know why? There's a ton of kids that want to jump that student and beat the ever-living crap out of that student because Mr. Stephens was well-liked, well-loved.

I also thought this part from the officer was very strange

Yup, I never could figure out what the school resource officer thought he was accomplishing. He mention the previous teacher and was like that student can't come here because the teacher was loved, but the teacher did break the law. Then he throws in there about how is the kid going to feel when he has to see his family at Wal Mart upset because he caused him to lose his job.

Back