• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So... this Mike Muse stuff...

No, I am criticizing the parents for going public. Assuming that the texts were what they are purported to be, in today's world a teacher texting a student is assumed to possess a sexual character. Whether or not it is appropriate for teachers to text students ever, about anything is another matter. But, to implicate a teacher of sexual impropriety before the public is irresponsible unless the matter has been thoroughly researched and possesses substantial proof. The parents in vindicating their son against a small twinge of emotional pain have placed a shadow over the reputation of respected teacher, coach, husband and father. Needless and mean.

That respected teacher, coach, husband and father is an asshole.

"And unless you got some proof, you better have one hell of a (expletive) lawyer, you understand me? 'Cause I got the best in town, and I will sue you if I can find information for libel and for (expletive) slander, and I will take you and your parents for every ounce of money, house, home, whatever you got. I will go after you. Do you understand that?"

Mr. respected christian man just threatened the student and his family, what else were they supposed to do?

perhaps they should wait until his lawyer actually contacts them? going public might be the surest route to provoking legal action. they might be sued now.

perhaps they should wait until his lawyer actually contacts them? going public might be the surest route to provoking legal action. they might be sued now.

Going public with a recording? Is Muse going to contest that he didn't actually say what the recording suggests he said?

Going public with a recording? Is Muse going to contest that he didn't actually say what the recording suggests he said?

And what he said was in public...no expectation of or right to privacy, I'd imagine.

You think I'm not going to be their surrogate daddy? Cause some of them don't have daddies. You understand where I'm coming from and I swear to God there's enough (vagina) out there that's 21 and older that I don't need to dip into an 18-year-old and younger population. That, plus the fact that I've got a wife that I'm pretty passionate about.

The juxtaposition of daddy, vagina, and wife grosses me out.

I can't think of any legitimate legal claim to bring suit. And I was amused by the whole "I've got the best lawyer in town" statement.

I don't really know how you can defend the coach on this. It's not like the kid just got cursed at a little - he's being bullied, threatened with lawsuit, etc. And if all the kid really said was just that it was weird? It IS weird.

I don't think the parents releasing it was out of line. They felt like they weren't getting any help from the school. I honestly think releasing the recording of what actually happened is better than them just claiming that Muse threatened/cursed at/yelled at their son.

I have no acquaintance with Muse and I did not read the transcript. I have strong personal opinions about people who habitually swear, especially authority figures. I am not defending Muse. My issue is with making it public before the community and what that says about our society. Have we lost the capacity to work through interpersonal conflicts privately? Must we resort to drastic measures whenever we or our children have been wronged within our community? Perhaps this would need to be made public at some point, but it seems that more should have been done before it reached that level.

Muse will probably lose his job over this. I expect that will happen. You have to separate the texting issue from this conversation. It doesn't matter why he was upset. What matters in this conversation is that he treated this student as a peer, and he stooped to the level of a high schooler to do that. That cannot happen. He should know better. This is also bigger than just Muse, because it seems like there were plenty of other school employees sitting by watching.

I have no acquaintance with Muse and I did not read the transcript. I have strong personal opinions about people who habitually swear, especially authority figures. I am not defending Muse. My issue is with making it public before the community and what that says about our society. Have we lost the capacity to work through interpersonal conflicts privately? Must we resort to drastic measures whenever we or our children have been wronged within our community? Perhaps this would need to be made public at some point, but it seems that more should have been done before it reached that level.

Flip that concern to Muse solving his problem by publicly humiliating and threatening a kid rather than taking it to school officials.

I hear you, but it seems the authorities failed to work an adequate private conciliation between Muse and the student and family he threatened. Maybe they did all they could, maybe not. I don't know.

Flip that concern to Muse solving his problem by publicly humiliating and threatening a kid rather than taking it to school officials.

That's what I was going to say - he didn't show any capacity to work through this interpersonal problem as an adult/leader in the school.

I don't know exactly how quickly the parents released this recording but the first article linked in the OP states that the parents released it because they felt like the school wasn't doing anything. Maybe they felt that Muse in school teaching the next day indicated that nothing was going to be done therefore released it.

Something about a God fearing Christian man cursing so much, and cursing out a kid just seems off to me. From accounts I've heard and seen in the past, he's got a history of cursing loud and often. I see people like this all the time, they claim to be devout Christians, but certain aspects of their life couldnt be further from that. I have no problem with him cursing as he does, but he's claiming to be something his actions are disproving.

Completely agree, good Christians don't talk like that and especially not to kids. You don't defend yourself by saying I'm a good Christian and follow it up with every cuss word in the book.

Maybe they felt that Muse in school teaching the next day indicated that nothing was going to be done therefore released it.

It's tough enough for kids to go to school when they're feeling bullied or pressured by classmates. Imagine the sense of helplessness when it's an administrator or staff member. A kid is supposed to take a complaint to another member of the staff who may be a pal of the staff member? The stakes are that much higher. Any discussion about a possible poor choice by the parents of the student are grossly secondary to the issue at hand which is voiced by Muse himself.

Our educators are overworked and underpaid.

I am not an educator so I guess I should not have a strong opinion about the role of texting or not texting in that setting.

I am not an educator so I guess I should not have a strong opinion about the role of texting or not texting in that setting.

This is true but is that an excuse for his behavior?

My HS golf coach (who also coached girls basketball) got fired for texting one of his bball players in an apparently inappropriate way. I don't know what he said, but it's just stupid to be texting in that situation. The most benign words can be misconstrued (which is what I'd bet happened to him).

As for cursing, it was always normal on any team I was on, although what this guy did was way over that line.

I suggest you make a gift to the Guilford County Schools.

Back