• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sousa and Cameron

Plain facts:

1. Tanner is the QB

2. Tanner had a bad night for several reasons, himself, Givens, and excellent defensive execution by MSU. We got outcoached bigtime by their DC.

3. Nothing wrong with competition for all the starter spots, but I'll take TPrice every day with time in the pocket, thank you very much.

4. When the defense can't make a key play, and special teams let you down, the pressure on the offense is too much. The reverse is also true. 2006 should tell you all you need to know about that

Skinner must have sent his nekkid photo to jamesda's wife or daughter. Only explanation I can come up with.

I think competition makes other players better and I have heard Grobe talk about this a lot. I hope the other QB's compete and if they're better then they play OR they make Tanner even better and he's the guy. Tanner is still the starter though and had a good season.

Tanner doesn't seem to display the determination and leadership that I thought he would. Let's see what a little spring ball competition brings. I believe he will rise to the ocassion.

Agree with tenor of this thread. Tanner looked like a deer in headlights tonight. If you are scared, you will throw it poorly, as he did. He had a very good season, but if I am Grobe, I give all QBs a chance at it.

Very true. I said on the other board that he looked like he was in a fog. Ialso don't think Lobo lost the game. Option on 3rd. was horrible, but generally we just failed to make plays. Tanner wasn't helped by the OL either.

Plain facts:

1. Tanner is the QB

2. Tanner had a bad night for several reasons, himself, Givens, and excellent defensive execution by MSU. We got outcoached bigtime by their DC.

3. Nothing wrong with competition for all the starter spots, but I'll take TPrice every day with time in the pocket, thank you very much.

4. When the defense can't make a key play, and special teams let you down, the pressure on the offense is too much. The reverse is also true. 2006 should tell you all you need to know about that

Are we really blaming last night on the defense? I get special teams, they were horrible but the defense? They forced 4 turnovers, got a huge 3 and out (when some on here said we should have onside kicked it) to get the offense the ball back. We had the ball twice in Mississippi State territory and ended up with a blocked FG and another drive when we had the ball at their 30 and ended up losing 4 yards and having to punt.

Last edited:
So many reactionary posts. I'm all for QB competition, but I would be very surprised if Tanner doesn't start every game he's healthy next year.

I have no problem with billgeorge's suggestion and thought the same after the game. however, I don't think there's a chance in hell Tanner won't be starting in game 1 next year and hopefully he will learn from last night.

Tanner just didn't look good at times last night. A lot of indecision. A lot of missed receivers. He made three bad throws in a row on that last drive when the cowbells were playing soft - two overthrows on crossing routes and the under throw on the out.

I agree that it is Tanner's job to lose, though.

I mean, I'd like some token competition... Push Tanner to improve leading up to the start of the year. But to imply that Sousa's going to have a realistic chance of beating him out is asinine. And Cameron's going to be redshirted, in all likelihood, so his presence is irrelevant (though I think he has a good chance to be the best of that trio when all is said and done).

I mean, I'd like some token competition... Push Tanner to improve leading up to the start of the year. But to imply that Sousa's going to have a realistic chance of beating him out is asinine. And Cameron's going to be redshirted, in all likelihood, so his presence is irrelevant (though I think he has a good chance to be the best of that trio when all is said and done).

Cameron has the most impressive offer list of any incoming Wake QB I've seen since I began following the recruiting services. I also think he will be redshirted with Tanner and Sousa on the depth charts in front of him now.

I do believe Tanner will be our QB in the spring and fall. Competition is a good thing. However, in our last six games Tanner is 118-202-1196 yards and 6 TD/ 3 Int's I think. That's 199 per game and 1 TD per game. He had 320 and 3TD's in one game (our only win in that stretch). I saw some awful throws last night. Again, competition can be a good thing. Go Deacs!

Tanner had an offer from Harbough and he knows talent. We are at the crossroads of Tanners career. He is still only what 19 2 year in the program and this is the first year where he really had the pressure to perform going through the stretch to get bowl eligible to the bowl game itself. I think we seen great improvement early this year and late in his decision making I think next year is where it all comes together.

Basically what I think is Skinner was an average skilled QB with that "it" factor that allowed him to make a big play here and there but his numbers minus completion % was never great.

Tanner has all the physical tools and is developing some experience and a pocket presence. He is still young and it shows and next year his time is running out clock starts ticking and it all comes together. He still has the chance to win two bowl games after all that is what Riley did didn't he?

Lets not forget that Tanner was running for his life most of the night, he did play badly and miss some plays when he had time and they were there. However, the OL hardly slowed down the blitz and the playcalling did nothing to help him defeat it either. Why don't we run hots to a wr or te on a quick slant against the blitz like most other teams. Tanner has the job unless he really stinks it up in the spring or gets hurt, I can't see anyone taking the job from him. I would take him any day of the week over Skinner. He will leave Skinners numbers in the dust before he is done.

Lets not forget that Tanner was running for his life most of the night, he did play badly and miss some plays when he had time and they were there. However, the OL hardly slowed down the blitz and the playcalling did nothing to help him defeat it either. Why don't we run hots to a wr or te on a quick slant against the blitz like most other teams. Tanner has the job unless he really stinks it up in the spring or gets hurt, I can't see anyone taking the job from him. I would take him any day of the week over Skinner. He will leave Skinners numbers in the dust before he is done.

Really!?!

I mean, the constant blitz is certainly a factor, and the pass protection was awful. (And he had a #1 receiver that was mostly uninterested in getting open, which of course will add to the problem.) I don't think that's an excuse that can be used heavily here, though.

Tanner's a pocket QB, and part of that is being agile in the pocket, mobile when you have to be, and recognizing pressure. He didn't react well to the blitzes at all, save for the nice completion in the 1st quarter when he stepped up and fired it over the middle. It's a constant trend at this point, and really the one part of his game that's lacking.

I don't understand why he didn't anticipate the blitzes, especially in the second half when they were coming with regularity. Obviously, that's easier for me to say when I'm sitting and watching the game, but he should have been able to notice outside blitzes and audible his WRs into a sort of quick route. There were a few times when I noticed before the play that the slot receiver was completely uncovered, or the DB covering him was showing blitz, and Tanner looked lost when that blitz came. I have to believe that with everything he's done, Price has the authority to tinker with plays on the fly. If he does, why does he use that ability so rarely? And if he doesn't, why not?

Again, Price shares a very small part of the blame (most of it is with the OL and backfield blocking), but blitz awareness is a definite part of his game that needs improving. I believe the rest of the holes in his play (mainly inconsistencies with his accuracy) will go away as he continues to develop physically.

That all being said, as I said in my previous post, the idea that he won't be the starter next season is ludicrous. Redshirt Cameron and tell Price that Sousa will be given a chance to win it before the season, and one of two things will happen. Either Price will play well enough that it's a moot point (by far, the most likely scenario), or he plays badly but keeps the starting QB spot because he's the incumbent.

I forgot to mention the best part of all this: We get to have Tyler Cameron, perhaps the most impressive QB recruit in our program's history, as a RS Freshman backup to a guy who, by the time his senior season rolls around, may very well be the most productive QB in our program's history.

Cameron could be a dominant first-time starter as a RS Soph. I'm pretty excited for the possible lack of a talent gap in that transition.

I mean, the constant blitz is certainly a factor, and the pass protection was awful. (And he had a #1 receiver that was mostly uninterested in getting open, which of course will add to the problem.) I don't think that's an excuse that can be used heavily here, though.

Tanner's a pocket QB, and part of that is being agile in the pocket, mobile when you have to be, and recognizing pressure. He didn't react well to the blitzes at all, save for the nice completion in the 1st quarter when he stepped up and fired it over the middle. It's a constant trend at this point, and really the one part of his game that's lacking.

I don't understand why he didn't anticipate the blitzes, especially in the second half when they were coming with regularity. Obviously, that's easier for me to say when I'm sitting and watching the game, but he should have been able to notice outside blitzes and audible his WRs into a sort of quick route. There were a few times when I noticed before the play that the slot receiver was completely uncovered, or the DB covering him was showing blitz, and Tanner looked lost when that blitz came. I have to believe that with everything he's done, Price has the authority to tinker with plays on the fly. If he does, why does he use that ability so rarely? And if he doesn't, why not?

Again, Price shares a very small part of the blame (most of it is with the OL and backfield blocking), but blitz awareness is a definite part of his game that needs improving. I believe the rest of the holes in his play (mainly inconsistencies with his accuracy) will go away as he continues to develop physically.

That all being said, as I said in my previous post, the idea that he won't be the starter next season is ludicrous. Redshirt Cameron and tell Price that Sousa will be given a chance to win it before the season, and one of two things will happen. Either Price will play well enough that it's a moot point (by far, the most likely scenario), or he plays badly but keeps the starting QB spot because he's the incumbent.

I think we are in agreement.

Back