• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

Doesn't the article say the assistant principal was at the table while all this was going on? It also says that other teachers could be heard making remarks towards the student while this tirade was occuring. WTH is wrong with that place???!!!! That points to a bigger issue at that school, what are they covering up? Muse is a total loser and douchebag. He should without question lose his job and way to protect students mr policeman.

There are a lot of things wrong with East Forsyth right now. It really is a terrible school atm, I definitely wouldn't send my kids to that school.

To check up on her grades and how life is.

coaches should have their student's phone numbers, but the only reason to text or call is is emergency situations (canceled practice at last minute, kid didn't show up to practice, etc)

Sketch, man, sketch.

Very true. But based on the tapes, it sounds like the kid just said he thought it was weird that Muse texted this girl so much. The kids know about the extra-curriculars that have gone on between students.

That is the point though. The kids do know that there have been instances of this happening. So they need to know something for sure before they say something like this. They know everyone will assume the worst right now. I think this could have been handled better, but I understand trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.

My daughters' coaches write them e-mails, texts and handwritten notes all the time. Typically they are things that go to the whole team - about schedules, changes, etc. as well as notes of encouragement, etc. Sometimes they are more individual - not team-wide. No one thinks a thing about it... Of course my girls are cheerleaders and the coaches are also female.

I don't see anything wrong, per se, with a coach texting one of his players - the fact of the matter is that texting is the preferred method of communication for HS kids these days.

Of course it becomes a problem if he is texting one player all the time and not the others - or if the messages are inappropriate in any way. But, that would be true for any type of communication. Texting just provides a new way of delivering the message.

The danger for coaches is that texting provides a record... Of course, as long as the communication is appropriate, that is also the saving grace - he can prove what he said or did not say.

I think Muse's reaction was overboard even if the kid HAD been saying he thought that was going on. The fact that he just said it was 'weird' makes the reaction even worse. I don't think this should be a tough decision - he threatened the kid, made suggestions about his sexual preference, and said a lot of weird stuff about how he could get plenty of 21+ women so why would he need to go 18 and younger (that's just weird and inappropriate).

I also thought this part from the officer was very strange

I agree 100%. My fault, I wasn't real clear with my post

That is the point though. The kids do know that there have been instances of this happening. So they need to know something for sure before they say something like this. They know everyone will assume the worst right now. I think this could have been handled better, but I understand trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.
I agree. Like I said, the kid's side of the story is he just thought it was weird. That is all that has come out from him, so that is all we have to go on. Maybe he did tell people they were banging, we don't know.

Absolutley could have been handled better. Question is now how will EF handle it since it is in the public view now.

There is almost always a "history" behind heated exchanges like this. It is impossible for people reading newspaper accounts to know that history. They are left to form judgments on the abbreviated material reported. Granted the reported statements are enough to conclude that Muse was way out of line in his remarks. However our judgment of him might be somewhat lessened if we knew the history. Maybe not. But, I suspect most of us have been pushed to a breaking point by certain people and while perhaps not cursing at them we have said things that were improper...things for which we later asked forgiveness. In almost every case, the breaking point was not the result of one event or conversation; rather it was the result of numerous provocations over time.

Most will never know the "history" behind this regretful event. The newspaper will not report the history and probably cannot do so. But, I bet there is a history here. And while the history could not excuse the coarse and bizarre expressions, that history might lessen the severity of our judgments. The point: a measure of reserve should be exercised by those who cannot know the rest of the story.

What did the texts say? Let's see that before Judging.

Texting is an everyday part of life these days sadly. I get and send texts to and from employees, clients, opposing counsel, kids of clients, and even Judges. My godson, who is 8, sends me 2-3 texts per week and it is the main way we communicate.

That is perfectly normal in socienty these days and particularly in my profession (litigation). Stated more clearly, if you don't text, the world has passed you by at this point and you are noncompetitor in my industry.

I do not know the world for educators but as most of the people they deal with are well under 30 I suspect if they are like most people under 30 I know, the text message is commonplace.

Do I wish it was not? Yes, frankly I hate the text message. You can't save it to prove anything and it's harder to type. But it's a necessary evil in 2012.

I get and send texts to and from employees, clients, opposing counsel, kids of clients, and even Judges.

No women?

j/k

The salient point in this case is that this is a school staff member texting a person who is in his custodial care and a girl at that. It is simply just not prudent in any way.

Texting is an everyday part of life these days sadly. I get and send texts to and from employees, clients, opposing counsel, kids of clients, and even Judges. My godson, who is 8, sends me 2-3 texts per week and it is the main way we communicate.

That is perfectly normal in socienty these days and particularly in my profession (litigation). Stated more clearly, if you don't text, the world has passed you by at this point and you are noncompetitor in my industry.

I do not know the world for educators but as most of the people they deal with are well under 30 I suspect if they are like most people under 30 I know, the text message is commonplace.

Do I wish it was not? Yes, frankly I hate the text message. You can't save it to prove anything and it's harder to type. But it's a necessary evil in 2012.

If you do not know the world of educators how do you know they are overworked and underpaid? I don't understand.

All true, but there's no way you actually believe this:
It's clear he did nothing inappropriate.

Not sure that anyone on here is passing judgement on the text messages. I say you take that out completely, and deal with it as a separate issue. He acted inappropriately by talking to this student the way that he did. That is the issue. With the recording, I'm afraid you cannot effectively spin it any differently.

Fair enough, he said some inappropriate things. Fine, I'll give you that. We all do it in the heat of the moment. You better believe I do. So what? That goes in the newspaper? Come on, man.

On more thought, I would think good coaches/teachers are ones who are part of kid's lives. I haven't fully thought through it but I would think that is something we want. Texting is an integral part of that with that generation.

Fair enough, he said some inappropriate things. Fine, I'll give you that. We all do it in the heat of the moment. You better believe I do. So what? That goes in the newspaper? Come on, man.

On more thought, I would think good coaches/teachers are ones who are part of kid's lives. I haven't fully thought through it but I would think that is something we want. Texting is an integral part of that with that generation.

I don't disagree. With this particular encounter, he was being everything but a good coach/teacher to the young man involved who was, at the end of the day, a student.

The paper didn't dig for this. It was brought to them. They should have published it. I hope that they felt obligated to.

-cool heads always prevail
- Coach Muse is right that this kid can't just spreading rumors with the changing of times
-BUT- Muse cannot fire off at the mouth like that because it makes him look bad.
- Coaches should be allowed to text players it is called communication
- kids can get any teacher fired if they want ---FACT----- that is sad
- don't play that "god fearing christian" crap after you cuss like a sailor....makes you look bad

Pretty tough quote in that 2nd article:

----------------------------------------------

Muse: Do you think something's going on with me and her?

Tschrnko: No.

Muse: Then can you squash it? Can you make sure it doesn't get talked about again? … I got enough problems as it is already and being the girls softball coach, guess what, I got 46 girls in my program. You think I'm not going to text any of them? You think I'm not going to be their surrogate daddy? Cause some of them don't have daddies. You understand where I'm coming from and I swear to God there's enough (vagina) out there that's 21 and older that I don't need to dip into an 18-year-old and younger population. That, plus the fact that I've got a wife that I'm pretty passionate about. And I have two daughters and a son. Why would I treat these girls right here any differently than I'm going to treat my own daughter and my own son?

------------------------------------------------

Seems to me Muse screwed up pretty bad regardless of whether he did anything inappropriate with the girl. As a leader of the school he has no right to talk like this to a student, any student. The last few sentences aren't going to play well with his family either. Sounds like he is saying that he can get girls his own age to sleep with him, why would he need to dip into the high school population....not an article you want to wake up to reading the next morning if you are a member of the Muse family.

-cool heads always prevail
- Coach Muse is right that this kid can't just spreading rumors with the changing of times
-BUT- Muse cannot fire off at the mouth like that because it makes him look bad.
- Coaches should be allowed to text players it is called communication
- kids can get any teacher fired if they want ---FACT----- that is sad
- don't play that "god fearing christian" crap after you cuss like a sailor....makes you look bad

Of course coaches should be allowed to text, but there are better ways to achieve what Muse was trying to achieve. He can talk to the girl at practice or if he has concerns about her then get her out of class for a few minutes and talk in the hall way. He can tell her to come see him before or after school or between classes even. It happens all the time. As has been said, the issue here is not the texting, its the response from Muse.

On your point of kids can get any teacher fired if they want; what proof do you have for that? Of all the teachers from Forsyth Co that have been fired for misconduct with students, how many have been proven innocent of their crimes? It is FACT, so I assume you have some proof for it.

IIRC wasn't Muse a bball coach in the past?

Also, there was a pretty serious case of teacher misconduct at East about 15 years ago that led to the laws being changed to felonies for inappropriate relationships I believe. I think it involved the football coaches and there were videotapes (!!)

Back