• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, Vandy Is Off All Future OOC Schedules?

Pilchard

Reaction score
Was just looking at future WF FB schedules, and noticed that Vandy is no longer listed as an OOC opponent. Perhaps this is Haas, but I thought that WF has at least one game with Vandy left.

Was not a big fan of the Vandy series, but given the new requirement that each ACC team play at least one OOC game a year against a Power 5 conference school, will be interested to see who WF plays after the 2015/2016 Indiana home and home.

FWIW, according to www.fbschedules.com, here are WF's current OCS opponents:

Elon
@Army
Indiana
@ ND

Delaware
Tulane
@Indiana

Utah State (hope WF drops this game)

Rice
@ Tulane

Utah State

Tulane

Last edited:
The entire series got cancelled.

Why do you want us to drop Utah State? We negotiated a 2 for 1 deal with them and it's a fine series.

ETA: I think we still have a game against Northern Illinois outstanding that isn't on the schedule. Am I making this up?

I think we should play Texas Tech and Kliff's bunch of merry men

I still laugh at the Tulane series. We're a good 20 years or so from when it was originally inked arent we?

I guess if you want a random non-Power 5 conference BCS team as an OOC opponent, Utah State is as good as playing anyone else, but there will be no interest in that game, and Utah State has become a decent program. If WF is going to play a meaningless OOC opponent, WF should play an opponent that it can be reasonably confident that it would beat (GA State, ODU, Kent State, UMASS, E. Michigan, App State).

Does Tulane still play in the Dome? That would be a fun road trip. Tickets shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to see Vandy back on our schedule now and then given the mandate to play power 5 conference foes. Comparable school/program and a good and accessible road trip location.

I know every school does it and I understand the reasoning, but I hate the idea of scheduling weak sisters just because WF needs the wins. By the same token, I hate our undying love affair with Army and Navy. If I never see Army on a WF football schedule again, it'll be too soon.

That said, the OOC scheduling got a massive upgrade under Grobe. Been loads of fun to see Purdue, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Stanford, Baylor, and ND play in Winston.

Does Tulane still play in the Dome? That would be a fun road trip. Tickets shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to see Vandy back on our schedule now and then given the mandate to play power 5 conference foes. Comparable school/program and a good and accessible road trip location.

No, they opened an on-campus stadium this year, Georgia Tech was the first home game, in fact.

I know every school does it and I understand the reasoning, but I hate the idea of scheduling weak sisters just because WF needs the wins. By the same token, I hate our undying love affair with Army and Navy. If I never see Army on a WF football schedule again, it'll be too soon.

That said, the OOC scheduling got a massive upgrade under Grobe. Been loads of fun to see Purdue, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Stanford, Baylor, and ND play in Winston.

Roughly coincides with the expansion to the 12-game regular schedule and the requirement that only one win against at 1-AA team can count for bowl eligibility.

I guess if you want a random non-Power 5 conference BCS team as an OOC opponent, Utah State is as good as playing anyone else, but there will be no interest in that game, and Utah State has become a decent program. If WF is going to play a meaningless OOC opponent, WF should play an opponent that it can be reasonably confident that it would beat (GA State, ODU, Kent State, UMASS, E. Michigan, App State).

Agree 100%. Why play a no-name school that could beat you?

The OOC schedule only really matters for the final four. We should just try to get to a bowl game, and build on that. One power 5, two lower D-1, and a FCS should do it. This year we couldn't even succeed with an easier type of schedule.

The OOC schedule only really matters for the final four. We should just try to get to a bowl game, and build on that. One power 5, two lower D-1, and a FCS should do it. This year we couldn't even succeed with an easier type of schedule.

This.

I really like playing the service academies home & away. They fit our academic profile better, plus they ar fun trips. I liked this year's trip to Utah State, it was a lot of fun going to Yellowstone, but once is enough. Let's get Rice & Northwestern back on.

Can't believe how bad Vandy is this year. I mean I knew they'd fall back to earth after Franklin left, but I didn't know the fall would be this fast. The barely got by Charleston Southern Saturday night 21-20.

Franklin took like 10 of their incoming recruits with him or something absurd.

Yeah, but you wouldn't think that would have that big of an affect this year really, unless they lost a ton of guys that were seniors last year and were depending heavily on the incoming true freshman to fill the voids.

OOC schedule for final four doesn't even matter. Look at MS State OOC. Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UT-Martin.

Ole Miss has Boise State, LA-Lafayette, Memphis and Presbyeterian.

Reality is conference champ is getting in over a team who loses the conference title but has a better OOC schedule.

Vandy lost a ton senior starters, including their best offensive player in decades WR Jordan Matthews (whose circus catch single-handedly beat WF last year and who is playing for the Eagles this year). They also lost their entire secondary among 6 starters gone from defense. With or without Franklin, Vandy would have struggled this year, but add in to the losses, that a) Franklin raided the 2014 Vandy recruiting class, which looked like their best ever, and b) that the new coach, Derek Mason, has struggled to implement a new system, the result is a really bad football team, with a future that looks bleak.

OOC schedule for final four doesn't even matter. Look at MS State OOC. Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UT-Martin.

Ole Miss has Boise State, LA-Lafayette, Memphis and Presbyeterian.

Reality is conference champ is getting in over a team who loses the conference title but has a better OOC schedule.

You are missing the point about OOC schedule for teams with a legit chance to compete for an NC. Obviously any team that wins the SEC can play any 4 lame OOC opponents and get to the 4 team playoff, but Miss. State's OOC schedule will cost them if they go unbeaten until the Egg Bowl and then lose that game (or Ole Miss does the same). The deciding factor among the many 1 loss teams seeking the last spot or two for the playoff will be schedule, and the committee has already stated that they will reward teams that play tougher OOC opponents (this is also why Baylor is hosed if they lose a game as their OOC schedule is a joke). Auburn played at Kansas Sate and won. Bama played WV on a neutral field and won; Georgia played Clemson and will also play Georgia Tech; when the committee sorts through the teams vying for the tournament; a pathetic OOC schedule will be costly.

Last edited:
Yeah, and a 12-1 Mississippi State or Ole Miss team that loses to Georgia in the SECCG may get hosed anyway.

There are also the teams like a 12-0 Boise State or Hawaii (just pulling names out of my butthole obviously) that can get shut out of the playoff on SOS, especially if you have a handful of one-loss teams to choose from.

Back